BIOL 224 Quiz: Biology 224 Lab Quiz #1 Flashcards

4 Pages

Department
Biology
Course Code
BIOL 224
Professor
Tracy Marchant

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Lab #1: Q: Why does pulse amplitude spike momentarily when ice is removed from arm? A: The body tries to compensate for loss of blood flow when the ice is placed on the arm Q: why does pulse amplitude increase as ice is removed from arm? A: As ice is removed, blood vessels dilate, which results in an increase in pulse amplitude Q: Why does pulse amplitude decrease when ice is placed on the arm? A: When ice is added to the arm, blood vessels decrease in size, causing a decrease in pulse amplitude Q: Crickets are _________ that are dependent upon external sources for body heat. A: Ectotherms Q: What causes ventricles to contract? A: Depolarization of the myocardial cells in the ventricles Q: What do we use to measure the pulses of blood moving through the arteries? A: Plethysmograph Q: Located within the ______ there are specialized sensory receptors that are sensitive to changes in temperature. A: Dermis Q: Once activated, these peripheral thermoreceptors send signals to the ____________ that in turn causes a physiological change that includes an alteration in blood flow. A: Hypothalamus Q: The volume of blood traveling through arteries can be increased or decreased by... A: Altering the diameter of the arteries Q: When arteries located in peripheral tissues undergo __________there is less blood supplied to the tissue and a decrease in pulse amplitude is observed as a result of the decrease in peripheral blood flow. A: Vasoconstriction Q: _________ of peripheral arteries results in an increase in peripheral blood flow and an increase in the amount of blood supplied to those tissues. A: Vasodilation Q: The x axis represents the ______ variable and the y axis represents the _______ variable A: x = Independent y = Dependent Lab #2: Q: Stimulus from inner or outer environment is detected by the sensory receptors, or ________, which then sent this information to the ________. A: Neurons; Central Nervous System Q: Nervous system integration can be defined as... A: The generation of a motor output based on the sum of the sensory inputs. Q: Reaction time is… A: The time from the start of a signal to the response Q: The factors that affect reaction time are… A: Signal complexity, duration and strength Q: there are three ways in which the sensory system stimulated affects reaction time... A: 1) there are differences in afferent conduction times between sensory systems. 2) some sensory systems can change instantly while others change more slowly. 3) certain sensory systems are more sensitive. Reactions are voluntary responses that can be modified through learning. Q: Visual-Motor Learning is described as… A: The process of increasing accuracy, speed and coordination of tasks involving eye-hand coordination the more often we perform them Q: What does the SEM do? A: Lets us know how much the reaction time varies amongst students Q: How do prism goggles im
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit