Nutrition (303)
NUTR 2050 (36)

Complete Diet Analysis Assignment

11 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Guelph
NUTR 2050
Simone Holligan

Sarah Murphy Diet Analysis 2013 NUTR 2050 Simone Holligan Sarah Murphy 0715438 Introduction Gender: Female Age: 21 years Life-Stage Group: Emerging Adulthood (Young Adult) Activity Level Lightly active Height: 5 foot 5 inches (1.651 meters) Weight: 184.4 pounds (83.6424 kg) Recent change in Body Weight: Recently lost 15 lbs (since September 1) BMI: Interpretation of BMI based on Healthy Weight Guidelines for Canadians: I am in the Obese classification, class I, and at high risk of developing health problems Food Intake in Comparison of life-stage/gender group of EWCFG EWCFG Qualitative Food Group Day 1 Day 2 Day 3 Recommendation Comparison Vegetables and Fruit 4 5.5 4.5 7-8 Servings Below recommendation Grain Products 0 0 0 6-7 Servings Below recommendation Milk and Alternatives 0 1 0.5 2 Servings Below recommendation Meat and Alternatives 5.25 7.75 4.25 2 Servings Above recommendation  When oils and fats are consumed, I only use 1 tsp (5mL) non-hydrogenated Margarine  Eat at least one dark green and one orange vegetable each day - On Thursday and Friday, I consumed 1 serving of dark green and orange vegetables, and on Saturday, I consumed 2 servings of dark green and orange vegetables.  Make at least half of your grain products whole grain each day – I don‟t eat any grains, on the off chance that I do, I make sure the product is made with a nut flour  Drink skim, 1%, or 2% milk each day – I am lactose intolerant, so I only have cream (10%) in my coffee, 1% milk in my tea, and low-fat Cheddar cheese in my omelets  Did you consume fish? Did you choose lower fat meat and alternatives? – Yes, on Wednesday I consumed an 8oz (240g) fillet of Basa. I make sure to buy lean proteins at the grocery store, especially ground beef 2 Sarah Murphy 0715438 Nutrient Analysis Table Nutrient 3-Day DRI DRI Qualitative Comparison Average RDA/AI TUL Intake below recommendation – Energy (kcal) 850.67 1800- 2202 potential concern, needs to be 2400 increased Protein (g/day) 79 46 175 Above RDA, below TUL % Calories as Intake above recommendation – protein 39.07% 10-35% 35% probably okay Intake above recommendation – % Calories as fat 40.27% 20-35% 35% needs to be decreased Fiber (g/day) 4 25 None Intake below recommendation – probably needs to be improved Thiamin (mg/day) 2.76 1.1 Not determined Intake above recommendation Intake slightly above Riboflavin (mg/day) 1.91 1.1 Not determined recommendation Niacin (mg/day) 33.64 14 35 Intake above RDA and TUL Vitamin B6 Unknown 1.3 100 Unknown (mg/day) Vitamin B12 (g/day) Unknown 2.4 Not determined Unknown Intake below recommendation – Folate (g/day) 190 400 1000 probably okay (unless trying to get pregnant) Vitamin C (mg/day) 199.73 75 2000 Intake above RDA and below TUL Unknown 5 50 Unknown Vitamin D (g/day) Vitamin E (mg/day) Unknown 15 1000 Unknown Intake far below recommendation – Calcium (mg/day) 29 1000 2500 needs to improve Intake above RDA, below TUL – Iron (mg/day) 19.33 18 45 probably okay Sodium (mg/day) 941 1500 2300 Intake below recommendation – probably ok 1) The nutrient analysis program I used was MyFoodRecord, and MyFitnessPal 2) I did not input any information about my dietary patterns, just that I live a lightly active life 3) I did not have to substitute any foods in my nutrient analysis software 4) The majority of DRI values that are noted above were taken from the nutrient analysis websites, however, some of the nutrients that were not offered through those websites were taken from the textbook and other informative websites, for example, Vitamin D and Vitamin E Diet Analysis Commentary Question 6 a) My BMI is 30.6, which means I am in the Class I of obesity, and therefore, at high risk of developing health problems. According to My Fitness Pal, my energy intake should be 1200 calories 3 Sarah Murphy 0715438 per day, while the EWCFG intake says I should be eating close to 2500 calories per day, however, I am only eating, on average for 3-days, approximately 850 calories per day. Before doing this diet analysis, I knew that I ate fewer calories than I was supposed to, but I did not realize how little I actually eat. I realize now that my recent weight loss of 15 pounds could be a result of my limited caloric intake as well as the fact that I have cut out all refined and processed sugars as well as all grain and grain products. b) In Emerging adulthood, Vitamins C, K, A, folate, fiber, potassium, b-vitamins, iron, magnesium, selenium, calcium, vitamin D, and proteins are especially relevant. These are important for many reasons. Vitamins C, K, A, folate, and fiber are found in fruits and vegetables, These help meet nutrient needs and also help in maintaining a healthy weight. B-vitamins, iron, magnesium, and selenium are found in whole grains and other grain products and they help to extract energy from the foods you are eating. Proteins are important as they contain fibre, and healthy fats, as well as some essential vitamins and minerals. According to my nutrient analysis table, I am below recommendation when it comes to most nutrients except for protein and vitamin C. (Corleone, 2011). c) My fruit and vegetable serving numbers are lower than the recommended servings, which also means that my vitamins C, K, A, folate, and fiber are expected to be low. These are all true except for Vitamin C, I try to have a glass or bottle (250mL) of orange juice everyday to increase my Vitamin C intake. My grain product serving numbers are extremely low compared to the recommended daily servings, as I do not eat any grains or grain products. This means that it is expected that my fiber, b- vitamins, iron, magnesium, and selenium are expected to be extremely low. I am unsure of my vitamin b6 and b12 intake as my nutrient analysis website did not give me that information. My milk and alternatives serving numbers are also extremely low compared to the recommended daily servings. This means that my calcium and vitamin D, which are both important for bone health, are expected to be low. This limitation in these nutrients can lead to health problems, like osteoporosis and more, so I am going to start taking a calcium supplement in order to make up the lack of milk and alternatives in my diet. Finally, my meat and alternatives serving numbers are quite high when being compared to the recommended servings because of the unlimited protein allowed in my diet. Protein helps to repair cells and make new ones and also important for growth and development, especially during childhood. d) Intrapersonal factors are factors of the individual. For example, in the emerging adulthood life- stage, this time is all about transitioning into young adulthood, as well as a time to explore one‟s own identity. Some intrapersonal factors that affect food intake include taste preferences, lack of nutritional knowledge, and inadequate cooking skills. Young adults are still finding out what foods they like and don‟t like, this can affect what they buy at the store, and also what they cook, or even if they can cook. A lot of young adults are still students, so cost has a huge affect on food intake, as students don‟t have a lot of money and want to buy food that is less expensive and easy to make, which is why fast food is always an easy option. Interpersonal factors are factors that affect the relationships between families, peers and partners, and more, and they help to promote behavioural change. Food intake in this sense can be affected by one‟s living situation, food preparation, significant other, and more. People who live with their parents are likely to eat more fast food, less fruit and vegetables and less whole grains, while people living with roommates are likely to each more fruit and vegetables and more milk. Women with a significant other have been proven to show signs of increased physical activity, eating more fruits and vegetables and are less likely to be overweight or obese. Environmental factors are external factors that can affect your food intake, even if you don‟t realize it. These factors can include, portion size – especially at restaurants, food labels and 4 Sarah Murphy 0715438 descriptions, even dish size – the bigger the plate, the more you feel you have to fill it. At restaurants there are very limited options when it comes to portion size, unless it is a salad, in which you can get an appetizer size or a meal size, this is quite ironic as salads are the „healthy‟ part of a meal. Food labels are good at affecting food intake because, like we discussed in our lectures, a producer can write captions like “low in saturated fat,” “helps to lower cholesterol,” which makes consumers want to buy this product. e) Based on this report, I am most concerned about my intake of fat, fiber, and calcium. My percent of calories from fat intake needs to be decreased. Too much fat in a diet can lead to high cholesterol, which is mostly found in both lean and fat components of meat, as well as egg yolks, and more. I need to make sure that I am eating more unsaturated fats, as these help to decrease low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol levels, which help to decrease the risk for heart disease, as well as other health problems. My fiber intake also needs to increase. Fiber helps in your diet by reducing the absorption of cholesterol and also has positive effects on blood lipids, glucose metabolism, and weight management. (Brown, 2011). Whole-grain products are great sources of fiber, but because I don‟t eat any grains, I need to get fiber from other places, for example, fruits and vegetables, or even a fiber supplement. Calcium works to maintain bone density, which can delay the onset of osteoporosis and reduce the risk of bone fractures, as well as decrease the risk of colon cancer. (Brown, 2011). Low intakes of calcium have also been linked to hypertension and being overweight. Dairy is one of the best sources of calcium, but since I am lactose intolerant, I try to limit myself to only having dairy when it is necessary, I will look into taking a calcium supplement which can help to decrease my chances of the health problems noted above. f) In my opinion, the single most important change I could make in my diet to improve my food intake would be to increase my caloric intake. I am still trying to lose weight, as I am not happy with the way I look, and I understand that I need to eat more, even if that means more fruits and vegetables, or other healthy food options. This will help in giving me more energy, so I don‟t feel as tired throughout the day, and will also help to keep my diet balanced. This along with taking calcium and fiber supplements will be my number one priority. Question 7 Article 1: Interventions for Weight Gain Prevention During the Transition to Young Adulthood: A Review of the Literature Laska, Pelletier, Larson, and Story (2012), note that the transition from adolescence into young adulthood, or emerging adulthood, is recognized as being one of the most influential periods for weight gain in a person‟s life, yet there is little to no evidence in using interventions in order to prevent weight gain. This article uses 37 intervention studies from both the US and Canada which mainly focus on weight gain prevention in young adults. These articles use weight, BMI or body composition change as an outcome or potential determinant of weight gain prevention. 27 of the 37 studies addressed subjects such as dietary intake and/or physical activity, while the other 10 articles assessed weight, BMI, and/or body composition as a primary outcome. More weight gain prevention studies need to be done for young adults because, at this age, there are many challenges to overcome. These challenges include rapidly shifting life circumstances related to home, work, family, and other relationships; difficulties in juggling new responsibilities; continued cognitive development; as well as learning the new skills that are needed to be able to manage basic adult responsibilities, including food preparation and meal planning (Laska et al., 2012). 5 Sarah Murphy 0715438 As I am a part of the young adulthood, or emerging adulthood, life-stage group, I would agree that this is the most influential period for weight loss. I
More Less

Related notes for NUTR 2050

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.