Things to know and study for ExamI
Lecture 1 - Chapters 1 and 2
• What is Science? What is not Science?
• What is the scientific method and how is it used?
• What is a control or a controlled study?
• What is scientific error?
• What is scientific bias?
• What are Koch’s postulates?
• What the characteristics of living things?
• What is the overriding biological goal?
• How is matter organized? What levels are involved?
• What is equilibrium? What is entropy? And how do these relate to the 2 law of
• What are emergent properties and why are they important?
• Be able to describe the different bonds between atoms
• What is a molecule? What is a macromolecule? What is an ion?
• Describe the general abiotic theory for the emergence of life
Lecture 2 – Chapter 2
• Be able to recognize and distinguish characteristics and uses of different
• How is protein structure organized?
• What is ATP and what is its role in cells?
Lecture 3 (including supplement) – Chapter 3 and parts of Chapter 21
• Why are enzymes important for life and how do they work?
• What is cellular respiration?
• What are cells composed of?
• What are the 3 domains of living organisms on earth?
• What is a cell membrane and what functions does it provide?
• Be able to describe tonicity, diffusion, osmosis and types of transport.
• What are prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells? Know their differences.
• How did eukaryotic cells originate?
• What are the major roles of the different organelles?
• Be able to locate parts of cells and name them.
• What do the cytoskeletal elements do for the cell?
• What is the endomembrane system? HSCI100 Human Biology – Spring 2014
• What is endo/exocytosis?
• What is the structure of DNA and a chromosome?
• What is the central dogma of molecular biology?
• What is a gene?
• How is gene expression regulated and why?
• What is transcription?
• What is translation?
• What is the genetic code?
• Ultimately, how are proteins produced?
Lecture 4 – Chapter 19
• How do cells grow and divide?
• What is ploidy?
• Be able to describe the order of the cell cycle and the function of each phase.
• What are chromosomes and the 3 essential parts of a