Oct. 20. 2011
1. If you had to explain to a first year student what was structural about the theory of Levi-
Strauss, Radcliffe-Brown, and Appadurai, what would you say? Remember the minimal
definition of structure: relations between elements forming a unity.
- They all have the notion that structure is not just the sum of its parts, there is more to it. It is
based on linkages.
- people are not consciously thinking about mind and body. Society can change structure,
groups of people not, but not the individual.
- empirical discipline.
- the science of the structure
- looks toward simple cultures to find the basics of structure, and believes as society progresses
the structure becomes more complex
- culture is structure but different cultures are organized and assembled in a different way but
are still considered structures. each culture has its own linkages that means something to its
- interested in how people form int