BIOC 3560 Study Guide - Comprehensive Midterm Guide: Conjugated System, Globin, Dissociation Constant

131 views27 pages

Document Summary

Bioc*3560 part a: structure and function in biochemistry. Properties: size (molecular weight): 5000 - 500 000 daltons, h+=1, c=12 daltons, shape (secondary structure; fold, charge (positive and negative patches) - facilitates binding, hydrophobic/hydrophilic properties. Beta-sheet = usually indicated with an arrow. Why structure matters: looking at the atomic level to understand how a protein works, structure/function relationship (i. e structure must be exactly right for biological function) Changing structure by even by 0. 5a can cause complete loss of enzyme activity: explains a lot of biochemical effects (how life processes work (i. e health) and why their structures don"t (i. e disease)) Reversible modulation of protein function: proteins are dynamic, influenced by interaction with other molecules, interactions can be very stable . Prosthetic group: compound/cofactor that is permanently associated with a protein and required for its function: interaction can also be transient and short-lived (depending on molecule - a can bind to b for ms or hour)