AFM273 Study Guide - Fall 2018, Comprehensive Midterm Notes - Net Present Value, Interest Rate, Exchange Rate

86 views17 pages
AFM273
MIDTERM EXAM
STUDY GUIDE
Fall 2018
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 17 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Unlock document

Benefits and Costs
Corporate financial decisions assessed in terms of costs and benefits
Complications due to costs and benefits occurring at different times, currencies, risks
Involve expertise from other management disciplines (strategy, operations, marketing, etc.)
o Assume the contributions from other disciplines have already been completed to
determine potential costs and benefits
o Fiaial aager’s task is maximizing the value if the firm by making the best decision
given these possible costs and benefits
Valuation Principle
Competitive market for a good is a market in which that can be bought and sold for the same
price
o A good’s prie deteries its orth
Valuation principle: the value of an asset to the firm or its investors is determined by its
competitive market price. The costs and benefits of a decision should be evaluated using these
market prices, and when the value of the benefits exceeds the value of the costs, the decision
will increase the market value of the firm.
Non-Competitive Market Prices
Can not value decisions without accounting for preferences or views of the decision-maker
E.g. price of a good at a retail store is one-sided: you can buy the good for its stated price, but
ou a’t sell it to the store for that prie
o Stated price deteries the good’s aiu alue, sie ou a u it for that prie
o However, you might value it for less depending on your preferences
Interest Rates
Almost all decisions involve costs and benefits that occur at different points in time
Interest rate acts as an exchange rate across time
The risk-free interest rate for a given period, rf, is the interest rate at which money can be
borrowed or lent over that period without risk
o We can exchange $1 today for $(1+ rf) after one period, or we can convert one period
from now into $1/(1+ rf). What is the value of the investment today? One year from
now?
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

Net Present Value
Present value (PV) of a cost or benefit is its value in terms of money today
Net present value (NPV) of a project of investment is
o NPV = PV(Benefits) PV(Costs)
NPV represents the value in terms of money today
o NPV>0, makes the firm richer today
o NPV<0, makes the firm poorer today
NPV Decision Rule: Choose the decision with the highest NPV. Choosing this alternative is
equivalent to receiving its NPV in cash today
First Separation Principle
Separatio of the idividual’s cosuptio prefereces fro optial ivestet decisio
o Regardless of our consumption preferences that dictate whether we prefer cash today
vs cash in the future, we should always maximize NPV first. We can then borrow or lend
to shift cash flows through time to match out most preferred consumption spending
pattern through time. In effect, our preferences regarding consumption spending
through time are separate from out optimal investment decision
Arbitrage and the Law of One Price
Arbitrage buying and selling equivalent goods to take advantage of a price difference
o Arbitrage opportunity is a situation where it is possible to make a risk-free profit
without making any iestet free luh
As investors try to profit from an arbitrage opportunity, prices will respond quickly, eliminating
the opportunity
A normal market is a competitive market in which there are no arbitrage opportunities
o Or they are so fast it is impossible to exploit them
Law of One Price: if equivalent investment opportunities trade simultaneously in different
competitive markets, then they must trade for the same price in both markets
Unlock document

Document Summary

Benefits and costs: corporate financial decisions assessed in terms of costs and benefits, complications due to costs and benefits occurring at different times, currencies, risks. The costs and benefits of a decision should be evaluated using these market prices, and when the value of the benefits exceeds the value of the costs, the decision will increase the market value of the firm. Interest rates: almost all decisions involve costs and benefits that occur at different points in time, the risk-free interest rate for a given period, rf, is the interest rate at which money can be. Choosing this alternative is equivalent to receiving its npv in cash today. First separation principle: separatio(cid:374) of the i(cid:374)dividual"s co(cid:374)su(cid:373)ptio(cid:374) prefere(cid:374)ces fro(cid:373) opti(cid:373)al i(cid:374)vest(cid:373)e(cid:374)t decisio(cid:374, regardless of our consumption preferences that dictate whether we prefer cash today vs cash in the future, we should always maximize npv first.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers