Premium

26 Pages

Department
Biology
Course Code
BIOL444
Professor
Christine Dupont

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 26 pages of the document.
BIOL 444 Midterm
Lecture 1
Medical microbiology:
- did’t thik that disease ae fro iroes – air, water
- epidemics happen when it got warm b/c mosquitos but they thought it came from the
air b/c it was smelly
- Pasteur said disease comes from microbes
- microbially caused diseases have influenced history: Black death, smallpox, AIDS
- typhus caused by intracellular parasite spread by body lice in the trenches fever
*Do’t eorize iroial disease o ar tale*
Lecture 2
Epidemic: more people that get the disease than you would normally expect
Pandemic: large scale swine flu, international, covers large areas of the globe
- does’t eessaril kill ore people tha oral though
Disease often blamed on the gods: some people are immune, some people get it and
survive
- was a good way of saying how some people were chosen by the gods
Hippocrates: believed in balance, said disease comes from within
- 4 humors: phlegm (lungs, brain), blood (liver), black bile (spleen), yellow bile (gall
bladder)
- its all about balance
- removed blood by leaches
Jeer: ade a aie ut did’t ko hat he as akig it agaist, Ger theor
had’t ee oe out et
- so did Pasteur
Pasteur: Germ theory
- disease, food spoilage
- microbes responsible
- logical
- rabies vaccine
Koch: worked a lot with anthrax, used his postulates to show that the anthrax bacteria is
the cause of anthrax
1. Microbe present in every case but absent in healthy
o We all carry pathogens and might not exhibit any symptoms
o Works well for some organisms primary pathogens
o Step throat can stay with you forever
2. Microbe isolated from host and grown in pure culture
o Only 1% of bacteria can be cultured
o ot et ulturale
find more resources at oneclass.com
o intracellular parasites mycobacterium leprae, chlamydia, T. pallidum,
viruses
o toxins
3. Pure culture must produce same disease in new host
o Ethical concerns
o Warren and Marshall linked H. pylori to stomach cancer and ulcers
4. Same microbe must be re-isolated in pure culture
o Disease is’t alas just related to the presee of the irobe
- tr to use the postulates for eer disease ut it does’t alas ork
Infection: successful colonization of the body by a microbe capable of causing damage
to the host
- colonization: not always infection
Disease: change in normal heath to an abnormal state where health is diminished
- clinical symptoms: not measurable but observable
- clinical signs: measurable or observable
- pneumonia is the disease but the organism can be anything
Pathogen: routinely causing disease
- obligate pathogen: when infected, you will get an infection
- opportunistic: in our surroundings, only causes disease under certain conditions open
wounds
o P. aeruginosa in cystic fibrosis patients
o Enterococcus
Secondary infection: occurs b/c of another infection
Nosocomial infection: hospital infection health care associated infection
Purulent: pus dead neutrophils
- pyogenic strains cause pus Strep pyrogenes
Pyrogenic strain: fever causing
- fever happens b/c increasing bodies temp to stop the bacterial enzymes in the microbe
Pathogenicity: ability of microbe to cause disease
Virulence: intensity of disease rabies is 100% mortality, variola virus is only 50%
mortality
Virulence factor: product of microbe that enhances pathogenicity
- prove inoculate with toxin or stop toxin production in microbe CRISPR
- allows it to attach, invade, kill, or damage host
Moleular koh’s postulates:
1. Gene found only in strains that cause disease
2. Gene must be isolated by cloning
3. Disrupt gene to reduce virulence
4. Gene expressed in host during time of infection process
Lecture 3:
Eergig disease: as’t o the radar util reetl, ireasig i prealee lyme
disease
Classic disease: been around for a while, still have them in existence STIs
Re-emerging: diseases making a comeback b/c of antibiotic resistance tuberculosis
Importance of infectious disease:
- Must be a critical mass to allow infectious disease to carry on
- herd
- if only some, disease will die out if all the people do
- can also travel b/w species
- compromised humans are more susceptible to disease
