Section A: Please provide the best answer for each of the following ten multiple
1. Democratic governments rely primarily on this form of power to ensure compliance with their
d. none of the above
2. Since 1985, most Western governments have emphasized a conception of citizenship that
focuses on which of the following?
a. individual responsibility
b. global responsibility
c. collective responsibility
d. social responsibility
3. Which of the following elements is NOT a necessary defining feature of a state?
a. a defined established territory
b. a population
c. a people, all of whom belong to a single ethno-cultural group
d. political institutions of government
e. a monopoly on the legitimate use of force within its territory
4. The doctrine of state sovereignty was effectively established by this treaty which ended the Thirty
Years’ War in Europe:
a. Treaty of Versailles, 1919
b. Treaty of Brest-Litovsk, 1918
c. Treaty of Utrecht, 1713
d. Treaty of Westphalia, 164
5. What term denotes the idea that a people who define themselves as a nation have a right to
control the territory they inhabit, usually through statehood?