Feb.6 , 2014
Essay topics for first paper, you cannot write on the same text for your research paper. Similar
topics are all right but you must use different text.
**Read all of Virginia Woolf for Tuesday’s class**
- Citing in text you include IQC again
- __intro to quote___ “__quote__” (Doyle 14).
- Author _intro__ “__quote__” (14).
- Use the author’s full name when you first discuss them in your paper. After that use only
- Any edited changes to the quote use [ ]
o Ex: __intro__”___[the ring]___”
- See Moodle for link to MLA instructions
- Works Cited
o “works cited” is centered
o 12 point font (same font as paper)
o Put authors in alphabetical by surname
Ex: Burns, …..
Bultler, Judith. Bodies that Matter: On the Discursive Limits of “Sex”. New
York: Routledge, 1993.
- You can either underline or use italics
- C: P, Y. City: Publisher, Year.
- When submitting paper, make sure that you include works cited page
- Works cited page should appear as your last page
- Use a hanging indent for every line after the first (see above)
- You won’t lose marks for the first paper if you mess up your citations. It will be more
important for your research paper
- Things to be aware of when writing your essays:
- Make sure to use full name for the author when first introducing them
- Be aware of grammatical errors o Comma splices, sentence fragments, run on sentences etc.
- Do not repeat the same words
- Be specific
- What you name needs to be named more specifically.
o Ex: in the “F” paper introduction talks about the system. What exactly is the
- Do not make general claims (“In society…”, “Even today,…”, “people”)
- Never say “could of…” say “could have…”
- Make a claim; do not be wishy washy.
o One could say that…
o By saying “one could say that…” you aren’t exactly making a claim.