Lecture 18: Ecstasy:
1) Ecstasy: What is it classified as? But what is it actually? What is the structure
similar to? What is MDMA? Presence of aromatic rings tends to reduce what
effect and product more of what effect?
2) Administration: what is it always taken in as? What is stacking? What is the
range in mg what gets you high? What kind of dependence is it mostly? What are
some other common drugs people take with this?
3) Psychological effect: how long the high last? What are some of the effect? What
is an entactogen? Overall what kind of effect is it? T/F it is a stimulant like
cocaine and amphetamine
4) Physiological effect: since it is as stimulant, what kind of effects do you see? The
excess serotonin release causes what?
5) Mechanism: what is it similar to? What never terminal receptors do it
predominantly mediated through? Why is it different even though same as
6) Mechanism: what are the three transporters it affects and what one is the primary
one? List the order of potency of blockage and reversal of these transporters?
How does the affinity of MDMA to 5HT compare to NA (noradrenaline). When
you have high serotonin level after ecstasy what does this lead to?
7) Mechanism: when you have MDMA what happen to Monoamine oxidase level?
To serotonin in vesicles? Why is MDMA classified a hallucinogen?
8) MDMA effect on 5HT and dopamine: what happen to dopamine level in NA?
By how much does it increase or decrease? How does this compare to cocaine and
amphetamines? What happen to serotonin level in NA? By how much does it
increase or decrease? How reinforcing is this compare to cocaine (explain using
9) What are some other targets receptors of MDMA? Some of their effect?
10)Metabolism: what percent is in liver? What percent excreted unchanged? T/F
metabolites of this can actually cause neuron death?
11) Tolerance: what happen to receptors? What receptors are these?
12)Damage: what are some of the issues seen in people following a night of clubbing
or taking too much of this drug? Why is that?
13) Serotonin syndrome: when you take ecstasy which NT increases rapidly? What
does this lead to? T/F it does not lead to death? What kind of drug should you not
take ecstasy with (the name) and why?
14) Hypothermia: what does the body temperature go up to? Why do we see this
increase in temperature?
15)Hypnoatremia: what is it? What kind of behavior does this cause you to do?
What is waterintoxication