SOC 2070 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Informal Social Control, Social Constructionism, Norm (Social)

118 views36 pages

Document Summary

The roles assigned to people who exhibit that behaviour or characteristic. The meanings attached to that behaviour or characteristic i. e. homosexuality is universal because it has always existed and across multiple societies, however its perception has varied over time and across different societies. It is (cid:862)pa(cid:396)t of (cid:374)atu(cid:396)e(cid:863) a(cid:374)d also (cid:862)so(cid:272)iall(cid:455) (cid:272)o(cid:374)st(cid:396)u(cid:272)ted(cid:863: deviance is constructed by processes on various levels: Interactional: interactions with others that influence the way we think. We are socialized by the community around us: violation of some norms leads to serious consequences (i. e. prison sentences) and other norm violations are significantly less severe or not severe at all, folkways: informal norms. Violation of these norms results in being viewed as odd or rude (i. e. taking the middle urinal: mores: those standards that are often seen as the foundation of morality in a culture (i. e. prohibitions against incest or murder). Description: a label is placed on an individual because of an observed or presumed behaviour or characteristic.