PHYS 1070 Study Guide - Piano Tuning, Tuning Fork, String Vibration
This preview shows pages 1-2. to view the full 7 pages of the document.
Name (please PRINT, with SURNAME FIRST) ______________________________________
PRACTICE FINAL EXAMINATION - WINTER 2008
Introductory Physics for the Life Sciences I
Examiners: M.L. Williams and D.E. Sullivan
Allowed aid: Non-graphing calculator.
1. PRINT your name and ID number on this question paper in the space above.
2. Use an HB pencil (= #2 pencil) to fill in the University of Guelph Test Scoring Answer Sheet:
• bubble in your last name, and first and middle initials, and print your last
name and first and middle initials.
• bubble in your student ID number, and print your student ID number in
the appropriate spaces.
• leave the section number blank
• in the E-mail ID area, bubble in your Blackboard USER ID, starting at the left.
3. There are 15 questions (of equal weight) and two formula pages; be sure you have a complete
4. Do your rough work beside the questions or on the backs of the question pages.
(If you require more blank paper, it will be provided).
5. Circle your selected answer for each question on this question paper and then transfer your
answer to the Answer Sheet.
This question paper, rough work, and the Answer Sheet will be collected at the end of the examination.
Place all sheets inside the question paper
6. TO AVOID ERRORS
(a) Do not mark your answer on the Answer Sheet until you are sure of your response.
Minimize your need to erase answers on the Answer Sheet.
(b) If you do erase, do it neatly without smudging.
(c) Allow at least five minutes before the end of the exam to check your answers on the
Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.
1. A sound wave travelling in the positive x direction has a wavelength in air of 0.17m and a
speed in air of 340 m/s. Which equation below describes this wave?
(A) y = 2yo cos (2000t) sin (340x)
(B) y = yo sin(4000πt + 11.8πx)
(C) y = yo sin[4000π (t - x/340)]
(D) y = yo sin(2000t - 2000x/340)
(E) y = 2yo cos(4000πt) sin(-2000πx/340)
2. The intensity level 15.0 m from a speaker is 85 db. What acoustical power would pass through
a rectangular window (2.0 m x 1.0 m) in a wall at this distance from the speaker? Assume that
the speaker is a point source radiating in all directions.
(A) 6.32 x 10-4 W
(B) 7.98 x 10-4 W
(C) 4.85 x 10-4 W
(D) 1.36 x 10-5 W
(E) 1.78 x 10-5 W
3. A 2.0 m long piano string on a piano normally has a primary resonance at 440 Hz, but is out
of tune. A piano tuner hears a beat frequency of 5 Hz when a 440 Hz tuning fork is sounded
near the string and a beat frequency of 5 Hz when a 450 Hz tuning fork is sounded near the
string. Which one of the following statements is true?
(A) The first harmonic of the piano string has a frequency of 435 Hz.
(B) The second harmonic of the piano string has a frequency of 890 Hz
(C) Shortening the string by the right amount will tune its frequency to 440 Hz.
(D) Increasing the tension (and wave velocity) on the string will tune it to 440 Hz
(E) None of the above statements is true.
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version