- zoonoses: reservoir is animals rabies, lyme disease
- spillover: comes from animals, and then is transferred to a human where it can be
transmitted
Recent factors influencing disease:
- hygiene
- water and sewage treatment
- improved nutrition
- medical advances
- ireased proportio of pop that’s elderl – immunocompromised
- travel
- human encroachment: humans moving into unpopulated areas where there is lots of
wildlife
Normal microbiota: mostly G+ves, hat ou’d epet
- generally definable community of microbes inhabiting us
- state of continual flux, affected by age, diet, nutrition, hormones, health, environment,
hygiene
- large numbers: GI tract, moist skin, upper respiratory, genitals (Vagina), urinary tract
- areas ith sall uers are’t oloized ut are’t sterile: loer respirator,
stomach, bladder, uterus
- sterile: closed in the body: blood, CSF, synovial fluid, muscles, organs
o Synovial fluid: in your joints
- 50% of the cells in your body are’t our o
Predominant and important microbiota of various sites in healthy person:
Body site
pathogens
commensals
Skin, distal urethra, external
ear, anterior nares
Staphylococcus aureus
Propionibacterium acnes,
diptheroids
(Corynebacterium), S.
epidermis, viridans
streptococci, micrococci,
yeast, G+ve
Nasopharynx
Candida albicans, Strep
pyrogenes
Viridans streptococci,
Neisseria , anaerobes,

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
BIOL 444 Midterm Lecture 1 Medical microbiology: - didnt think that disease came from microbes air, water - epidemics happen when it got warm b/c mosquitos but they thought it came from the air b/c it was smelly - Pasteur said disease comes from microbes - microbially caused diseases have influenced history: Black death, smallpox, AIDS - typhus caused by intracellular parasite spread by body lice in the trenches fever *Dont memorize microbial disease on war table* Lecture 2 Epidemic: more people that get the disease than you would normally expect Pandemic: large scale swine flu, international, covers large areas of the globe - doesnt necessarily kill more people than normal though Disease often blamed on the gods: some people are immune, some people get it and survive - was a good way of saying how some people were chosen by the gods Hippocrates: believed in balance, said disease comes from within - 4 humors: phlegm (lungs, brain), blood (liver), black bile (spleen), yellow bile (gall bladder) - its all about balance - removed blood by leaches Jenner: made a vaccine but didnt know what he was making it against, Germ theory hadnt even come out yet - so did Pasteur Pasteur: Germ theory - disease, food spoilage - microbes responsible - logical - rabies vaccine Koch: worked a lot with anthrax, used his postulates to show that the anthrax bacteria is the cause of anthrax 1. Microbe present in every case but absent in healthy o We all carry pathogens and might not exhibit any symptoms o Works well for some organisms primary pathogens o Step throat can stay with you forever 2. Microbe isolated from host and grown in pure culture o Only 1% of bacteria can be cultured o not yet culturable o intracellular parasites mycobacterium leprae, chlamydia, T. pallidum, viruses o toxins 3. Pure culture must produce same disease in new host o Ethical concerns o Warren and Marshall linked H. pylori to stomach cancer and ulcers 4. Same microbe must be re-isolated in pure culture o Disease isnt always just related to the presence of the microbe - try to use the postulates for every disease but it doesnt always work Infection: successful colonization of the body by a microbe capable of causing damage to the host - colonization: not always infection Disease: change in normal heath to an abnormal state where health is diminished - clinical symptoms: not measurable but observable - clinical signs: measurable or observable - pneumonia is the disease but the organism can be anything Pathogen: routinely causing disease - obligate pathogen: when infected, you will get an infection - opportunistic: in our surroundings, only causes disease under certain conditions open wounds o P. aeruginosa in cystic fibrosis patients o Enterococcus Secondary infection: occurs b/c of another infection Nosocomial infection: hospital infection health care associated infection Purulent: pus dead neutrophils - pyogenic strains cause pus Strep pyrogenes Pyrogenic strain: fever causing - fever happens b/c increasing bodies temp to stop the bacterial enzymes in the microbe Pathogenicity: ability of microbe to cause disease Virulence: intensity of disease rabies is 100% mortality, variola virus is only 50% mortality Virulence factor: product of microbe that enhances pathogenicity - prove inoculate with toxin or stop toxin production in microbe CRISPR - allows it to attach, invade, kill, or damage host Molecular kochs postulates: 1. Gene found only in strains that cause disease 2. Gene must be isolated by cloning 3. Disrupt gene to reduce virulence 4. Gene expressed in host during time of infection process Lecture 3: Emerging disease: wasnt on the radar until recently, increasing in prevalence lyme disease Classic disease: been around for a while, still have them in existence STIs Re-emerging: diseases making a comeback b/c of antibiotic resistance tuberculosis Importance of infectious disease: - Must be a critical mass to allow infectious disease to carry on - herd - if only some, disease will die out if all the people do - can also travel b/w species - compromised humans are more susceptible to disease - zoonoses: reservoir is animals rabies, lyme disease - spillover: comes from animals, and then is transferred to a human where it can be transmitted Recent factors influencing disease: - hygiene - water and sewage treatment - improved nutrition - medical advances - increased proportion of pop thats elderly immunocompromised - travel - human encroachment: humans moving into unpopulated areas where there is lots of wildlife Normal microbiota: mostly G+ves, what youd expect - generally definable community of microbes inhabiting us - state of continual flux, affected by age, diet, nutrition, hormones, health, environment, hygiene - large numbers: GI tract, moist skin, upper respiratory, genitals (Vagina), urinary tract - areas with small numbers arent colonized but arent sterile: lower respiratory, stomach, bladder, uterus - sterile: closed in the body: blood, CSF, synovial fluid, muscles, organs o Synovial fluid: in your joints - 50% of the cells in your body arent your own Predominant and important microbiota of various sites in healthy person: Body site pathogens commensals Skin, distal urethra, external Staphylococcus aureus Propionibacterium acnes, ear, anterior nares diptheroids (Corynebacterium), S. epidermis, viridans streptococci, micrococci, yeast, G+ve Nasopharynx Candida albicans, Strep Viridans streptococci, pyrogenes Neisseria , anaerobes, Corynebacterium, Haemophilus, coagulase ve staph Stomach Helicobacter pylori Transients: Lactobacilli, mouth microbiota Small intestine Clostridia, enterobacteria Lactobacilli, streptococci, bifidobacteria, Bacteroides Colon: When breast-fed None Bacteroides, bifidobacteria, lactobacilli, streptococci After weaning Clostridium dfficile, C. Clostridia, Bacteroides, perfringens, E. coli, Candida bifidobacteria, streptococci, albicans Enterobacteriacea, G-ve Vagina: Prepuberty, postmenopausal Candida albicans Skin and colonic microbiota Childbearing Candida albicans Lactobacilli, viridans streptococci Having bad gut microbiota can add 10-15% more calories Vagina: maintain a certain pH - lactobacilli: produce acid keeps a lot of bacteria out and inhibits Candida albicans Know what colonizes what body parts Role of normal microbiota in body: - metabolism of food products o provide essential growth factors o vitamin K + B o colonic fermentation 10% of our calories o herbivores - normal devo of digestive system: o gnotobiotic animals smooth villi-free intestine o nutrient absorption impaired - protection against infection: o exclusionary effect competition o production of inhibitory substances bacteriocins, acids, antibiotcs - priming of immune system: o gnotobiotic vs normal animal models allergies, autoimmune disease o normal microbiota is training the immune system to react to microorganisms - balance b/w host and normal microbiota: o shifts in populations can cause problems o opportunistic infections - symbiotic, commensal/mutualistic status Lecture 4:
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit