BIOC 4580 Study Guide - Final Guide: Nuclear Membrane, Cimp, Man Man

71 views10 pages

Document Summary

Protein glycosylation occurs step-wise in the lumen of the rer & golgi apparatus, with intervening vesicular traffic. Carbohydrate chains can be n-linked to asn or o-linked to ser/thr, and are derived from a common precursor that is preformed on a dolichol-phosphate carrier. Protein folding quality control takes places in the rer lumen; further oligosaccharide processing occurs subsequently in the rer, and in the terminal golgi stacks. Mannose-6-phosphate is used to target enzymes to lysosomes, & the receptor is recycled via the endocytic pathway. Nare protei(cid:374)s are used to effe(cid:272)t vesi(cid:272)le fusio(cid:374) (cid:271)(cid:455) (cid:272)ausi(cid:374)g (cid:373)e(cid:373)(cid:271)ra(cid:374)e (cid:862)(cid:271)u(cid:272)kli(cid:374)g(cid:863), i. e. , i(cid:374)du(cid:272)i(cid:374)g curvature. Stages of protein processing in rer & golgi. Signal peptide, leader peptide, signal-anchor, start-transfer, membrane-anchor, reverse signal- anchor, stop-anchor, etc. , sequences determine destination & topology. Variations of protease sensitivity assays are used to study signalling. Pulse chase & protease digestion & detergent permeabilization experiments. Proteomics and/or western blotting can be used to identify proteins. Temperature-sensitive mutants in yeast to block specific stages.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers