Philosophy
Course
PHIL 145
Professor
Tim Kenyon
Semester
Winter

Description
Review Midterm Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:04 PM Chapter 1 Assert - to present some claim that may or may not be true Argument - set of statements that are presented as true and that have a very important internal relation  Elements of an argument: o Premises - statements which are intended to provide rational support or establish the truth of a further statement o Conclusion - statement intended to rationally supported by set of premises Essential Premises - premises that would remain if all irrelevancies are removed it will still be true Propositions, sentences, claims - forms you could make an assertion in Validity - structural property of arguments. A argument is valid just in case there is no way for the conclusion to be false if all premises are true. Soundness - is valid and have all true premises therefore it proves its conclusion. Inference - act of reaching a conclusion on the basis of some premises. Aristotle Laws of Thought: Univocal - a term that has only one single meaning or interpretation Law of Identity - for any proposition "P"; "P" if and only if "P" Law of Non-Contradiction - not both "P" and not - "P" Law of Excluded Middle - "P" or not - "P" Classical Logic - all of the above Intuitionistic Logic - system of logic that does not include Law of Excluded-Middle  Tolerates vagueness and fuzzy boundaries  But you cannot take a disproof of not - P as a proof P Dialetheic - keeps the law of Excluded-Middle but gives up or restricts the Law of Non-Contradiction (ex anything in the legal system) Model Logics - includes notions like : belief, knowledge, obligation, possibility and temporality *Fallacious Argument Explanations - where we appeal to some facts in order to rationalize or make sense of some other facts Causal Explanations - describing in part the prior conditions that caused some event Pseudo-Explanation - providing some triviality or a mere label when an explanation is called for (one word answers to not one word questions) Modus Ponens - if "P" then "Q", "P" therefore "Q"  If it raining, then the ground is wet. It is raining, therefore the ground is wet. Modus Tollens - if "P" then "Q", not "Q" therefore not "P"  If it raining, then the ground is wet. The ground is not wet, so it is not raining. Conditional Reasoning - if "P" then "Q"  If it is raining then the ground is wet  Whenever something happens that is dependent to something else Disjunctive Syllogism - all premises are conditional  Either foxes are mammals or rabbits are birds, rabbits are not birds, therefore foxes are mammals. Hypothetical Syllogism - if P then Q, if Q then R, therefore if P then R Method of Counter-Example - a way to prove an argument invalid by thinking of ways for all the premises to be true while the conclusion is false  The club president appoints the treasurer, the chair of the club appoints the vice-president therefore the treasurer and the vice-president are appointed by different people, which is invalid if the same person is both president and chair. Simplification - "P" and "Q" therefore "P" Conjunction - "P" + "Q" = "P" and "Q" Addition - "P" therefore "P" or "Q"  My hair is brown, therefore my hair is brown or blonde.  If we already know that "P" is true, it guarantees that "P or Q" is true no matter what "Q" is Constructive Dilemma - P or Q, if P then R, if Q then S, therefore R or S  If i am blonde or brunette, if i'm blonde then i'm 16, if i'm brunette i have a phone, therefore i'm 16 or i have a phone Destructive Dilemma - if P then R, if Q then S, not R or not S, therefore not P or not Q  If i'm blonde then i'm 16, if i'm brunette i have a phone, i'm not 16 and i don't have a phone, therefore i'm not blonde or brunette Linked Arguments - premises tie together to support a single overall conclusion  List style, 1 2 therefore 3 Convergent Argument - whole bunch of premises that directly support conclusion and do not depend on one another Sequential Arguments - premises establish intermediate conclusions which the service premises for some further conclusion  Literacy is important life skill, if you go to university you must be literate, Joe goes to university, therefore Joe is literate, therefore at least one person is literate, therefore one person has a skill Truth Conditions - how things would have to be in order for statement to be true Bivalent - only two possible truth values Truth values - degree of truth Contingent Truth - only truths that are only truth in some situations, but could have turned out differently Necessary Truths - they would be true not matter how things may have turned out Necessary Conditions - a condition that is true but not sufficient, cannot be flipped around  Being warm-blooded makes you a mammal, but a mammal does not make you warm-blooded Conjunctive Statements/ Conjunction - contains two or more sub-statements that contain "and" or "but", a conjunction is true if and only if both of its conjuncts are true Disjunctive Statement - statement of the form "P" or "Q" and is true in case at least one of the "P" and "Q" are true Conditional Statements - statement of the form if "P" then "Q" is true unless "P" is true but "Q" is false Two parts:  Antecedent - "IF"  Consequent - "THEN" Types of Conditionals: Indicative Conditionals - if "P" then "Q" Subjunctive Conditionals - if it were to be the case that "P" then it would be the case that "Q"  Thing
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 145

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit