Unit 5 – Heart, Blood & Blood Vessels, and Lymphatic System
The Circulatory System
1. What are the 3 components of the cardiovascular system, the 2 components of the
lymphatic system, and what is the general name for both of these systems combined?
2. What are the components of blood?
3. What is the main protein of erythrocytes, and what percentage of blood do erythrocytes
4. What is it called when leukocytes leave blood vessels?
5. Where do all blood cells originate, and how long does each of the three types live?
6. What are the two groups of white blood cells, and which cells are in which categories?
7. What is the name of the larger cell from which platelets are formed? What is another
name for platelets?
8. What are the two types of bone marrow, and what is present in each?
9. What are: anemia, sickle cell disease, leukemia, and thrombocytopenia?
10. What type of blood is sent through each of the circuits in the heart?
11.What are the 3 layers of the pericardium surrounding the heart?
12. At which costal cartilage are the following located: superior right and left points
of the heart, and the inferior right and left points of the heart.
13. What are the three layers of the wall of the heart?
14. From what three veins does the right atrium receive blood, and is it oxygenrich
or oxygenpoor blood?
15. From what veins does the left atrium receive blood, and is it oxygenrich or
16. From where does the right ventricle receive blood, and through what artery does it
pump blood to the pulmonary circuit?
17. Which chambers of the heart contain trabeculae carnae? Which contain pectinate
18. What are 2 functions of the fibrous skeleton of the heart?
19. Do ventricles or atria have thicker walls?