Things to know and study for ExamII
Lecture 7 - Blood
• What type of tissue is blood and what are its components?
• How does the structure of red blood cells relate to their function?
• How are red blood cells produced? What is hematopoiesis?
• How are blood clots generated?
• What are disorders of red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets?
• Describe the function of each white blood cell.
• What are antigens and antibodies?
• How do ABO blood types affect blood transfusions?
Lecture 8 – The Cardiovascular System
• What are the functions of the cardiovascular system?
• What is the anatomy of the heart and the blood vessels (veins and arteries)?
• What is the path of blood flow through the heart and the pulmonary and systemic
circuits in the body?
• How do capillaries function?
• What is a heart beat and how is it generated and regulated?
• What is blood pressure?
• What are common cardiovascular diseases and treatments?
Lecture 9 – The Respiratory System
• What are the parts and functions of the upper and lower respiratory system?
• What is the mechanism for expiration and inspiration?
• How is breathing controlled by the nervous system?
• How does pH regulate breathing or vice versa?
• Where is the exchange of gases (O an2 CO ) acc2mplished?
• How does diffusion drive the exchange of gases?
• What are some common respiratory infections and disorders?
Lecture 10 – The Digestive System and Nutrition
• What are the digestive system structures and their functions?
• What processes drive digestion?
• Where do carbohydrate, protein and fat digestion and absorption occur?
• What are the 3 accessory organs of digestion and how are they important for
• What is GERD? What is an ulcer?
• What are some common liver disorders and how do they arise?
• Likewise, what some common disorders of the colon?
1 HSCI100 – Spring2014
• What are proteins, lipids, carbohydrates, minerals and vitamins needed for?
• What is an essential vs. a nonessential nutrient? Difference between micro and
• What is obesity and why is it a health problem?
• What is BMI?
• What is a glycemic index?
• What are LDL and HDL?
• Which fats are considered healthier?
• What are the components of a healthy diet?