Political Science
Course
POLS 3180
Professor
Edward Koning
Semester
Fall

Description
1. 2 sets of questions, one in each set – 5 questions 2. Do you think the values of researchers affect the goals of their research studies ontologically and epistemologically a. Ontology – what is there? Is there a truth independent of us? What exists in the world? b. Epistemology – what can we know about the world? Is it possible to acquire knowledge about the world? Can we know it entirely or partly? c. Methodology – how do we obtain knowledge? d. Researchers values influence their research – most basic level: choice of research e. Influences the WAY we study a subject i. i.e. measuring the economy of a country: 1. Liberal question – “what is the inequality?” 2. Conservative – “what is the economic growth over a certain span?” f. Values colour our interpretation of evidence – we accept something that favours our normative beliefs instead of challenges it 3. Explain how a positivist and interpretivist values would affect experimental, explorative, and descriptive goals of a. Logical Positivism – science can study social reality relatively unproblematically and arrive at objective conclusions b. Classical positivism – there is a world independent of our interaction with it i. Naturalism – the social world is like the natural world. It is governed by patterns or “laws” that reflect causal relationships ii. There is a fundamental distinction between facts and values iii. Empiricism – observation (sight, taste, hearing, smell, touch) is the source of all knowledge iv. Induction – individual observations  general rule – if we consistently see that B followsA, we can conclude there is a causal relationship between Aand
More Less

Related notes for POLS 3180

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit