Lecture 19: Bath Salts
1) What determines the legality of a drug? What is a designer drug? What are the dangers of
using this drug? T/F a contaminant of opiod was actually associated with causing
2) The Internet and the drug sales: what is mephedrone? What year did it began to rise in
uses? What are some facts about this drug? T/F commonly used drug now.
3) Mephedrone ( 4methylmethcathionon): what plant is cathinone found in? When was it
banned? What is its relation to mephedrone? When did mephedrone became available online?
4) Where country does it come from? T/F you can make it yourself. T/F it is only 60% pure?
What are some of the adulterants that are found in it? T/F it is sold as ecstasy often.
5) Trends: what is its rise coupled to (hint: changes in purity of 2 drugs)? T/F its still legal over
internet in some places and is market as safe alternative ( by the media coverage). What is
secondgeneration “ legal highs”?
6) Role of media: T/F media ( 300 articles of drug and its dangers) have no role in the increase
of drug usage?
7) Seizures of illegal drugs: explain the trend of MDMA, piperazine (BZP/ legal ecstasy) and
cathinone derivatives (which is a mostly mephedrone)? Why this change in MDMA? What
happen to Piperazine in 2010? Which was the greatest in 2010? How great was it? did
cathinone seizure was present before 2010?
8) Structure: why is Mephedrone semisynthetic. What are betaketonated amphetamines? How
is Mephedrone different from cathinone? Which one of these changes gives it MDMA like
effect? What does have a ketone on this structure does to it?
9) Administration: what are the different ways used? Which one is the most popular? Which
one associated with most abuse and binge use? When taken orally, how long does the high
last? What do many people do to get high fast and keep it for longer?
10) Effects: what are some of the effect? What you get at high dose only? ( hint: the guy eats
11) side effects: what are some bad side effects of taking it?in CNS what are t