Family Relations and Human Development
Course
FRHD 1020
Professor
Robyn Pitman
Semester
Fall

Description
Family Studies  Exam Review  Week Five and Six: Cognitive Processes and Academic Skills Memory 1) What 2 components are used to operate memory? Brain Structures • Storage of memories (6 months) – Hippocampus and Amygdale • Retrieval of memories (2 years) – frontal cortex  Strategies for remembering  • Growing knowledge of information  • Develop better strategies over time  2) What is a memory strategy and when do children start using them? Memory Strategy is a technique or activity that improves remembering  Begins in pre­school –look and touch objects been told to remember  ­ Elementary school use more powerful strategies       3) Explain each memory storage strategy and provide an example Rehearsal: repeating information that must be remembered (powerful but basic) and an  example is phone numbers   Organization: Structure material to be remembered so related information is placed  together and example is listing like words together into categories to better remember  them (i.e. pig, cow, goat, knife, fork, spoon) Elaboration: create a relationship between items to help remember, make it more  memorable by embellishing information (I got cheese in new york then went on a bus  and saw a lifeguard), verbal or visual (notes and information on calendars)   Chunking: Organize related items into one meaningful group, improves memory (more  information held) and overtime create domain or content knowledge (history) • 4) What is meta­memory? What are the 2 elements? How do we evaluate  memory? • Meta­memory is the informal understanding of memory • 2 elements (1) Diagnosis memory problem: i.e. studying for tests  1                       (2) Monitor effectiveness of memory strategy  (i.e. writing summaries) if its not working then analyze  memory task and try new strategy and if it is working then  focus on the un­master material  2 Evaluate memory by meta­cognitive knowledge  •   1 5) What is meta­cognitive knowledge and what is cognitive self­regulation? Meta­cognitive knowledge is knowledge and awareness of cognitive processes (develops  during school years  Cognitive self­regulation: identify goals selective effective strategies and monitoring  (characteristics of a successful student)   6) Explain each memory retrieval strategy and provide an example: Recognition: something that is similar/ familiar (already experienced) a stimulus has to  be presented, (i.e. remember the face and not the name), easy and can achieve adult levels  in preschool   Recall: remember something that is no longer there (more difficult), 2­4 years old only  recall parts, 8­10 recall more, language improves recall   Reconstruction; re­create by selecting and reinterpreting information, condense, integrate  and add information (i.e. relaying a story), complex and meaningful material  Fuzzy trace theory: experience can be stored exactly (verbatim) or their basic meaning  (gist) (i.e. the party starts at 7:30 or the party starts after dinner), 11 year olds and adults  use gist more (remember critical words that were not present)  7) What is autobiographical memory? How to parents encourage the development of  this type of memory? Autobiographical memory: memories of significant events and experiences – allows us to  relate to others  Parents facilitate by encouraging children to converse, use specific details (teach  important features and organization of events, yes or no question create less extensive  memories)  8) Explain the challenges that children encounter when they are used for eyewitness  testimony: Repeated questioning: 10­15 times, create confusion about what happened with  suggestions made by others, especially if an adult is in authority position  Leading questions: imply something happened when it didn’t (i.e. when did Johnny break  the window with the brick?) Peers influence memories: talk about events with absent peers (absent peers can describe  what happened and insist they were there)  2 Source monitoring: preschool children are suggestible, do not know the source of  information they are remembering (confused about who said or did what), this is a  problem when asked leading questions  9) Identify and explain the guidelines for a reliable child witness? Warn them that interviewers might try and trick them or suggest things  Interviewers questions look at alternative explanations  No repeated questions on single issue  10) Identify and explain each of the features of problem solving and why children  struggle with each one. Encoding: transform information in a problem into a mental representation, younger  children struggle with encoding, miss features of the problem or encode incorrectly and  this improves with age  (i.e. Liquid conservation task, if Jon=old Dave=not old and  Dave=old and rob=not old Dave cannot be old and not old at the same time)  Fail to plan ahead: problems require planning (getting ready for school requires getting  dressed eating etc.), trouble developing 3 effective plans   (1) Planning is hard work, believe can do it without a plan and they fail or do not invest  effort  (2) Expect adults to solve complex problems for them  (3) Children will plan if asked too and if a problem is not complex  Problem solving requires critical facts and general processes: dependent on their  knowledge level (older children more successful)  11) What are heuristics? What is a means­end analysis? Heuristics: rules of thumb, do not guarantee a solution and useful in solving problems  Means­ends analysis: determine difference between current and desired situation (so  something to reduce difference like hunger)  12) Why are strategies and collaboration important when solving problems? Used variety of strategies: learn new game, skill, used different strategies to solve  problems (from experience use the easiest and most effective strategy which will develop  with age) Collaboration enhances problem solving, beneficial when partner