BIOL 150- Midterm Exam Guide - Comprehensive Notes for the exam ( 12 pages long!)

148 views12 pages

Document Summary

Ecology science that studies organisms interacting with their environment. Environmentalism activism focused on protecting the natural environment, particularly from the impacts of human activities. Environment (cid:272)o(cid:374)sists of all the exter(cid:374)al fa(cid:272)tors that i(cid:374)flue(cid:374)(cid:272)e a(cid:374) orga(cid:374)is(cid:373)"s sur(cid:448)i(cid:448)al, gro(cid:449)th and or reproduction. Ecosystem the biotic community and its abiotic environment. Conditions only influence an organism but not consumed. Hazards includes factors that can only affect an organism negatively if they are present. Organisms can compete for resources but not conditions. Conditions can indirectly affect competition by altering availability of a resource. Population group of individuals of the same species occupying a given area at a given time. Community all populations of all species living and interacting within an eco-system. Landscape area of land composed of a patchwork of ecosystem. Biome broad-scale regions in which the landscape is dominated by similar ecosystems. Biosphere the (cid:374)arro(cid:449) i(cid:374)terfa(cid:272)e at earth"s surfa(cid:272)e that (cid:272)o(cid:374)tai(cid:374)s a(cid:374)d supports life.