ECE 105 Fall 2012 Course Notes

11 Pages

Department
Electrical and Computer Engineering
Course Code
ECE 105
Professor
Michael Balogh

This preview shows pages 1,2 and half of page 3. Sign up to view the full 11 pages of the document.
Description
ECE 105 - Physics of Electrical Engineering 1 Kevin Carruthers Fall 2012 Forces and Motion Force is a vector, and therefore includes direction. For any vector a, ▯a has the same magnitude but opposite direction. Coordinate Systems Given AB we can ▯nd A or B’s position based on the position of the other one OB= O +AAB ~ for any Oxis the location of x relative to the origin. Components We can break any vector into components by ▯nding the angle between it and the plane we want to model it o▯ of. ▯ Example: for A = [email protected] , we can ▯nd it’s components with relation to the standard x-y plane with A y Acos20 ▯ A x Asin20 ▯ Constant Acceleration a = ▯v ▯t ~ ▯ ~ a = f i ▯t a▯t = vf ▯ ~i ~f= ~i+~ a▯t 1 For the position vector d;d =fd + vi ~i▯t + 1a(▯t) 2 2 2 2 ▯ ▯ vf = v~i+ 2~ a ▯d ~ Relative Motion For any three objects a;b; and c vca= v~cb v~ ba read "the velocity of c with respect to a is equal to the velocity of c with respect to b plus the velocity of b with respect to a. Circular Motion v2 ac= r 4x ▯ ▯ r for very close points. For circle with center O and radius r ;r ::: connected to object on circumferance with velocity 0 v~ ▯v~ ~0;v~1::: tangent to circumferance, a = 1t 0. For arc length between object (at di▯erent times t ;t :::) s, ▯ =s. For small ▯ ▯ 1;jv ~ ▯ v~ j = ▯v: 0 1 r 1 0 jaj = v▯ t a is perpendicular to ~v v = r1▯r0 = r▯ t t ) ~a = v▯ = v2 r~v r s = r▯ ds d▯ = v = r dt dt = r! d▯ ! = dt 2 v a = r (r!) 2 = r 2 = r! Types of Forces A force is a push or pull interaction between two objects, reponsible for changing motion. 2 Springs When unstretched, no spring forces exist. When a string is pushed from equilibrium, its spring force pushes back toward equilibrium. F s ▯k▯x Tension The tension force pulls an object toward a rope and a rope toward an object. Ropes can never push. Normal The normal force "pushes back" against other objects via molecular electromagnetism. It is always perpendicular to the surface for any surface-to-surface contact. Technically, it is a type of spring force. Friction Friction is the interaction between an object and a surface. It is a real force which acts opposite the direction of sliding, and is always tangent to surface. f / N is an experimental fact. f = ▯N, where ▯ is the coe▯cient of friction. ▯ is dependant on the type of objects and must be determined experimentally. Kinetic friction is when objects are sliding relative to each other and static friction is when objects are not yet sliding f s ▯ Ns Example: A 50kg person is in a 1000kg elevator at rest. When the elevator begins to rise, the person notices her weight is 600N. How far does the elevator move in 3s? 3 ~ ▯F = m~ a ~ ~a = Fn▯ mg m 600 ▯ 50g = 50 = 2:2m=s 2 d = ~ t + at2 i 2 1 = 0 + (2:2)9 2 = 9:9m Energy An object can be said to have a total energy equal to the sum of the various forms of energy it may posess. Kinetic Energy The kinetic energy of an object is determined by its mass and velocity mv 2 K = 2 For any object with a changing velocity 2 2 vf= v i 2ad 1 1 mv f = mv i + mad 2 2 ~ K f K + iFd ▯K = ▯Fd ~ Potential Gravitational Energy Potential gravitational energy is a measure of stored energy of an object based on its height. It is essentially non-sensical to determine an object’s "absolute" potential gravita- tional energy, thus we often simply solve for the di▯erence in energy. 4 For a distance hfabove a reference height h i U = mg(h ▯ h ) g f i thus if an object moves from h io h f ▯U g U gf▯ U gi = mgh ▯fmgh i = mg▯h Spring Energy A spring’s energy is based on its spring constant k and how far it is compressed from its equilibrium point 2 kx U s 2 Collisions If a collision is isolated, then energy is conserved. Elastic collisions also conserve energy. For all real or inelastic collisions, energy is lost. Work Just as energy is a way of keeping track of motion, work is a mechanical means for transfering energy equal to the applied force multiplied by the distance it operates along dW = Fds ~ It can be used to compute the change in energy of a system between two states, as the total work done by non-conservative forces (ie friction) will be equal to the work done by conservative forces (ie gravity, springs, motion) For a system involving friction, motion, gravity, and a spring, we have ▯E th = ▯K + ▯U + ▯g s or, if we compute the value of the thermal work done by friction as energy (using U = ▯Nd, f where d is the distance during which the object undergoes friction), we get 0 = ▯K + ▯U + ▯g + ▯U s f 5 Rotation (of a non-deformable, rigid bodied object) For any point on an object in circular rotation d▯ ! = dt s = r▯
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1,2 and half of page 3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit