POLI 201 REVIEW.docx

5 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Calgary
Political Science
POLI 201
Jay Makarenko

Key Terms and Concepts POWER, AUTHORITY, & THE STATE 1. Political Power: Ability to make other human beings what you want them to do 2. Political Power Typologies: a. Influence: Voluntary obedience. People are not forced to do anything. People agree to obey. Obey through choice. i. Appeals to Intellect: Use of reason to convince someone to do something. ii.Appeals to passions: Use of emotion to persuade someone to do something. b. Coercion: Involuntary Action. Making people do what I want them to do but they don’t want to do it. Obey by force. i. Physical/Violent Coercion: Use threat of physical violence to make them do what I want them to do. Always present in societies to set disputes. ii.Economic Coercion: Use threat of financial/material harm; i.e.: government fines, lockouts/strikes, threat to fire you from your job. iii.Social Coercion: Use threat of public humiliation or being excluded from a group. Person is forced to involuntarily obey due to their fear of being a social outcast. c. Authority: Voluntary obedience. People are not forced to do anything. People agree to obey. Obey through obligation. 3. Efficient and Legitimate Exercise of Power: a. Efficient: Ability to be the one in command because you have been given a position of power. b. Legitimate: People follow you command because they respect you and recognize you have authority. Citizens voluntarily obey their government because they respect the rule of the government. 4. Examples of Authority a. Traditional: Respect for an inherit position (e.g. Queen or King) b. Charismatic: Respect for the extraordinary personal characteristics (e.g. Gandhi) c. Legal Authority: Respect for the rules that govern the exercise of power (e.g. Constitution) 5. Liberal Democracy and Legal Authority: Most liberal democracies (e.g. Canada) believe in legal authority. People might reject the Prime Minister but they still feel the obligation to obey because they respect the rules that govern the exercise of power. 6. Threats to Legitimacy in Liberal Democracy: 7. Sovereign and Sovereignty: 8. Sovereign and Well-Ordered Society 9. Personal, Parliamentary, Popular sovereignty: a. Personal sovereignty: An individual (King, Queen, Spiritual Leader) b. Parliamentary sovereignty: Set of institutes (House of Commons, House of Lords) c. Popular sovereignty: “The People” or “The Citizen Body) 10.Institutions of federal Parliament in Canada 11.The State 12.Citizenship 13.Nation-state 14.Ethnic and civic nations 15.Key Types of Ethnic Groups in Canada 16.Unitary and Federal Systems 17.Structural Features of Federalism 18.Tension between Federalism and Sovereignty 19.Arguments in supporter of Federalism LAW, CONSTITUTIONALISM, & POLITICS 20. Definition of law: 21. Natural law v. positive law 22. Function of law (the four “R”s) 23. Parliamentary legal tradition 24. Common law v. civil law a. Common law: b. Civil law: 25. New infl
More Less

Related notes for POLI 201

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.