Physics (62)
PHYS 1600 (12)

Week 10/ Unit 10

11 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Guelph
PHYS 1600
Mike Massa

Unit 10Hey guys so I just wanted to let you know that unit 10 had a lot of interactive displays so you may want to take a look at them when studying its 12 pg a but I had 17 pgs and tried to shrink itHope it helpsThe discussion divides up neatly into three categories lowmass stars intermediatemass stars and highmass starsWhat do you think answersVariable stars areStars that vary their luminosity in time in a regular or an irregular fashionGlobular clusters areSpherical distributions of old starsWhite dwarfs are Burned out cores of lowmass starsSupernovae are Explosions of stars on mass greater than 10 M at the end of otheir existence as a result of a rapid collapse of their coresPulsars areThe rotating neutron star remnant of an exploded starBlack holes are Matter that has been compressed to a radius such that nothing can escape from it even light Globular clusters are quite different from the irregular or open galactic clusters they exist in a completely different region of our galaxy1214many giant stars are found in groups called global clusters named fro their sphericial shapesA typical global cluster may be figure 1229may contain up to a million stars in volume 200 light years acrossAstronomers know that global clusters are old stars because the contain no high mass main sequence starsHorizontal branch stars undergo helium fusion in their cores and have luminosities of 50LThe HR diagram can be used to determine age of the cluster assuming all of the stars in the clusterformed at the same timeIn the HR diagram the young open clusters almost all of the hot massive stars are still in the main sequenceAs a cluster gets older he stars begin to leave the main sequenceThe high mass luminosity stars are the first to become giantsOver time the main sequence in a cluster gets shorter and shorterThe top is called the turnoff point this is when starts are just about to exhaust their hydrogen coresPg 400 and 401 have 11 diagrams I would suggest looking over them
More Less

Related notes for PHYS 1600

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.