Study Guides (289,005)
CA (138,141)
U of G (7,577)
HROB (101)
HROB 2100 (51)
Study Guide

[HROB 2100] - Final Exam Guide - Ultimate 96 pages long Study Guide!
Premium

96 Pages
Fall 2016

Department
Human Resources and Organizational Behaviour
Course Code
HROB 2100
Professor
Rhonda Gordon
Study Guide
Final

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 96 pages of the document.
UofG
HROB 2100
FINAL EXAM
STUDY GUIDE
HROB*2700 Lecture Notes
MIDTERM 1
Chapter 2 HR
The Legal Framework for Employment in Canada
Employer: right to modify employee work terms for legitimate business needs
Employee: right to be protected from harmful business practices
Government: balance needs of employer and employee
Jurisdiction
federal laws govern federally regulated employers
provincial/territorial employment laws govern all other employers
Canadian Legislation
Canadians are protected under:
o Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms (basic rights)
o Human Rights Legislation (against discrimination)
o Employment Standards Legislation (minimum conditions of employment)
o Ordinary Laws
o Collective Bargaining Agreement
o Employment contract
Discrimination
Treating someone differently based on prohibited grounds
o a distinction, exclusion or preference based on one of the prohibited grounds that has
the effect of nullifying or impairing the right of a person to full and equal recognition
ad eeise of his o he hua ights ad feedos.
Prohibited grounds: age, sex, race, colour, religion, sexual orientation, etc
Intentional discrimination: direct, differential/unequal treatment, by association
Unintentional discrimination: constructive or systemic, embedded in policies with adverse
impact on specific groups (ie at Blood Drive, no one under 110lbs can donate blood)
Bona Fide Occupational Requirement (BFOR): justifiable reason for discrimination, based on
safe and efficient operations (ie someone who is blind cannot work as a bus driver)
Reasonable Accommodation
Institutions are required to accommodate all employees
o Adjustment of employment policies/practices so that no individual is denied benefits or
is disadvantaged
o Based on prohibited grounds
find more resources at oneclass.com
Often times, companies will claim they cannot afford to accommodate, but they are still
required to
Disability
Disability basis is determined by courts and accommodation should respect dignity, non-
discriminatory, and the most appropriate accommodation should be undertaken
Harassment
Unwelcome behaviour that demeans, humiliates or embarrasses a person and that a
easoale peso should hae ko ould e ueloe.
Harassment is subjective so people need to be aware of others and be mindful of what they are
saying or doing
Examples: unwelcome [sexual] remarks, written or verbal abuse/threats, jokes that embarrass
or offend someone, etc
It is on the employer to ensure no harassment takes place in the workplace between them and
employees and between coworkers
It is the eploe’s esposiilit to protect employees from harassment (including harassment
from clients or customers)
Sexual Harassment
Offesie o huiliatig ehaiou that is elated to a peso’s se, as ell as seual ehaiou
that creates an intimidating, unwelcome, or offensive working environment
“eual oditios a e plaed o a peso’s jo o eploet opportunities (ie between a
supervisor and the person who reports to them)
Sexual coercion: sexual harassment that results in direct consequence to the workers
employment status or a gain/loss in job benefits (ie supervisor indicates that if employee
performs a sexual favour they will get a raise)
Sexual Annoyance: sexually related conduct that is hostile, intimidating, or offensive to the
employee but with no link to job benefits or losses
Harassment Policies
To reduce liability, employers should:
o Establish sound harassment policies
o Communicate policies to all employees EQUALLY
o Enforce policies in a fair and consistent manner
o Take an active role in maintaining a working environment that is free of harassment
When you create a policy, as an employer you need to make sure that you apply it to everyone
EQUALLY and FAIRLY
Employment Equity Act
Based on the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and applies to federally regulated employers only
It promotes equality and removes employment barriers

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
UofG HROB 2100 FINAL EXAM STUDY GUIDE find more resources at oneclass.com HROB*2700 LectureNotes MIDTERM 1 Chapter 2 HR The Legal Framework for Employment in Canada Employer: right to modify employee work terms for legitimate business needs Employee: right to be protected from harmful business practices Government: balance needs of employer and employee Jurisdiction federal laws govern federally regulated employers provincialterritorial employment laws govern all other employers Canadian Legislation Canadians are protected under: o Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms (basic rights) o Human Rights Legislation (against discrimination) o Employment Standards Legislation (minimum conditions of employment) o Ordinary Laws o Collective Bargaining Agreement o Employment contract Discrimination Treating someone differently based on prohibited grounds o a distinction, exclusion or preference based on one of the prohibited grounds that has the effect of nullifying or impairing the right of a person to full and equal recognition ad eeise of his o he hua ights ad feedos. Prohibited grounds: age, sex, race, colour, religion, sexual orientation, etc Intentional discrimination: direct, differentialunequal treatment, by association Unintentional discrimination: constructive or systemic, embedded in policies with adverse impact on specific groups (ie at Blood Drive, no one under 110lbs can donate blood) Bona Fide Occupational Requirement (BFOR): justifiable reason for discrimination, based on safe and efficient operations (ie someone who is blind cannot work as a bus driver) Reasonable Accommodation Institutions are required to accommodate all employees o Adjustment of employment policiespractices so that no individual is denied benefits or is disadvantaged o Based on prohibited grounds find more resources at oneclass.com
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit