Biology Midterm I
1. List the functional groups of organic molecule that have acidic properties
a. Phosphate, Carboxyl
2. Which group of large biological molecules is not synthesized via dehydration
3. Collenchyma cells are alive at maturity, have thick walls, and lack secondary
4. Plasma membrane is:
a. Produced by the rough ER
5. Bacteria have proteins on the surface that recognize ad take in DNA from
closely related species. How do you call this process?
6. Depending on the location of the carbonyl group, sugars may be
a. Aldoses, ketoses
7. Microtubules consists of fibrous proteins supercoiled into thicker cables
8. Which cellular structure is common to all 3 domains of life?
a. Phospholipid bilayer cell membrane
9. What is the lowest level of biological organization that can perform all the
activities required for life?
a. Cell- for example, a skin cell
10. In humans, blood pH is around 7.4, and a decrease in blood pH to 6.4 would
be fatal. A drop by 1 pH level represents which of these?
a. Ten times as many H+ ions in the solution
11. List three fiber types of connective tissue.
a. Collagenous, elastic, reticular.
12.The type of muscle tissue that composes internal organs, except the heart, is
referred to as
13.The cells of the multicellular organism are microscopic because
a. The ratio of surface to volume is ideal for proper functioning
14.Gap junctions help cells to exchange nutrients are signaling molecules
15.Brefeldin A is a dug that disrupts transport from the ER to the Golgi
apparatus. With other organelles and membranes are affected?
a. Lysosomes, vacuoles, plasma membranes
16. Which of the following pairs is mismatched?
a. Lysosome; protein synthesis
17.Enzymes responsible for biosynthesis of membrane lipids would be located
in what part of the cell? a. Endoplasmic reticulum
18. According to the length of their carbon skeletons carbohydrates are
a. Triose, pentose, hexose
19.Which of the following statements is correct about gram-negative bacteria
a. They often possess an outer c