is a parent; sibling or  knowledgeable peer (for peers successful only if both are invested and responsible) Peer  collaboration does not work when problem is too difficult and lack social and cognitive  skills needed to work as a team   Week Seven Intelligence  1) What is Charles Spearman’s theory of Intelligence? What does G mean? Took items on standardized intelligence tests and looked at relationships  Tests items measuring different abilities are all related: General or G intelligence  underlies them all  3 • 2) What is Raymond Cattell’s theory of intelligence? What does fluid and  crystallized intelligence mean? How are they related to G? • Fluid intelligence: basic information processing skills: processing speed, working  memory capacity, and ability to detect relationships  • More influenced from the brain than environmental influences  • Biological experience (more nature component)   • Crystallized Intelligence: skills that depend on knowledge we have accumulated or  experiences, shaped primarily by our environment (i.e. vocabulary, general information  and math problems), math and language dependent on culture and environmentally  shaped  • Subsets of G 3) What is John Carroll theory of intelligence? How is this theory similar or  different from the other two? A more recent and comprehensive account of intelligence  At the top is general intelligence: broad factors are made up of more specific factors or  narrow abilities and skills  Hierarchy of different skills and each group comes from a higher one, the top one being  G  • 4) What is Gardner’s theory of intelligence? How many areas of intelligence are  there? Label each area, describe, and provide an example for each area. • Gardner: multiple intelligences, from child development, studies of brain damaged and  exceptional individuals • Proposed that we have intelligence in 9 different areas; out abilities in these different  areas are distinct  • Linguistic: knowing the meaning of words, ability to use words to understand new  ideas, use language to convey ideas to others (poet, author)  • Spatial: Perceive objects accurately, imagine the appearance of an object because and  after its made  (i.e. engineer and sculptor)  • Logical and mathematical: understand relations among objects, actions, ideas and  4 mathematical operations (i.e. mathematicians and scientists)  • Musical: understanding and producing sounds varying in pitch, rhythm and emotional  tone (i.e. musician and composer)  • Body­kinesthetic: use one’s body in differentiated ways (i.e. dance and athletes)  • Naturalistic: Recognize and distinguish member of a group or species and describe  their relationships (biologists and naturalist)  • Interpersonal: identifying different feelings, moods, motivations and intentions in  others, work effectively with others (i.e. educators, sales people, religious political  leaders and therapists)  • Intrapersonal: understand ones self, emotions, fears, motivations, strengths and  weaknesses (i.e. entrepreneurs and writers) • Existential: considers ultimate issues such as the purpose of life and the nature of death  (i.e. philosopher and humanitarian)  5)What is emotional intelligence?  • Ability to use one’s own and others emotions effectively for solving problems and  living happily  • Several different components: perceive emotions accurately both in others and oneself,  regulate our emotions  • People who have high EI tent to have: high scores on traditional IQ tests and high self  esteem and are more sociable  • • 6) Describe Sternberg’s theory of successful intelligence and the 3 abilities. Do the  abilities work together or independently?  • Using ones abilities skillfully to achieve one’s personal goals, can be short or long term  goals and using one skill defines successful intelligence  3 abilities:  (1) Analytical ability: analyzing problems and generating different solutions (i.e. you  want to put new songs on your iPod but it isn’t working what do you do? 5 Thinking about different solutions  (2) Creative ability: dealing adaptively with new situations and problems (i.e. your iPod  is broken and you have nothing to listen to on you commute to work what do you do?)  (3) Practical ability: knowing what solution or plan will actually work (i.e. you decide  that the best choice is to search the Internet for a way to fix the iPod), problems can be  solved in different ways but in reality only one solution may be practical  • 7) What are the 2 intelligence tests we discussed in class? What are the  components of these tests and how are they administered?  • (1) Stanford Binet Intelligence tests: 2 to adulthood, various cognitive and motor tasks  (range from extremely easy to extremely difficult; items that are dependent on the child’s  age) (i.e. preschool child may be asked to name pictures of familiar objects or fold paper  into shapes, older children may be asked to define works ad solve abstract problem)  • (2) Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children (WISC­III): 6­16 years, includes other  aspects of IQ beside verbal; practical performance section (i.e. ask children to arrange  pictures in order to tell a story or asked to identify what part of a picture is missing),  produces 3 scores a) verbal b) performance c) combined score  • Both tests are administered individually (examiners can ensure that each child is  attentive and not anxious during the testing  • IQ scores: assigned based on the number of questions passed compared to the average  number passed by children of the same age  • Might use a normal distribution to compare performance  • 8) What is the normal distribution and how do we use it to measure intelligence?  Do IQ tests work?  Center value is 100 where most people fall within 1 standard deviation from the mean or  center (68%) and the further away from the mean or center the smarter or dumber the  person is from the average person of that age IQ scores obtained in childhood predict IQ later in life; strong relationship between IQ  tests from two different age points (IQ increases with age) IQ will increase more when  parents deliberately train their child’s intellectual and motor skills • 9) What does IQ predict about academic achievement? • Academic achievement: test scores, grades, staying in school  6 • • 10) What does IQ predict about future employment?  • Kids with high IQ scores are more likely to be successful but other factors play a • Role: family characteristics, personality and practical intelligence  • • 11) What does IQ predict about psychological adjustment?  • High IQ score related to being liked  • Low IQ related to aggression and delinquency  • 12) What does the biological / nature argument say? What does the research on  twins tell us?  • Research focuses on siblings in particular identical and fraternal twins  Fraternal twins share 50% of genetic makeup and identical twins share 100% Identical twin studies: the closer the people are related (share more genes) more highly  correlated there IQs are (their scores also increase with age) Identical twins have the  highest correlation even when reared apart  • Adoption Studies: adopted children’s IQs are associated with their biological parents  and not their adopted parents, their scores with their biological parents get stronger as  they get older, correlation is stronger with biological parents suggests that biology is  important  • 13) What does the environment / nurture argument say what does the research tell  us? What is the Flynn effect? H ow does SES and culture influence differences in IQ  scores? • Flynn effect: IQs have increased steadily form one generation to the next (improved  education, nutrition and technology)  • More stimulation contributes to increased IQ (children from well organized homes with  pay materials have high tests scores, Low income children who did not attend preschool  lack readiness skills for success in kindergarten  • Adoption Studies (Nature) children from disadvantaged backgrounds adopted into  highly educated families score higher than their biological mother on IQ tests (change  could be due to enriched and stimulating learning environment)  7 14) Do individuals from different cultural backgrounds do better or worse on IQ  tests? What is a stereotype threat? How does it affect IQ scores? Children from economically disadvantaged homes score lower than children from  economically advantaged homes: European and Asian Canadian Families tend to be  economically advantaged and Hispanic and African Canadian families tend to be  disadvantaged  Stereotype Threat: knowledge of stereotypes leads to anxiety and reduced performance  consistent with the stereotype  Self­fulfilling prophecy: stereotypes about gender and ethnicity, less likely to do well  even if they know they can do well on the test  Questions are culturally specific: items reflect culture heritage and environment and not  everyone has the same experiences (i.e. conductor is to orchestra as teacher is to what)  • • 15) What does the Education Quality and Accountability  • Office does? What grades are administered the EQAO? What  • Does the EQAO tell us? Created in 1996  Collect data to help determine the effectiveness of Ontario’s education system: they  administer and publish the results of the standardized tests, administered to grades 3,6,9,  and 10 in reading writing and math  Tells us: student achievement is assessed in relation to the provincial standards, snapshot  of child’s development, cross sectional, informs teachers, principals and school boards  about how well students have learned the Ontario curriculum in reading, writing and  math    • • 16) What are Volante’s criticisms of the EQAO? What are Volante’s solutions for  educators?  • Volante(2004): takes away from applied learning and thinking skills when you focus on  basic skills and declarative knowledge, teachers spend too much time “teaching to the  test” or how to take the test, focus excessive classroom time on the teaching practice  items of the test  Students may experience stress due to the rigorous schedule and abnormal classroom  8 environment, tests are not realistic measure of a child’s overall achievement (do not  assess whole child or curriculum and may not provide real help to student, parents or  schools)  • Solutions: avoid teaching to the test, train students in appropriate test preparation  activities (provides educators with the important skills they requires to be effective  teachers) Curriculum teaching provides student, educators and policy makers and the  public with a sound basis for making future decisions  17) What is the traditional and modern definition of giftedness? What are the  prerequisites? What are the concerns for gifted children? Traditional: individuals with scores of 130 or greater on IQ test  Modern: now includes: exceptional talent in an assortment of areas including art music,  creative writing and dance  Prerequisites: child loves the subject and expresses overwhelming desire to master it,  Instruction to develop talent begins at an early age with inspiring and talented teachers,  parents are committed to promotion of their child’s talents  Concerns: some research suggests gifted children are more mature than their peers and  have fewer emotional problems: may be biased because of different educational and  economic factors, Versteynen: social and emotional adjustment is related to (1) type of  giftedness (2) educational fit (3) personal characteristics  • 18) What is the definition of intellectual disability?  • A disability that significantly affects ones ability to learn and use information: present  during childhood and continues into adulthood  • Individuals are capable of: participating effectively in daily life (sometimes require more  assistance than others in learning task), adapt to changed in tasks and routines and  communicated and engage in social activities  • 19) Describe the criteria for learning disabilities • have difficulty mastering an academic subject, normal intelligence, not suffering from  other conditions that could explain poor performance (i.e. inadequate instruction and  sensory impairment)    • 3.2% of Canadian children have a learning disability  20) What are the 3 most common types of learning disabilities?what are the causes  and supports for children with learning disabilities? 9 Reading than language and math  Complicated to support: each LD may have its own cause and specific treatment  Cause: heredity: genetic and or neurobiological factors that alters brain functioning and  affects one or more processes related to learning (have parent’s relatives with similar  difficulties  Accidents: head injuries, nutritional deprivation and exposure to toxic substances (i.e.  lead)­ head injuries are connected to white mater – controls how the brain learns, co­ ordinates how brain regions work and signaling neurons  Trauma during pregnancy and birth: illness or injury during or before birth (low weight,  lack of oxygen or blood and premature or prolonged labor)  Drug and alcohol use? Not conclusive  Support: treatment and support caries by child and LD: children with reading LD benefit  from explicit and extensive instruction on connection between letters and their sounds  (different ways to teach this and various method work but tailor to the child’s background  and strengths)  Need to pinpoint specific cognitive and academic deficits and tailor to improve child’s  skills  • • Week Eight  •  Language and Development   Phonology: speech sounds. Semantics: words and their meanings, Grammar: Structure of  language and Pragmatics: language is used for effective communication  1) What does phonological development mean? When is it completed?  Ability to attend and sound sequences (produce sounds and combine them to understand  words and phrases. Development completed by age 5 (some not acquired until middle childhood (i.e. green  house vs. greenhouse)  • 2) What are phonological strategies? Identify and provide examples.  • Simplify the pronunciation of adult words (i.e. delete the unstressed syllable banana  and it becomes nana  10 • Replace hissing sounds with stop consonant sounds (i.e. sea becomes tea and say tay)  • • 3) What does semantic development mean?  Study of words and their meanings (children understand more words than they use)  • • 4) At what age do we say our first word? How many words do we know by age 6?  • Children say their first word at 12 months  • At age 6 their vocabulary is 10,000 words and they learn 5 new words a day  • • 5) What is fast mapping? How does it work?  • Rapid connection of new words to meanings; cannot consider all meanings for new  words (improves with age)  • 5 month difference; between comprehension of 50 words (language understood) and  production of 50 words (language they use)  • • 6) What are the types of words in the 50­word vocabulary? What is the  percentage for each one? Provide an example for each. (Hint, there are 5 of them) • (1) Object words (66%) words children can move (from the thing world i.e. ball and  shoe and includes familiar people like mom and dad)  • (2) Action words (13%) words that describe, demand or come with an action or that  express or demand attention (i.e. bye bye, go )  • (3) State words (9%) words that refer to properties, qualities or events (i.e. all gone,  big, dirty, hot, mine)  • (4) personal social words (8%): words that express emotional states and social  relationships (i.e. no please ouch thank you)  • (5)  Function words (4%): words that fill grammatical function (i.e. for is what ) • • 7) What is the difference between under­extension and over­extension?  11 • Under­extension means defining words too narrowly (tunnel vision) (i.e. bear for a  special toy for one child)  • Over extension: (1­3 years) define words to broadly (i.e. car for all vehicles) more  common when producing words  • Overcome as children refine meanings and more exposure to language  • • 8) What is word coinage? What is a metaphor?  • Coinage: create new words for unknown words (i.e. plant man for Gardener)  • Metaphor: allow communication in vivid and memorable ways (use concrete sensory  comparisons i.e. stomach ache = fire engine in my tummy)  • • 9) What are the 2 word learning styles? Identify and explain.  • Referential style: vocabularies mostly consist of words that name objects, people or  actions (i.e. milk, Jo, and up)  • Expressive style: vocabularies include some names but also many social phrases used like  a single word (i.e. go away and I want it)  • • 10) How does reading support word learning? Explain. • Reading is more effective when parents: carefully describe pictures (vocabs will  increase), ask questions so the child can answer using the targeted word (i.e. what where)  • Effective because it forces children to identify meanings of new words and practice  saying them    11) When is reading most effective?• In the video example from class, how does the  mother support Sophie and Elena’s development? Parents important for school age children: expose children to advanced vocabulary,  instructive and helpful interactions  Children more likely to learn new words when: participate in activities that force them to  understand meanings of new words and use those words  Reading: written material contains more unfamiliar words than conversational language:  12 great opportunity to expand vocabulary (i.e. books, newspaper and magazines)  Children who read frequently tend to have larger vocabularies than children who read less  often  • 12) What is telegraphic speech? What age does it appear? Provide an example?  2 word utterances: consists of only words directly relevant to meaning  Focus on high content words and omit smaller less important ones (i.e. omit can, the, to;  get ball or mommy shoe.) Age 1.5 • • 13)What are simple 3 word sentences? What age does it appear? How is it  different from telegraphic speech? Provide an example.  • Grammatical morphemes (2­3 years): create sentences with adjectives, nouns, verbs,  and prepositional phrases, use adult structure, master grammar categories of their  language (i.e. it is broken)  • • 14) Explain over­regularization, linguistic perspective, and semantic bootstrapping  theory.  • Over­regularization: Apply rules to words that are exceptions to the rules; children might  use a s instead od using a plural (i.e. mans instead of men ) • Linguistic perspective: born with mechanisms to simplify learning grammar • Semantic bootstrapping theory: children are born knowing that nouns usually refer to  people or objects, verbs are actions and they use this knowledge to infer grammatical  rules   • • 15) What are the 5 lines of evidence / arguments that support that grammar is an  inborn mechanism? • how do parents provide support for grammar development? • (1) brain regions are known to be involved in language processing: left hemisphere is  critical in understanding language  Brocas area: left frontal lobe necessary for combing  words into meaning full sentences, suggests that we have specialized neutral circuits for  learning grammar  13 • (2) Only humans learn grammar readily; neural mechanisms unique to humans, studies  with chimpanzees (tried to teach sign language, chimps can only master a handful of  grammatical rules for 2 word speech, not comparable to preschool level and trouble  expressing complicated ideas that humans learn)  • (3) Children develop linguistic communication with little or no language input; deaf  children (no input from parents who do not know how to sign, spontaneously produce  gestural or sign communication, studies have found that deaf children have developed  basic communication into a signed language with its own grammar) • (4) critical period for learning language: birth to 12 years for acquiring language and  mastering grammar (spoken or signed, if not acquired will never truly master language) –  studies of feral or isolated children: may be able to learn few words but do not understand  the use of language, missing early language experiences   • (5) Grammar is tied to development of vocabulary: both are part of emerging language  system, learn new words, learn about meanings as well as the kinds of sentences the word  appears in and its position in the sentence and support from research on bilingual children  (related within but not across languages)  • Support: adults correct mistakes for word meaning: use one label consistently for objects,  do not provide direct feedback on grammar, correct indirectly through continuing the  conversation with the child (2 ways to do this)  • • 16) How does recast and expansion work? Provide an example. Other guidelines for  parents? • Recast: restructure inaccurate speech into correct forms  • Expansion: elaborate on child’s speech and increate its complexity (i.e. child: I got new  red shoes parent: yes you got a pair of new red shoes) • Other guidelines: a) talk with children frequently (treat as partners in conversations and  be interactive b) listen (respond appropriately to what children say and avoid their  sentences c) make language fun (use books, songs, jokes and foreign words)  • • 17) What is pragmatic development? What is turnabout? What age does it occur  and how does it work? Provide an example.  Pragmatic Development: Rules for appropriate and effective communication (turn taking  by age 2)  Turnabout (3­4 years): speaker comments on what was just said and makes a request to  get the partner to respond (i.e. yeah I like soccer too what’s your favourite position) 14 • • 18) What is illocutionary intent? What age does it appear and how does it work?  Provide an example.  • Illocutionary intent: (3 years) what the speaker means to say, wording is not perfectly  consistent and understand meaning not directly expressed (i.e. I need a pencil, (get me a  pencil)  • • 19) What are speech registers and shading? What age do they occur and provide an  example of each. • Speech registers (3­4 years): language adapts to social expectations (i.e. difference in  talk/body language when you are speaking to your parents vs. friends)  • Shading (5­9 years): change topic of conversation by gradually modifying focus of the  conversation  • • 20) What does the research by Shatz and Gelamn (1973) and Nadig and Sedivy  (2002) tell us about pragmatic development?  • Shatz and Gelamn: asked 4 year olds to explain how a toy worked one to a 2 year old and  once to an adult: used longer sentences for the adult and simpler shorter sentences for the  2 year old  • Nadig and Sedivy: child describing where to find a toy and give more detailed  instructions for listeners whose eyes were covered when the toy was hidden  Hint: remember the paper plane exercise in class, this is related to Nadig and Sedivy's  research. 21) Explain the study by Plester, Wood, and Joshi (2009) on the influence of texting  on language development. Youth would rather text then talk, potentially labeled the generation txt and journalists  take a negative tone toward texting and impacts on language( this is exaggerated, no  regard for actual text message usage and evidence is contrary)  Textisms are a form of phonetic abbreviations and required phonological awareness  (2nite for tonight)  May help individuals who are poor readers (freedom from spelling and specific writing  systems and improve motivation without constraints)  15 Little research on preteens (8­11)  Previous studies have found no damage to Standard English ability (positive relationship  between textisms and English ability)  Purpose: understand positive relationships between knowledge of textisms and literacy,  relationships between phonological awareness, child’s age and length of texting exposure,  look at relationship between different textisms and literacy outcomes  Method: 10­12 year olds (55f  and 53m) 78% had their own phone and 15% borrowed,  whom they send messages to? 69% friends, 16% parents and 16% other family, more  texting (39%) than talking (31%) Took measures of: vocabulary, knowledge of textisms, verbal working memory,  conventional reading and spelling and phonological awareness  Results: vocabulary levels typical for age group, girls use more textisms than boys, most  popular textisms (letters/numbers (l8r), contractions (txt, plz) and non conventional  spelling (rite, skool) no detriment to conventional spelling  Selective results: positive relationship between: shortenings and spelling (bro sis), non  conventional spellings and word readings, accent stylization(wiv, elp) and word reading  and spelling, contractions and word reading, symbols and word reading and spelling  Negative relationships: for misspelling and word reading and spilling  Conclusion: textisms were positively related to word reading ability and may also  contribute to reading development in ways that are beyond simple explanations (texting  experience and skill need longitudinal work, study looked at relationships not causations  and unique and creative forms of learning and language) no detrimental effects for this  age group  • Week Nine  •  Emotional Development   1) What are basic emotions? What is their purpose? Examples? Identify the 3  elements to basic emotions. Basic Emotions: universal in all humans (i.e. happiness, fear, sadness, and surprise) 3  elements (1) subjective feelings (2) physiological change and (3) overt behavior Promote survival: (i.e. sadness in response to pain with attracts parent’s attention   2)What are self­conscious / complex emotions? What are some examples?  16 Self­conscious emotions/complex: feelings of success and failure to meet expectations or  standards (appear at the end of age 2 (18­14 months) (i.e. shame, embarrassment, guilt,  envy and pride)  Related to feelings about ourselves: need to have an understanding of the self  • • 3) How does culture contributes to the expression of emotions and events that  trigger emotions?  • Express many of the same emotions: differ in which emotional expression is encouraged  (i.e. us preschoolers are more likely to express anger during interpersonal conflict than  Japanese preschoolers) (Asian children who practice Buddhism rarely responds with  anger because goes against their beliefs of kindness to all people  • Also differ in in events that trigger emotions: specifically complex emotions (i.e. north  American elementary school children show pride for personal achievements like high  marks on test which Asian elementary school children are embarrassed by public displays  of individual achievement but show pride when class is honored)   4) What is emotional self­regulation? What strategies do children use to manage  their emotions?  Emotional self­regulation: strategies we use to adjust the intensity and duration of  emotional reactions (3 ways)  a) Regulate their own emotions and rely less on others (i.e. child afraid of a storm will  not run to their parent but make their own plan. Might reassure themselves by saying I  am safe in a house and the storm won’t last long  b) Rely on mental strategies (i.e. disappointment over grief)  c) Match regulation strategy with particular setting (faced with unavoidable emotional  situations children adjust to the situations) (i.e. dentist appointment)  (Hint there are 3 of them). How does this develop during infancy, early childhood and  middle childhood? Infancy: Parent’s sooth the child (i.e. hold the shoulder/ rocking) 6months to 2 years: learn to self­sooth with simple strategies (i.e. thumb sucking  approach or avoid things) start to use language (i.e. mommy scary)  early childhood: talk about their feelings and try to control them (i.e. Distract themselves,  cover their eyes) learn from caregiver’s actions and talking with them, (emoti­dice)  17 caregivers positive and negative expressions are important (i.e. parents who rarely show  positive emotions dismiss their child’s emotions)  middle childhood: difference between feeling and expressing emotions, reflecting on their  emotions internally   5)What is the difference between problem­focused coping and emotion­focused  coping? Problem centered coping: appraise situation, difficulty and decide what to do  Emotion centered coping (internal and private): about controlling distress when cannot  control the outcome  6) What is social referencing? Explain why this is it important?  Use another person’s emotions to understand a situation  Important: teaches child how to react to many everyday events, move beyond reacting to  another’s emotions (start to understand the meaning behind the emotion)  • • 7) What is empathy? How does empathy develop? • Empathy: is understanding, to take another persons emotional perspective, value more  than sympathy (to feel with that person)  • Display rules: culturally specific standards for appropriate expression of emotions in  setting or with people (I.e. sadness with family vs. sadness with strangers)  • Development: imitation/modelling (i.e. newborns cry if another baby is crying)  • Age 2 and up: begin to empathize and try to relieve unhappiness (i.e. hug their mom or  ask others for help)  • Childhood and beyond; ability to empathize general life conditions (i.e. people with  disadvantaged incomes)  8) What is the definition of temperament?  How we react (quickness and intensity of our emotion, attention or physical action) and  regulate (how we display that reaction) ourselves (biological)  18 Important: learn to regulate emotions, temperament improves organized approach to the  world  9) What are Rothbart’s 3 dimensions of temperament? How do they work together?  Provide an example.  3 dimensions work together (1) urgency/extraversion: the extent to which a child is generally happy, active and vocal,  regularly seeks interesting situation  (2) negative affect: the extent to which a child is angry, fearful land shy, not easily  soothed   (3) effortful control: the extent to which a child can focus attention, not easily distracted,  can inhibit responses (i.e. don’t express angry feelings)  application to parents: accept child’s temperament and adjust parenting 10) How stable is temperament from middle childhood to adulthood?  Temperament is moderately stable (i.e. shy at 1 shy at 12)  Not for certain  Nature: identical twins are more alike in temperament  Nurture: interaction with parents, model positive emotions  •   11) What is the definition of attachment? Why is attachment important?When is  attachment most visible? promotes survival: attaching to a parent ensures food and care security feeling safe and trusting others, sense that someone is always there for you  (through consistent, sensitive and responsive care)  more visible when: stressed, ill or afraid  12) What are the four characteristics of attachment? Identify, describe, and provide  an example for each of the characteristics. Proximity seeking: maintaining a physical closeness (i.e. touching their leg and sitting on  19 their lap)  Separation distress: visibly show distress when being separated (i.e. crying and reaching  for a parent)  Secure base: base of exploration, confidence or imaginary net (i.e. going back and fourth  to mom when playing in a new unfamiliar place)  Safe haven: comfort and closeness (i.e. wanting a hug for reassurance and being told they  are okay)  • • 13) What are the 4 phases of attachment development? Identify and describe each  phase.  • 1) Pre­attachment: bring newborns into close contact with parents (parents responds and  baby encourages, use signals with parents to bring them closer (i.e. smiling grasping), not  attached yet: being okay being left with a stranger  • 2) Attachment in the making: safe haven (i.e. smiling, laughing and soothed easily with  familiar caregiver), develop trust with caregiver (will respond to child’s needs ) no  separation protest  • 3) True Attachment Phase: attachment is clear, shows separation anxiety or protest (upset  when familiar caregiver leaves, depends on temperament), secure base and proximity  seeking (i.e. approach, follow, and climb onto familiar caregiver)  nd • 4) Reciprocal relationships: end of 2  year, separation protest declines, begin to  cognitively understand why they leave and anticipate when they return, negotiation (read  story before leaving) and clear sense of confidence (accessible and responsive in times of  need)  • • 14) What is the Strange Situation Procedure (hint, we watched it in class)? Who  developed it?  • Mary Ainsworth developed strange situation test: series of separations and reunions  between parent and child, one way to measure quality of attachment, everyone becomes  attached But the quality of attachment is different   • • 15)What are the 4 attachment patterns / styles? Describe the characteristics and  behaviors associated with each one. • Secure attachment (60­65%): infants: use parents as a secure base (i.e. play with toys and  20 look back) may or may not cry upon separation, seek out parent for comfort when  reunited middle childhood –adulthood: labeled secure attachment, good self image,  confident, approach others for comfort and support and can problem solve and comfort  themselves  • Avoidant attachment: (20%) infants: unresponsive to parent when present, not visibly  upset, do not care for stranger, avoid parent during reunion (i.e. turn their back and wont  look at them) middle childhood0 adulthood: label as fearful and dismissing attachment,  low self image and confidence OR inflated sense of self, wither dismiss relationships to  protect themselves or are afraid of relationships for fear of rejection  • Resistant Attachment (10­15%): infants: fail to explore, seek closeness to caregiver,  distressed during separation, distraught and not easily comforted, clinginess with ager,  i.e. want to be comforted but may kick caregiver. Middle childhood –adulthood: labeled  as preoccupied attachment, low self image and confidence, idealize others and use them  to boost their low self worth (i.e. friend that will go along with anything , idealize a  parent that treats them bad  • Disorganized attachment (5­10%): infants: confused and show contradictory behaviors  during reunions (i.e. parent is holding them they look away and have a flat depressed  affect), dazed: facial expression and odd frozen poses, labeled as dismissing, fearful, or  preoccupied in middle­ adulthood  • • 16) Describe what an internal working model is.  • Bowlby: factor affecting attachment • Internal working model: views about self (how you view yourself in relationships and  your beliefs about what you deserve in your relationships) and views about others (your  beliefs about what others provide you in relationships and what you believe you deserve  from other people, always updating models  • • 17) How stable is attachment? What are the consequences of attachment for  children who were rated as secure and for children who were rated as insecure?  Longitudinal research: secure attachments more stable than insecure  If secure during childhood more likely to be secure in adulthood  When a child’s family environment or life circumstances are reasonable consistent  (security or insecurity usually remains constant even over many years)  Consequences: children who were rated as secure: display more sociability and positive  behaviors toward friends and siblings, less clinging and dependence on teachers, less  21 aggressive and disruptive behavior, more empathy and emotional maturity managing  social environments (i.e. school home and sports)  Children who were rated as insecure: specifically avoidant: less positive and supportive  friendships, more likely to become sexually active early and practice riskier sex, also  show some kind of deviant behavior patterns (isolation from peers, passivity,  hyperactivity or aggressiveness.)  • •  • 18)▯ How is attachment different for North American parents? For Germans  parents? For Japanese parents?  • North American Parents (i.e. secure style) encourage comfort and closeness  • German Parents (i.e. avoidant style) encourage non clinginess and value independence in  their children  • Japanese parents: (resistant style): encourage clinginess and value closeness in their  children  • 19)▯ Explain the details of Naber et al.’s (2007) study regarding attachment and  children with intellectual disabilities.   Children with autism are, despite their autistic characteristics, capable of forming  attachment relationships (typically labeled with disorganized attachment) Disorganized  attachment is observed in children who are not about to develop an organized attachment  pattern  Few studies have explored developmental disorders (only a handful have explored  attachment and autism, lows of areas with no information) yet to explore cortisol level  and heart rate reactions during the strange situation for children under 4 with autism and  other developmental delays  Explore distribution of attachment classifications  Explored children’s physiological reactions (cortisol response and heart rate during the  strange situation test)  Understand social interactions of children with autism  Method: children (2.5­4 years)  Results: children with developmental disorder less often labeled with secure attachment  when compared to control group, autism and mental retardation (lower intellectual ability  greater chance of being labeled with disorganized attachment and more autistic symptoms  22 present less likely to be labeled with secure attachment, insecure attachement,  specifically disorganized attachment was over represented in all clinical groups  Heart rates and saliva (stress response decreased if the child had more severe symptoms  of their disorder and displayed more heart rate reactivity regardless of their specific  disorder  Conclusions: developmental level is a factor: may influence consistency of behavioral  patterns associated with disorganization of attachment, children do not experience stress  during procedure or become too confused  limitation designed for health children and looking for the same behaviors    Week Ten Understanding of Self and Others  1) What is self­recognition? How does it develop? self recognition: identify the self as a physical unique being: aware of physical features:  refer to themselves by name (I or me) (i.e. pick themselves how of photos) at 3 the recognize their own shadow  develops: through exploring the environment  2) How do children develop self­awareness? What happens as children become  aware? Provide examples.  As they become aware: intentional behavior conflicts with others (touching breakable  objects)  Can be focus of others’ emotional reactions  Understand others’ emotions and perspectives (through empathy and self consciousness)  Sense of ownership (2 year old claim objects as mine)  • 3) Explain Categorical, Remembered, and Enduring Self and when does it develop?  (Ages?)  • categorical self (18­30 months): classify themselves based on age (baby boy man), sex  (boy or girl), physical characteristics (big strong), goodness or badness (I am a good girl),  23 self competencies (I did it)  • Remembered (2+): occurs from storytelling (similar to autobiographical memory, use  stories to further understand themselves), view themselves as unique, always existing and  live in a world of others  • Enduring self (4+): view themselves as persisting over time ( realize that a video image  of themselves replayed a few minutes after it was filmed was still me)  • 4) What is Theory of Mind?  • Theory of mind: naïve theory of mind: understanding that people are mental beings,  ability to detect their own and others perceptions, feelings, desires and beliefs, constantly  revising  • 5) What is desire­theory of mind? What happens during this theory of mind? Age? 2­3 years old: think people always act in ways consistent with their desires, don’t  understand that less obvious, more interpretive mental states( beliefs) also affect behavior simple understanding of feelings and desires: (i.e. person looks in box and is happy, so  the box has a desirable thing inside)  6) What is belief­desire theory of mind? What is a false belief? What is the false  belief task and how is it used for theory of mind? What does it mean if a child passes  or fails this task? Why is it important? 3­4 years of age: sophisticated view where both beliefs and desire determine actions use false belief tests to explore belief­desire reasoning: can recognize that inaccurate  beliefs can guide peoples’ behavior (can they understand another’s persons’ perspective  false belief is the Band­Aids example:  7) What factors affect theory of mind development? • a) language: allows the mind to reflect on thoughts  • b) make believe play: allows context for acting out roles and imaging different thoughts  and feelings  • c) social interactions: talking with family and siblings about thoughts, beliefs and  emotions creates more awareness of false beliefs  24 • • 8) What is self concept? • attitudes, behaviors and values  • what a person believes makes him or her a unique individual  • • 9) How does it develop and change during middle childhood? early childhood: talk about observable attributes (preschoolers): possessions, physical  appearance, preferences and competencies (i.e. I got a new red shirt, I’m 4 years old, I  wash my hair all by myself), start to include emotions and membership in social groups  (school age) (i.e. I’m on the basketball team or sometimes I get angry)  middle childhood: talk about positive and negative personality traits (i.e. I’m an honest  person but I lose my temper), comparison with peers: social comparison: judge abilities  behavior, personality in relation to others (i.e. tommy is better at drawing than me) 10) Remember the video where Zoe, Eric and Carmen described themselves – How  were their descriptions different?  • 7 year old Zoë: talked about observable things such as what she liked and disliked  • 12 year old Eric: concrete and then moved to abstract  • 12 year 
More Less

Related notes for FRHD 1020

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit