Lecture 16: Cocaine
1) Explain the historical use of cocaine. T/F: it is and has been used an anesthetic.
What did Freud recommend using this as? T/F it is now not part of the OTC
2) Source and smuggling: major source of cocaine is which country? What are
mules? What other form of smuggling is their?
3) Cocaine: what is it the natural product of? What environment does it grow in?
How do local their use cocaine? Why do they add basic stuff to it? why do they
claim to use? Are they addicted to it?
4) Cocaine production: explain the steps? How many Kg of leaves would you need
to make 1 Kg of paste? What kind of things is added as an extraction source from
leaves? When its done, how much of the paste it cocaine? Clean?
5) Cocaine hydrochloride: what is it? Why do people make this? Why can it be
dangerous if you don’t have reliable source? What are some of the additives thing
that are used in Cocaine salt that make it hard to notice them (i.e. they also your
lip freeze when you pour it over your lips but its not cocaine)
6) What is cutting in cocaine? How much cocaine in the market is contaminated?
What is levamisole? What happens if this is added in cocaine?
7) Administrations: insufflation: which form of cocaine can do this with? Onset of
high is? Effects last how long? T/F 90% of Canadian bills are contaminated with
it. what is one feature of a person that tells you he has been using this ( hint:
something about the nose)
8) Administrations: intravenous injection: Onset of high is in how long? Effects
last how long? What are the dangerous of using this method of injection? What
are the 2 reason of vasoconstriction? What effect does it get that are similar to
9) can you smoke HCL cocaine? Why or why not? What is the freebase cocaine
used for? Why that? At what temperature does cocaineHCL vaporize?
10) Freebase cocaine: at what temperature does it vaporizes? Why can it be smoked
but HCL cocaine can’t? Explain the process of how you would make freebase
cocaine from HCL cocaine?
11) Crack cocaine: why is it named this? Explain the process of formation of this?
What is the reactant (discuss purity of one of them)? And why they are used?
What is the product? T/F this form is more pure then a true freebase. Why do
many people buy this form?
12) Administration: Smoking: which two forms can you smoke? Onset of effect in
how long? Why do people need a repeated dose?
13)Metabolism: what enzyme does it in the liver? What is the metabolite that
appears within 4 hr.? How long will it take for this to completely vanish? Which
one enhances euphoria but it damaging to heart tissue when taken with OH?
Which one indicates