Sedatives: Lecture 11
1) What are sedative hypnotics? What are the three types of sedatives? All of them
affect what receptors? Can they be prescribed?
2) GABA Receptor: how many subunits? What subunit to benzodiazepines (BZD)
bind? Where does GABA bind? What are the effects of BZD on the receptor?
What type of effect is this? Where are the most BZD sensitive Gaba receptors
3) Can BZD work if we do not have any GABA binding?
4) Explain the GABA (A) receptor in the presence of no GABA, GABA,
GABA+BZD, and just BZD?
5) What is the difference btw + allosteric effect and ? Which one is BZD?
6) What is the benzodiazepine used for? (Hint: make sure to mention the dose size
and the type of effect you get i.e. effect in small/high/med dose)
7) Usually are given for what of problem (hint: prof example)? Do college student
prefer BZD to Placebo? If you have previously been exposed to opioids or other
sedatives do that effect the reaction you have to the drug?
8) Why is BZD linked to impaired driving? How much do abusers of this drug
9) BZD effect memory: Does memory come back quickly? what is the
pharmacological basis for this memory loss?( mention which receptors and which
part of the brain)?
10)What kind of drug can you take to improve memory?
11) What is rohypnol (class of BZD) used for? What is problem is it closely
associated with? What is its effect? Should you take it with alcohol? What is it is
halflife? Is diazepam more potent then this? What schedule drug is this?
12) How does BZD caused paradoxical effect sometime(explain the effect)? Mostly
in what types of sub population and users do we see this problem?
13)Health risk: in elderly what does it cause? If exposed to fetus what does what
types of effect do we see? Why do we see this effect (i.e. what happens to the
child in fetus if exposed to BZD)? How can it affect child after birth?
14)What is floppy infant syndrome? What is this behavior that they produce called?
How does this occur because of BZD? Is this effect permanent?
15) Abuse: if you check a person with methadone what will be be more likely
positive for? often used by what kind of drug addict and why? what acting ( short
or long term or half life) drug have the highest abuse potential?
16) How does BZD comepare to cocaine, alfentanal ( similar to morphine) interims
of its reinforcement effect? What test was used to find this data? Is the drug the