Final Exam Review
There are about 80 questions. Not cumulative, though I expect you to remember the basic
vocabulary we’ve built along the way. Use of a dictionary is allowed. There won’t be any
questions on the case studies in each chapter. Remember to study the manual as well as
the readings and textbook.
1--what are some cultural universals of what people find attractive?
- symmetrical, healthy,
2--What is James Randi’s contest?
- 1million dollars if you can prove you have a magic ability
- all the people who try it always make excuses when it doesn’t work
3--what are some of the major drugs for treating mental illnesses?
- SSRI’s(anti-depressants), anti-psychotic
4--why do we have unusual feelings about the handicapped (according to Katz)?
- reminds us of our own mortality and vulnerability
5--what is secondary deviance? tertiary?
- deviance that stems from being stigmatized
- tertiary: accepting a label and rebelling against it
6--what % of people are gay? What did Kinsey say?
- 2.8% for males
-1.4% for women
- Kinsey thought the book percentage was 1- however his study was not a random sample
7--what are the main perspectives used to study sex work?
- feminist (radical in particular)
- functionalist( fallen out of fashion)
8--What are Wheeler’s factors for identifying sex acts?
- who what where when how
9--What is de-institutionalization?
- kicking people out of mental asylums, putting them on anti-psychotic drugs and sending
them on their way
10--What did I say might have caused Salem witchcraze?
- food poisioning(urgot poisoning)
- religious depression may have been a factor
11--Give an example of cognitive deviance.
- conspiracy theories
12--how might women and men be treated differently for mental health?
- women are more inferior than men
- women didn’t need to be more sane
- men had higher standards 13--what was the Rosenhan study?
- put normal people in the insane ward and watched how long it took them to get out
14--What correlations is there between SES and mental illness?
- inverse correlation(negative) between SES and mental illness
- higher the class, the less likely they are to be mentally ill
15--what is the drift hypothesis for SES and mental disorders?
- if you develop a mental illness you are likely to drift down the SES ladder
16--What did Thomas Scheff say was the cause of mental illness?
- he said it was caused by labelling
17—When is the exam?
18--How are suicide rates different for men and women?
- women have higher rates of attempted suicide
- men have higher rates of completed suicide
19--What was something feminist Wendy McElroy said about pornography? What
perspective does she represent?
- can be considered good for women
- apart of free expression
- civil libertarian – everyone should be able to make their own decision
20 What type of drug treats schizophrenia? Mood disorders? Bi-polar?
- mood stablelizers
21--Why is magic and faith called the supernatural?
- different from things that are scientific or imperical because they have never been
- there is no imperical evidence for God
- cant have faith and proof at the same time
22--What paradigm says etiology is served by epidemiology? (essentialism or social
- you can find out the cause of things
23--What are contingencies?
- they effect labeling
24--What is voluntary guilt (stigma) by association?
- showing that we associate with deviant people
25--What is an example of a sexual fetish? A paraphilia?
- certain things that turn people on
- leather etc
26--In America, how many women die from eating disorders, according to Naomi Wolf?
What is a better estimate?
- 82 000
27--What is “elective affinity?”
- if youre rich you want a beliefe system that says rich is a good thing, if poor believe
poor shall inherit each. between life position and beliefs who said it? 28--Why did Fielder say we were bothered by freaks?
- primordial childhood experieces, children cateforizing things neatly, experience things
growing up causing them to
29--What were the two approaches used to study prostitution in Thailand?
- one group looking at the people involved(emic)
- the other looking at the actions from the outside(edic)
30--What groups are more likely to believe in “Intelligent Design?” than natural
- republican, or religious
- religious people are much more likely to have an intelligient design
31--What is the difference between a crank and a curmudgeon?
- crank is someone outside the profession that wants to obliterate the scientific paradigms
and start from scratch with own (majority are men)
- other one, inside the sci profession whos gone obsolete and refuses to change
32--What operation was once performed on women to treat hysteria?
33--What are parapsychologists?
- study the paranormal
- assume that it exists and uses jorunals and studies without the actual content of science
34--What do evolutionary psychologists say about sex? Attractiveness? Adultery?
- all species attempt to pass on their genes
35--Which is polygenetic, primary or secondary deviance?
36--How do people who believe in the paranormal/supernatural defend their beliefs?
- they make excuses
- surpress languages and employ logical fallacies of various kinds
37--What is a myth about the Spanish Inquisition? Who were they really targeting?
- sometimes had a bad wrap
- they often get accused of looking for witches and burning women alive
- looking for conversos and hertex’s instead
- looking for false converses
38--What are some of the ways we feel about the disabled/handicapped?
- we think that we are better than them but we feel sorry for them at the same time
39--What is an honour killing?
- the killing of a relative that has brought dishonor to a family
- usually against women
- or gay
- or dating someone of the wrong ethnic group of cast
40--What are some of the reasons given for female circumcision?
- preventing the clit from growing into a dick
- all of those are wrong
- enhances female fertility – OPPOSITE ACTUALLY IDIOTS 41—What two churches performs gay marriage?
- united church
42—Where is Female Genital Mutilation most commonly practiced?
- east african
43--the gay rights parade started as an example of what kind of deviance?