Department
Mathematics
Course Code
MATH 1200
Professor
Matthew Demers
Study Guide
Final

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
MATH 1200 8 Dec 2016
LIMITS
Tangent Lines
A tangent line is a line that locally touches a function at only one point. To find the slope of a tangent line, at a
given point a:
m= lim
h0
f(a+h)f(a)
h
Anormal line is the line perpendicular to the tangent; they have a slope of 1/m.
Limit Rules
Assuming that limxaf(x)and limxag(x)both exist, where a, c R.
1. limxa[f(x)±g(x)] = limxaf(x)±limxag(x)
2. limxacf(x) = c·limxaf(x)
3. limxaf(x)g(x) = limxaf(x)·limxag(x)
4. limxa
f(x)
g(x)=limxaf(x)
limxag(x)
5. limxah(f(x)) = h(limxaf(x)), for h(x)continuous.
Factor Theorem
If f(p) = 0 for any polynomial f(x),(xp)is a factor of f(x).
Ex. Find limx2
2x4+ 17x3+ 31x262x168
6x5+ 5x4153x3+ 8x2+ 660x400.
If you directly substitute x= 2 into the above function, you get 0
0. This means that (x2) is a factor for
both polynomials in the function. Factor (x2) out of each polynomial, using synthetic division, then try direct
substitution again.
One-sided Limits
Functions can sometimes be discontinuous at certain points, this is especially true for piece-wise functions. A limit
exists only when a function is continuous, this is determined by evaluating a limit approaching xfrom both the left
and right.
limxaf(x) = Lmeans the limit of f(x)approaching xfrom the left.
limxa+f(x) = L+means the limit of f(x)approaching xfrom the right.
If L̸=L+, the limit doesn’t exist.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
MATH 1200 8 Dec 2016 L IMITS Tangent Lines A tangent line is a line that locally touches a function at only one point. To find the slope of a tangent line, at a given point a: f▯a ▯ h▯ ▯ f▯a▯ m ▯ ▯h▯▯ h A normal line is the line perpendicular to the tangent; they have a slope of ▯▯=m. Limit Rules Assuming that ▯▯▯ f▯x▯ and ▯▯▯ g▯x▯ both exist, where a;c ▯ R. x▯a x▯a 1. ▯▯x▯a ▯f▯x▯ ▯ g▯x▯▯ ▯ ▯▯x▯a f▯x▯ ▯ ▯▯▯x▯a g▯x▯ 2. ▯▯x▯a cf▯x▯ ▯ c ▯ ▯▯x▯a f▯x▯ 3. ▯▯x▯a f▯x▯g▯x▯ ▯ ▯▯▯ x▯a f▯x▯ ▯ ▯x▯a g▯x▯ f▯x▯ ▯▯▯x▯a f▯x▯ 4. ▯▯x▯a ▯ g▯x▯ ▯▯▯x▯a g▯x▯ 5. ▯▯x▯a h▯f▯x▯▯ ▯ h▯▯▯▯ x▯a f▯x▯▯, for h▯x▯ continuous. Factor Theorem If f▯p▯ ▯ ▯ for any polynomial f▯x▯, ▯x ▯ p▯ is a factor of f▯x▯. ▯ ▯ ▯ ▯x ▯ ▯▯x ▯ ▯▯x ▯ ▯▯x ▯ ▯▯▯ Ex. Find ▯▯x▯▯ ▯x ▯ ▯x ▯ ▯▯▯x ▯ ▯x ▯ ▯▯▯x ▯ ▯▯▯ . ▯ If you directly substitute x ▯ ▯ into the above function, you . This means that ▯x ▯ ▯▯ is a factor for ▯ both polynomials in the function. Factor ▯x ▯ ▯▯ out of each polynomial, using synthetic division, then try direct substitution again. One-sided Limits Functions can sometimes be discontinuous at certain points, this is especially true for piece-wise functions. A limit exists only when a function is continuous, this is determined by evaluating a limit approaching x from both the left and right. ▯▯▯ ▯f▯x▯ ▯ L ▯eans the limit of f▯x▯ approaching x from the left. x▯a ▯▯▯x▯a +f▯x▯ ▯ L ▯eans the limit of f▯x▯ approaching x from the right. If L ̸▯ L , the limit doesn’t exist. ▯ ▯ 1 MATH 1200 8 Dec 2016 Limits to Infinity When evaluating limits to infinity, it’s important to keep the following in mind: ▯ ▯▯; ▯a▯ < ▯ ▯ ▯▯▯ a ▯ ▯; a ▯ ▯ ▯▯▯ ▯ ▯ ▯; a > ▯ n▯▯ ▯∄; a ▯ ▯▯ n▯▯ na ▯ ∄; ▯a▯ > ▯ D ERIVATIVES First Principles The derivative is related closely to the tangent of a function. The derivative of a function at point a yields a number by ′ f▯a ▯ h▯ ▯ f▯a▯ f ▯a▯ ▯ ▯▯▯ h▯▯ h provided the limit exists. The derivative of an entire function is ′ f▯x ▯ h▯ ▯ f▯x▯ f ▯x▯ ▯ h▯▯ h Notations ′ dy f ▯x▯ ▯ Newton’s f prime of x ▯ Liebniz notation f ▯ Newton’s dot notation dx Differentiation Rules These rules make differentiation easier, so you don’t need to use first principles. 1. The constant function rule: 5. The product rule: f▯x▯ ▯ k; k ▯ R f▯x▯ ▯ uv f ▯x▯ ▯ ▯ f ▯x▯ ▯ ▯uv▯ ▯ u v ▯ uv′ 2. The power rule: 6. The quotient rule: f▯x▯ ▯ x ; n ▯ R f▯x▯ ▯ u ′ n▯▯ v f ▯x▯ ▯ nx ( u ′ u v ▯ uv′ f ▯x▯ ▯ ▯ ▯ 3. The constant multiple rule: v v f▯x▯ ▯ k ▯ g▯x▯; k ▯ R; g▯x▯ is differentiable 7. The power of a function rule
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit