AFM280 Study Guide - Spring 2018, Comprehensive Midterm Notes - Job Performance, Organizational Commitment, Job Satisfaction

83 views149 pages
AFM280
MIDTERM EXAM
STUDY GUIDE
Fall 2018
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 149 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Unlock document

Reflection 1- How culture differs between different workplaces
In the video one of the alumnus, Chester Dawes who currently works at Manulife Asset
Management mentioned how he has been to a various of workplaces across the world and has
experienced many different workplace cultures. Within each culture, there are unique ways to
approach the people and utilize people skills to get into a favorable position with the company
ad its orkers. He has leared that hat orked for hi i North Aeria did’t eessaril
work in Europe or Asia. For example, the culture in Singapore is that one can leave a job and
find another one by lunch. The differences in workplace culture made me relate to an issue that
I’e persoall eoutered durig  ork ter, ad I’d ish I hae hadled it etter. Oe of
my co-workers in my workplace previously worked in China and thus has brought some of that
Chinese culture to the environment. One day when we scheduled a meeting, she came late and
was very apologetic about it. After the meeting, she insisted on buying me lunch which I politely
refused eause It as’t a ig deal to e the fat that she as’t putual. Fro that poit
o, she ega to distae herself fro e ad spoke less ad less eer da. Ee though I’e
tried to reach out to her, she would brush me away gently in an avoidance way. I was sincerely
confused about the situation, and I wanted to know the reasons. One day after work, I
approached her and had an honest talk with her to see the reasons for her recent behavior. She
then told me it was because of that time I refused her offer to treat e to luh. I ish I’e said
yes to her the other day or have thoroughly explained why it was okay for me to refuse.
The issue lied in the fact that it is the norm to spend money on other people for little
things in China. It is also the norm to accept the offer from other people when they want to
spend money on you. The reason for it is because, in China, money builds relationships. For
example, there are a lot of under the table transactions or sending gift behind the scenes to
pleasure your co-workers or higher-ups. For e to refuse her offer, ade it see like I did’t
accept her apology and treated her as someone distant which was how I felt she was treating
me. Talk about irony. I wish I had this knowledge to help me better understand the situation
istead of guessig aout hat et rog i our friedship. I ould’e hadled the situatio
a etter. For her side, I ish she ke that i North Aeria, e do’t alas hae to
spend money to show our appreciation of others or build our relationships through it. Although
giftig oasioall shos a perso’s thoughtfuless, it does’t hae to e a eerda
ourree. Although she should’e adapted to our ultures here i North Aeria, I should’e
done a better job of anticipating these kinds of problems with her. After my refusal of her offer,
I should’e thoroughl eplaied the reaso h I’ refusig it. Lettig her ko that I
appreiate her thoughts ad although I’ refusig her offer, it does’t ea I’ ot forgiig
her and keeping a grudge against her. Like Chester said, I must learn to be receptive of how I
am being received so I can adapt or at least understand the potential issues. In my case, I was
viewed as a cold person when I was being nice by not wanting to spend her money. The bottom
line is, always reflect who my audience is and how to approach them.
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

Reflection 2- Type Focus: Extroversion
After taking the personality self-assessment test, most of my surrounding peers received
results between the four dimensions there were not strong in fluctuation. My results, however,
were skewed for the extroversion dimension. It is not a surprise because I’e alas osidered
myself an extrovert. Before I proceed, I want to clarify that what I say may not reflect everyone,
it’s oluded solel fro  persoal eperiees.
Some characteristics that my fellow extroverted friends and I share are the ability to
make friends quickly in different circumstances and situations. We are extremely sociable and
a ouiate ith stragers ithout feelig akard or iitated. It’s personally easy to be
ope aout self, ad talk aout life to people that I’e just et. It speeds up the proess of
akig frieds eause he other people see that I’ ofortale ith the, the’ll
reciprocate back. Being around others make me feel excited ad eergeti. If I’ ot tasked
with the responsibilities to read textbooks, take notes, and participate in school events, I would
probably go out daily with different people to explore and try new things. Partying, dancing,
and eating out with a huge group of friends are some of my most favorite things to do. The
bottom line is, being an extrovert make me feel free, relaxed, and confident.
On the other hand, introverted friends are more likely to stay quiet in a social
environment and would like having one-on-one conversations. Some of them would stay
together as a group, so individually, no one would be isolated and feel uncomfortable. Although
itroerts are sh i puli, if ou reah out to the eough, the’ll reat ofortal ak ad
may become one of your closest and treasured friends. From my observations, introverts are
willing to try new things only when they have the company of their buddies.
I a ork settig, I rig the eerg ad fu to  olleagues. I’d iterat ith the
frequently throughout a day by means of jokes or stories to keep them entertained and
positive. Being an extrovert makes it easy for me to communicate with others such as
conveying an idea, setting up goals, and scheduling meetings. It also helps others when I
directly provide accurate feedback to hit certain points. Of course, I would butter them up first
to make them feel accomplished and then discuss the possible improvements for an even
better performance in the future. It empowers everyone to work harder and smart to find the
est a to ehae their persoal groth. Furtherore, I’d tr  est to e ilusie so o
one would feel left out. This help motivates people that would otherwise feel discouraged to
work.
One of our limitations as extroverts is being insensitive at times and not realizing it. It
happens because of our carefree, relaxed, and open-minded nature. Some things that I say or
do ight offed others, ut I ould’t realize it eause if the sae thigs ere said or doe to
e, I ould’t e hurt at all. It comes down to how different people interpret and see things in
different perspectives. The best fix to this issue is to think before I act. Although extroverts are
hyper and would just sprout out words without consideration, let’s take it slower and operate
at a slower pace.
Unlock document

Document Summary

Reflection 1- how culture differs between different workplaces. In the video one of the alumnus, chester dawes who currently works at manulife asset. Management mentioned how he has been to a various of workplaces across the world and has experienced many different workplace cultures. Within each culture, there are unique ways to approach the people and utilize people skills to get into a favorable position with the company a(cid:374)d its (cid:449)orkers. He has lear(cid:374)ed that (cid:449)hat (cid:449)orked for hi(cid:373) i(cid:374) north a(cid:373)eri(cid:272)a(cid:374) did(cid:374)"t (cid:374)e(cid:272)essaril(cid:455) work in europe or asia. For example, the culture in singapore is that one can leave a job and find another one by lunch. The differences in workplace culture made me relate to an issue that. I"(cid:448)e perso(cid:374)all(cid:455) e(cid:374)(cid:272)ou(cid:374)tered duri(cid:374)g (cid:373)(cid:455) (cid:449)ork ter(cid:373), a(cid:374)d i"d (cid:449)ish i ha(cid:448)e ha(cid:374)dled it (cid:271)etter. O(cid:374)e of my co-workers in my workplace previously worked in china and thus has brought some of that.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers