Psychology (919)
PSYC 2310 (77)

Social Psychology Notes PreMidterm 1.docx

8 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Guelph
PSYC 2310
Saba Safdar

Social Psychology Prof. Saba Safdar Week 1 th January 10 , 2012 Introducing Social Psychology - Study of: o Social thinking o Social influence o Social relatedness - What is social psychology o The scientific study of the way in which a person’s thoughts, feelings, and behaviours are influenced by the real or imagined presence of other people (Allport, 1985) o It is about individuals o Social because it can be real or imagined - What is science? o A field must adopt a Set of values and methods to be considered a scientific field  Accuracy  Objectivity  Skepticism o We need proper measurement - History o Norman Triplett cyclists bike faster when people present o Floyd Allport  book on social context o World War II increased research in social psych - Major Contributions (1930-60) o Gordon Allport prejudice, establishment of the Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues o Muzafer Sherif Experimental research on social influence o Kurt Lewin action research o Solomon Asch conformity o Leon Festinger cognitive dissonance o Stanley Milgram obedience Thursday January 12, 2012 Who are we, And how did we become who we are? - William James: basic duality of our perception of self o Self-concept or self-knowledge (who you are, traits and characteristics) o Self-awareness: the “I”, you are the content of the book, what happened to you from your perspective,, ability to reflect on yourself - Three features of self (Baumeister, 1986) o Self includes the body (physical body needed to be someone) o Social identity (as part of a group: sex, religion etc.) o Active agent (you decide what you want to do) - Functions of Selfhood o Self is an interpersonal tool (you know who you are, know what you want: helps you connect with other individuals, who you want to have relationships with) o Self makes choices o Self regulation - Self-knowledge o Self-knowledge come from:  Self-comparison  Feedback from others o Self as blank slate? Not exactly - Perceived Self-Knowledge o Self-knowledge is obtained from other but it is heavily filtered through biases from others:  Politeness of others  Our lack of tendency to hear and process criticism - Accuracy of Self-Knowledge o Is it possible to have accurate understanding of self-knowledge  Yes, autobiography writers  No, psychoanalysts (self is not available: in subconscious) - Introspection o Process of looking inward at values, thought, feelings and knowledge o Limitations:  People don’t do this very often  Reasons for some behaviour in unknown to us (we do it unconsciously) - Healthy self-knowledge o Taylor and Brown: good mental health includes several systematic distortion:  Exaggerating positive self-evaluation  Exaggerating perception of control  Having unrealistic optimism  **Caution: there is an optional margin of illusion for health adjustment - Self-esteem o Self-esteem is a sense of personal worth o There are two roots to self-esteem:  Social feedback  Direct experience of efficiency o Is self-esteem stable or fluctuate  Stable - Enhancing self-esteem: o Social comparison  Downward comparison (I’m better)  Upward comparison - The dark side of self-esteem o People with inflated self-esteem will put others down, even with violence if their own esteem is being threatened o Low self-esteem  negative expectations  low effort, high anxiety  failure  self- blame  cycle starts again - Self-awareness o Refers to the state in which one’s attention is focused on oneself and one is comparing self with a set of standards o State and trait Week 2 January 17, 2011 - Definition of culture o Culture compromises the human-made part of the environment and the social institutions of the society such as norms, rules and laws - Where is culture o In the heads of its members - Culture imposes a set of values o Culture shapes our experiences  In some cultures, I would be considered normal o Ecology shapes cultures o Ecology culture  social behaviour - Sameness vs. Differences o There are universal behaviours and experiences o There are cultural differences in practicing social behaviours and interpreting experiences - Who am I questionnaire o Who am I? o Who am I? o Who am I? o Etc. - Interdependent self o Social identity, define self by defining group (I’m Buddhist, I am French, I live with my parents) - Independent self o I like dogs, I play guitar - Independent vs. Interdependent self-construal o Self is autonomous vs. self is connected with others o Self behaves, primarily, as a consequence of internal attributes vs., behaviour of interdependent self is contingent on what the actor perceives to be the thought, feelings and actions of others o The independent self gives rise to self-actualization vs. the interdependent elf gives rise to fulfilling and creating obligation - Three aspects of self o Private o Public o Collective o Cultures vary on emphasis placed on aspects of self - Individualism vs. collectivism o Two contrasting cultural orientations o Individualists tend to describe themselves in terms of internal characteristics which make them unique o Collectivists are more likely to think of themselves in terms of their affiliation with other people - Important qualifications o Cultures and nations are two different concepts o Cultures are heterogeneous o Cultures influence each other o Cultures are in constant change Thursday January 19, 2012 Attribution - Comparing other people’s behaviour - Answering the why question o Tania Patricia Hearst o She was kidnapped, father gave ransom o Kept giving money for 3 months o She ended up joining kidnap
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 2310

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.