Summary for Discussion 1 (Group 3)
In group discussion of FSEP Prerequisite Program Review, the following sub-element of PRPs’ in a
food manufacturing plant were discussed in detail:
Requirements before shipping
A food manufacturing plant should have adequate procedures in place to ensure that the finished
product meets all the food safety requirements before it’s shipped to consumers.
- This prevents contamination of the finished product and also the damaged food packages are
- This PRP also ensures constant monitoring at every production step in a plant
Sanitary Facilities - Hand-washing stations
A very critical PRP in a food plant is Sanitary Facilities especially hand washing stations. A food plant
should have properly maintained and convenient hand washing stations with hand-washing
reminders at various locations.
- Proper hand washing before change of every task by the personnel eliminates the risk of
contamination to a huge extent as the food-handlers have direct contact with food at every
- Also, the hand washing stations should have proper disposal with no rusting or clogging so as
to prevent contamination. Along with hand washing, a policy for wearing plastic gloves to
ensure proper hygiene should be in place so that plastic gloves don’t become a source of
- Washing hands and frequently changing before changes of task is very important to ensure
food safety. It is also a very critical safety precaution to make use of metalized bandages,
earplugs and possible gloves to ensure that they are detected if they accidently fall in the
Pest infestation in a food plant can have serious implications in a food manufacturing plant with a
very high risk of food contamination due to pathogens and spread of disease to consumers.
- To prevent the pest infestation a proper, documented Pest Control Program should be in
place to e