Lecture 1 - Civil War Great Note describing the introduction to the civil war from the first lecture. Very detailed and elaborate.
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
HIST110 Jan 7 2011
History 120 America At War: 1861-1945
Civil War Part 1:
- Eve of Civil War 1861, US was still growing farmers in industrial east
- More profound and epic struggle about what the United States was
- America’s first industrial war.
Spark that Started Civil War: Fort Sumter, April 1861
- Abraham Lincoln was elected as President in November 1860, with
2nd highest percentage in voter history in US.
- Lincoln won all Northern States but no Southern States, which
triggered crisis of epic proportions.
- Southerners saw Lincoln as an individual who would stop at nothing
to eliminate slaves, restructure Southern Society.
- Never before in American history had society been so divided,
- The birth of the Confederate States of America (CSA) February 1861.
- Governors in South Carolina and Mississippi called conventions to
find a reason to solve the abolitionist Lincoln won the election.
- By the end of 1860, the US was collapsing.
- South Carolina was the first state that succeeded from the US; held
huge rallies, celebrations, on December 20th 1860.
- They felt they had no choice but to withdraw from the union because
foundations were threatened.
- 6 other states succeeded afterwards after South Carolina: Mississippi
and Florida, Alabama and Georgia, Louisiana and Texas.
- Afterwards, Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Arkansas
- 4 were left part of union.
- February 1861, gathered in Montgomery Alabama, created a
federate constitution, which created abolition of slavery.
- Selected Jefferson Davis as leader.
- By this time the US was fractured nation, and confederate states of
America. These leaders saw themselves as honorable people who
tried to save the Southern States from the North.
- Before succession was underway, the US was building For Sumter,
modern fortress surrounded by brick walls and still in construction
when succession was going on.
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version