ENVS 3040- Final Exam Guide - Comprehensive Notes for the exam ( 41 pages long!)

152 views41 pages

Document Summary

Use the correct terminology to describe these interactions. Discuss the evolutionary and ecological advantages of chemical communication between organisms in their natural environments. Describe or define the field of chemical ecology. Understand, differentiate and correctly use major terms associated with the field of chemical ecology. Understand and contrast the roles of chemicals in mediating intra- and interspecific interactions between organisms. Differentiate between olfaction and gustation (grasswitz and jones, 2002) chemical ecology. Glossary terms: semiochemicals, allelochemical, pheromone, allomone, kairomone, synomone. Chemical ecology is the study of the structure, origin, and function of naturally occurring chemicals that mediate interactions between individuals of the same species or differing species. These chemicals (semiochemicals) are different from hormones as the(cid:455)"(cid:396)e (cid:396)eleased i(cid:374)to the e(cid:454)te(cid:396)(cid:374)al e(cid:374)(cid:448)i(cid:396)o(cid:374)(cid:373)e(cid:374)t. the(cid:455)"(cid:396)e di(cid:448)ided i(cid:374)to pheromones (intraspecific) and allelochemicals (interspecific). Pheromones are classified according to their function: sex, aggregation, and alarm. Releaser pheromones illicit an immediate response, while primer pheromones are slower acting and affect the a(cid:374)i(cid:373)al"s ph(cid:455)siologi(cid:272)al state.