You will only be tested 6,7,8.
Ch3,4,9,10 – CCT
Ch 28- CJCR
AND 2 ARTICLES ON COURSELINK (2 OR 3 QUESTIONS ONT HAT ARTICLE)
FORMAT: (60 marks)
15 Q on T/F (25%)
40 MCQ (66.7%)
1 written Q (8.3%) BASED ON TODAYS LECTURE (FIRST TWO SLIDES)
Categories of crime (street v white collared)
Examples applied. (ex of homicide and tell me what type of homicide that is)
Definitions of concepts how to apply them (labelling theory for ex)
Theory: explain crimes or creators of crimes (subjectivist theories)
Patterns of crime and characteristics of crime what’s the most common form of
homicide? Who is most likely to be killed? Males 18-24 etc.
The strengths or weakness of theories (weaknesses= criticisms; especially labelling
APPROACHES (23 Q)
- Labelling theory (Defn, concepts, criticisms) master status, achieved
- -Legal Stigma General findings.
- Marxist theories (radical criminology) 2 types; know instrumental v ___)
- Neo-Marxist theories the diff between the proleteriats and the bourlegies.
- Liberal conflict theory (culture, group, indiv)
- Conflict theory (textbook) Chambliss. Know what the argument is.
- Reiman (argument) YOU NEED TO KNOW HIS NAME. Argued that you are
more likely to be harmed from white collared crime than you are from street
- Feminist theory (different types: Radical, liberal socialists)
- Power control theory: General argument is and criticisms)
- Routine activities theory (suitbale target and capable guardian. DON’T NEED