Sociology (27)
SOC 227 (2)

Midterm #1 Review Criminology

64 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Saskatchewan
SOC 227
Adie Nelson

CRIMINOLOGY: LECTURE ONE: Topic: Public fascination with crime in general and violent crime in particular Statistics Canadas Time-Use Survey: Most Common Leisure-time Activity of Canadians McLuhan: television could be referred to as offering the first curriculum for young Canadians Free time = Prime Time Culture Statistics Programs Television Project: average hours of viewing: 22 hrs. per week What are we watching? Informa Telecoms & Media survey (2006): study of ratings in 20 countries Most watched program: CSI: Miami #6: CSI (Las Vegas) #7: Without a Trace 10 Most Watched TV programs in Canada July 28-August 3/08: Top 10 Criminal Minds NCIS CSI: Miami CSI July 11, 2008: debut episode of Flashpoint (elite emergency response police unit): most-watched show in both Canada and the US (1 million & 8 million viewers, respectively) 2004: 2. CSI 3. CSI: New York 4. CSI: Miami 8. Law and Order: SVU 9. Law and Order: Criminal Intent 10. Law and Order (Sept 2/02 - Aug. 31/03): CSI 5. CSI Miami 8. Law and Order (Sept. 3/01 - Aug.18/02): CSI 3. Law and Order: Criminal Intent 5. Law and Order: Special Victims Unit 8. The Sopranos 1950s: CBC RCMP 1970s -1980s: Scales of Justice; Seeing Things; This Is The Law Currently? 1 Alias; American Justice; Americas Most Wanted; America Fights Back; Behind The Badge; Blue Murder; Body of Evidence: Crossing Jordan; From the Case Files of Dayle Hinman; Brooklyn South; Celebrity Justice; City Confidential; Cold Case; Cold Case Files; Cold Squad; Columbo; COPS; Crime & Punishment; Crime Story; Crossing Jordan; C.S.I.; CSI: Miami; CSI: New York; Dalziel and Pascoe; Dalziel and Pascoe; Da Vincis Inquest; Diagnosis Murder; Disaster Detectives; Dog/Bounty Hunter; Dominic Dunnes Power, Privilege and Justice; Dragnet; Exhibit A: Secrets of Forensic Science; FBI Files; Flashpoint; Forensic Evidence; Forensic Files; Hawaii; Homicide: Life on the Street; I, Detective; In The Jury Room; In the Mind of Criminal Profilers; Inspector Linley Inspector Morse; IR: Cold Case Files; Judge Greg Mathis; Judge Hatchett; Judge Judy; Judge Joe Brown; Judging Amy; Kavanagh Q.C.; Knight Rider; Large Winch Blast From the Past; Law and Order; Law and Order: Special Victims Unit; Law and Order: Criminal Intent; Lloyd and Hill; Manhunt; Medical Detectives; MI-5; Miami Morgue, Monk; Murder She Wrote; Mystery Ink; NCIS; Neon Rider; NYPD Blue; Peoples Court; Poirot; Prime Suspect; Profiler; Quincey, M.E.; Rockford Files; Rumpole of the Bailey; Scotland Yard: Tales From The Black Museum; Secrets of Forensic Science; Sherlock Holmes; Sue Thomas, F.B. Eye; Texas Justice; The District; The Docket; The First 48; The Great Detective; The John Walsh Show; The Practice; The Shield; The Sopranos; The System; To Serve and Protect; Third Watch; Trace Evidence: The Case Files of Dr. Henry Lee; Truth, Duty, Valour; Unsolved Mysteries; V.I.P.; Walker, Texas Ranger; Wanted Dead Or Alive; Without A Trace Problems: U.S.: prosecutors have blamed CSI effect for cases being dismissed or the accused acquitted when there is a lack of forensic evidence presented in court. Survey conducted in Maricopa County, Arizona: jurors indicated disappointment when there was a lack of forensic evidence at the trial they sat on ~75% expected scientific evidence One episode of CSI: ~$3 million to produce (equal to annual budget of a real lab) Study by criminologist Jean-Paul Brodeur of 153 homicides committed in Montreal between 1990-2001: o forensic evidence used in only 0.7% of cases o *22.5% cases: use eyewitness accounts o *20.5% cases: spontaneous confession Quebec provincial police forensic scientist Alexandre Beaudoin (invented application for a solution used to lift fingerprints off wet paper) - opinions that 99% of what you see [on CSI] is real but its so extreme, you couldnt do it in real life *Misleading impression of how criminal/forensic investigations really take place: processing paper Canadian auditor generals report: crime lab work takes between 80-188 days *To accurately portray crime scene work: showing backlogs and waiting around for results - Investigation process is more like The Office than CSI Books: Amazon Books (Sept. 2010): 2 N=425,692 crime N= 27,465 robbers N=303,998 criminals N= 17,859 serial killers N= 145,468 true crime N= 17,802 rapists N=89,518 detectives N= 4,441 serial rapists N= 84,306 murder Ottawa N= 3,440 child molesters N= 34,139 mass murderers N= 441 necrophiliac killers Some titles: Unequal Justice: The Central Park Jogger Trials Getting Away With Murder Theyre Going To Kill My Son Who Killed My Daughter? Who Killed My Wife? My Husbands Trying To Kill Me Step Into My Parlour Evil Harvest Alone With the Devil The Devil in the White City Devils Knot Angels of Darkness Angels of Death Blood Rush Race Against Evil Garden of Graves Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil Unholy Covenant Unholy Messenger An Early Grave Journey into Darkness House of Evil Cruel Sacrifice One Deadly Night Without Pity A Descent into Hell: the True Story of an Altar Boy, a Cheerleader and a Twisted Texas Murder X-Rated Lethal Lolita Lust Killer Slave Girls The Sex Slave Murders Blind Passion Poisoned Love Fatal Romance Final Affair Deadly Seduction To Love, Honour and Kill 3 Love Me To Death Women Who Love Men Who Kill Dream Lovers: Women Who Marry Men Behind Bars Prison Groupies Till Death Us Do Part Every Womans Nightmare First, Well Kill My Husband A Wifes Revenge Deadly Mistress: A True Story of Marriage, Betrayal and Murder Small Sacrifices Sleep, My Child, Forever Whatever Mother Says: A True Story of a Mother, Murder and Madness No Daddy, Dont! By Their Fathers Hand Murder So Cold: A Fathers Deadly Rage, a Daughters Tragic Legacy Die, my Love: A True Story of Revenge, Murder and Two Texas Sisters Such Good Boys: The True Story of a Mother, Two Sons and a Horrifying Murder Mamas Boy: The True Story of a Serial Killer and His Mother But He Was Good To His Mother: The Lives and Crimes of Jewish Gangsters Die, Grandpa, Die Piano Teacher Doctors of Death Nurses Who Kill Babyface Killers Vampire Killers Cannibal Killers Harold Schechter Fatal: The Poisonous Life of a Female Serial Killer Fiend Depraved Deranged: The Shocking True Story of the Original Psycho Encyclopaedia of Murder The Encyclopaedia of Serial Killers The Encyclopaedia of World Crime 57 Unsolved Murders With Reward Information Instant Books Internet alt.Homolka alt.Bernardo 4
More Less

Related notes for SOC 227

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.