Lecture 20: Opioids
1) What is the term opioid used to describe? What does Opiate refer to (example is
morphine and codeine)? what are they used clinically and why? What does
narcotics mean? C
2) Legal use: morphine, codeine are legal get. Which one in OTC? Those that use
this drug for pain, do they become addicted? Explain? T/F heroine is legal for
experimental use. How many percent of longterm users ever become addicted to
3) Harvesting: plant name? Where does drug come from in a tree? When does plant
make this drug and for how long? Why is called labor intensive? What is the final
4) What is in opium? What are the two major components on opium (name and
percent)? How much more potent is morphine then opium? What happen to
codeine when it is metabolized in the lever? What if a percent can’t break this
codeine? What if over reactive to codeine?
5) Heroine: is a semisynthetic verision of morphine. Explain when was it created?
By which company? And what was added to it? What is its medical name?
6) Because of the die acetyl groups, what changes inters of potency and speed to
brain as compare to morphine? T/F diacetylmorphine directly binds to receptor in
the brain to produce the effect?
7) Deactelylation of heroin: when in the brain, it is deacytelated, what are the two
product? Which one binds the mureceptors and is psychoactive? T/F both
converted to morphine. Which one of these metabolites would you check to see if
cocaine use occurred?
8) Heroine purity: how pure is it now? What is the range of purity? What are
problem that can result from this purity level? Overall what is the trend of purity
from 70s to now?
9) Oxycodone another semisyn opiod: T/F is the most abused prescription
analgesic? If mixed with acetaminophen what is it called? ? If mixed with
aspirin what is it called? What is OxyContin? What is the route of
administration? Why do people want it as prescription rather then buying it on
streat? What is hydrocodone?
10)What is oxyNeo? What is different in this from oxyContin that make it safe? Even
though depend for this has gone down, what has gone up?
11) Opioid addiction: what is the reason for increase in opioid abuse? Is heroine one
of them? What is the ratio of prescription opioid: heroine use in Canada? From
19912007 what is the percent increase in oxycodone use? Prescription: Canada is
first and s