BIOM 4070 Quiz: Quiz 1 notes

3 Pages

Department
Biomedical Sciences
Course Code
BIOM 4070
Professor
Brenda L Coomber

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Quiz 1 summary notes
First class and lab 1
Stains
H&E (hematoxylin and eosin)
Most common for paraffin
Most common for LM
Doesn’t differentiate carbohydrates, it will blend with cytoplasm
Turns lipid white
Pink: basic things (+ive), acidophilic/eosinophillic, mitochondria (lots of
transmembrane proteins), collagen, cytoskeleton
Purple: acidic things (-ive), basophilic, nucleic acid (DNA & RNA), RER (lots of
ribosomes, outweighs the protein)
Toluidine blue
Indicates relative protein levels (darker blue = more protein)
Most common for plastic
Transmission electron microscopy
Based on density (dense areas appear dark because more electrons reflect back)
Uses heavy metals
Higher resolution than LM because it has a shorter wavelength than light and
therefore higher energy/frequency, and can cut thinner slices
Scanning electron microscopy
Uses lighter metals (like gold), scatters reflected electrons
PAS (periodic acid-Schiff reagent)
Stains carbohydrates magenta (like glycogen, mucous…)
Alcian blue
Stains carbohydrates well
Tissue specific details
Pancreas: stain purple and pink with H&E (lots of RER to synthesize enzymes and lots of
stored dietary enzymes until needed), cells form acini (circular clusters) with a small
hole in the center (lumen  this is the apical end of the cell). These cells are polarized!
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Quiz 1 summary notes First class and lab 1 Stains H&E (hematoxylin and eosin)  Most common for paraffin  Most common for LM  Doesn’t differentiate carbohydrates, it will blend with cytoplasm  Turns lipid white Pink: basic things (+ive), acidophilic/eosinophillic, mitochondria (lots of transmembrane proteins), collagen, cytoskeleton Purple: acidic things (-ive), basophilic, nucleic acid (DNA & RNA), RER (lots of ribosomes, outweighs the protein) Toluidine blue  Indicates relative protein levels (darker blue = more protein)  Most common for plastic Transmission electron microscopy  Based on density (dense areas appear dark because more electrons reflect back)  Uses heavy metals  Higher resolution than LM because it has a shorter wavelength than light and therefore higher energy/frequency, and can cut thinner slices Scanning electron microscopy  Uses lighter metals (like gold), scatters reflected electrons PAS (periodic acid-Schiff reagent)  Stains carbohydrates magenta (like glycogen, mucous…) Alcian blue  Stains carbohydrates well Tissue specific details Pancreas: stain purple and pink with H&E (lots of RER to synthesize enzymes and lots of stored dietary enzymes until needed), cells form acini (circular clusters) with a small hole in the center (lumen  this is the apical end of the cell). These cells are polarized! Nuclei are at basal end and proteins (digestive enzymes are stored in zymogen vesicles, stain purple in H&E or dark in EM) are at apical end (about to be secreted). Nuclei: may appear heterogenic (purple because of nucleic acid but pink because of proteins like histones) but overall tend to be mostly purple in H&E, dark in EM, light blue in toluene blue (less relative protein). Heterochromatin is dense and darker in EM, euchromatin is less dense and light in EM. Neurons: large neurons have prominent nuclei,
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit