Department
Statistics
Course Code
STAT 3100
Professor
Jeremy Balka
Study Guide
Midterm

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 22 pages of the document.
STAT*3100 F14
Midterm Review Questions
1 Counting Rules
1. A certain long drive champion carries 4 different drivers, 8 types of ball, and 5
different types of tee. How many different equipment choices can they make for
any one drive?
2. A tourist is about to take a cab to dinner then go to a show. They have a choice
of 3 different cab companies, 8 different restaurants, and 3 different shows. How
many different ways can they go about their evening?
3. A multiple choice test contains 25 multiple choice questions and 10 True/False
questions. 15 of the multiple choice questions have 5 answer options, and 10 have
4 answer options. How many different ways are there of the student answering the
35 questions on this test?
4. In a bingo game, there are 75 numbers balls (numbered 1–75), and balls are drawn
without replacement until participants win all of the prizes.
(a) How many different ways are there of choosing the first 4 balls:
i. If we consider the order they are drawn important?
ii. If we do not consider the order they are drawn important?
(b) What is the probability the first 5 balls contain the balls numbered 2 and 3?
(c) How many ways are there of dividing the balls into 5 different groups of equal
size?
5. A class of 60 students is scheduled to write a midterm exam. They will be assigned
to write in 3 classrooms, one with 15 students, one with 20 students, and one with
25 students. How many different ways are there of assigning these students to the
rooms?
6. A class of 60 students is scheduled to write a midterm exam in which there are
two versions (yellow and white). How many different ways can the 60 students be
assigned to the different versions?
7. In the game of bridge, the cards in a 52 card deck are distributed randomly to 4
players (13 to each player).
(a) How many different ways are there to deal out the 4 hands (the order in which
each person receives their cards is not important.)
(b) How many different ways are there to deal out the 4 hands (the order in which
each person receives their cards is not important.)
(c) What is the probability that all 4 players get dealt 13 card hands that are all
of the same suit?
(d) Joe is playing bridge with friends. What is the probability that his 13 card
hand contains 3 sets of four of a kind?
8. Twenty friends are about to take a car trip in 4 rental cars. Paul, Sandy, Laela,
and Lilly will drive. Joe and Sally refuse to drive with Sandy, and George must
go in Lilly’s car. How many different ways can the 20 friends be assigned to the
different cars?
9. Eight friends are about to have dinner at a round table. Aahil and Pete refuse to
sit next to Joan. How many different ways can the 8 friends be arranged around
the table, if only their relative position in of importance?
(a) How many different ways can the 8 friends be arranged around the table, if
only their relative position in of importance?
(b) Aahil and Pete refuse to sit next to Joan. How many different ways can the
friends be arranged around the table?
10. How many different “words” (orderings of the letters) are possible for the letters in
the word version:
(a) If all the letters must be used (each letter must be used once and only once).
(b) If only 3 of the letters will be used (only 3 letter words are created).
(c) If the words can be of any length (the words can be from 1–7 letters long).
11. How many different “words” (orderings of the letters) are possible for the letters in
the word classrooms:
(a) If all the letters must be used.
(b) If only 3 of the letters will be used.
(c) If all the letters must be used and the words must start with cl and end with
om.
12. (a) What is the coefficient of x3y5in the expansion of (x+y)8?
(b) What is the coefficient of x3y5z8in the expansion of (x+y+z)16?
(c) What is the coefficient of x3
1x8
2x2
3x9
4in the expansion of (x1+x2+x3+x4)22?
13. Show that:
(a) n
r=n
nr
(b) nn1
k1=kn
k
(c) n
r=n
nrn1
r
14. Prove the following identities. (Hint: Use the binomial theorem.)
(a)
n
X
r=0 n
r= 2n
(b)
n
X
r=0
(1)rn
r= 0
15. True or false:
(a) If k > r then n
k>n
r.
(b) If k > r then n
k<n
r.
(c) nPrnCr
(d) n
n=n
(e) nPn=nP0
2 Probability
16. What is the relative frequency interpretation of probability?
17. Suppose we are about to draw 3 cards without replacement from a standard 52
card deck.
(a) Give a listing of the elements of an appropriate sample space for this experi-
ment.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
STAT*3100 F14 Midterm Review Questions 1 Counting Rules 1. A certain long drive champion carries 4 dierent drivers, 8 types of ball, and 5 dierent types of tee. How many dierent equipment choices can they make for any one drive? 2. A tourist is about to take a cab to dinner then go to a show. They have a choice of 3 dierent cab companies, 8 dierent restaurants, and 3 dierent shows. How many dierent ways can they go about their evening? 3. A multiple choice test contains 25 multiple choice questions and 10 TrueFalse questions. 15 of the multiple choice questions have 5 answer options, and 10 have 4 answer options. How many dierent ways are there of the student answering the 35 questions on this test? 4. In a bingo game, there are 75 numbers balls (numbered 175), and balls are drawn without replacement until participants win all of the prizes. (a) How many dierent ways are there of choosing the rst 4 balls: i. If we consider the order they are drawn important? ii. If we do not consider the order they are drawn important? (b) What is the probability the rst 5 balls contain the balls numbered 2 and 3? (c) How many ways are there of dividing the balls into 5 dierent groups of equal size? 5. A class of 60 students is scheduled to write a midterm exam. They will be assigned to write in 3 classrooms, one with 15 students, one with 20 students, and one with 25 students. How many dierent ways are there of assigning these students to the rooms? 1 6. A class of 60 students is scheduled to write a midterm exam in which there are two versions (yellow and white). How many dierent ways can the 60 students be assigned to the dierent versions? 7. In the game of bridge, the cards in a 52 card deck are distributed randomly to 4 players (13 to each player). (a) How many dierent ways are there to deal out the 4 hands (the order in which each person receives their cards is not important.) (b) How many dierent ways are there to deal out the 4 hands (the order in which each person receives their cards is not important.) (c) What is the probability that all 4 players get dealt 13 card hands that are all of the same suit? (d) Joe is playing bridge with friends. What is the probability that his 13 card hand contains 3 sets of four of a kind? 8. Twenty friends are about to take a car trip in 4 rental cars. Paul, Sandy, Laela, and Lilly will drive. Joe and Sally refuse to drive with Sandy, and George must go in Lillys car. How many dierent ways can the 20 friends be assigned to the dierent cars? 9. Eight friends are about to have dinner at a round table. Aahil and Pete refuse to sit next to Joan. How many dierent ways can the 8 friends be arranged around the table, if only their relative position in of importance? (a) How many dierent ways can the 8 friends be arranged around the table, if only their relative position in of importance? (b) Aahil and Pete refuse to sit next to Joan. How many dierent ways can the friends be arranged around the table? 10. How many dierent words (orderings of the letters) are possible for the letters in the word version: (a) If all the letters must be used (each letter must be used once and only once). (b) If only 3 of the letters will be used (only 3 letter words are created). (c) If the words can be of any length (the words can be from 17 letters long). 11. How many dierent words (orderings of the letters) are possible for the letters in the word classrooms: (a) If all the letters must be used. (b) If only 3 of the letters will be used.
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit