Physics
Course
PHYS 112
Professor
Carey Bissonnette
Semester
Winter

Description
PHYS 112 Review Chapter 13: Oscillations about Equilibrium Simple Harmonic Motion - Non constant acceleration - Periodic motion: motion that repeats itself - Oscillatory motion: periodic motion that moves back and forth over the same path Period (T): the time required for a motion to repeat, time required for one cycle of periodic motion Frequency: the number of oscillations per unit time: f=1/T Angular Frequency: w = 2πf = 2π/T Position: x(t)=Acoswt Velocity: v(t)=-Awsin(wt) 2 2 Acceleration: a(t)=-Aw cos(wt) = -w x(t) Where A is the amplitude of motion, w is the angular frequency of motion, and f is the frequency of motion A linear restoring force will give you simple harmonic motion. The linear restoring force tries to push the mass back to equilibrium position. Hooke’s Law: F= -kx = ma 2 KE= ½mv PE= ½kx 2 Energy doesn’t change when mass is doubled, however, maximum velocity does. Chapter 14: Waves and Sound Periodic disturbance – transfer of energy without transferring materials 2 kinds of waves: transverse and longitudinal Transverse: disturbance is perpendicular to direction of propagation Longitudinal: disturbance is parallel to direction of propagation v: velocity of wave (constant for constant medium) A: amplitude (height of disturbance) λ: wavelength, repeated disturbance f: frequency, number of full waves that pass a point T: period, time for one wavelength to pass a point v=distance/time=x/T=fλ Superposition principle: 2 waves travelling toward each other meet and pass through each other. Where the waves overlap you see the sum of the two waves: constructive interference (waves that give a larger amplitude), in phase, louder noise, r =r +nλ 1 2 destructive interference (waves that give a smaller amplitude), out of phase, quiet noise r1=r2+(n+1/2 )λ Sound: in solid medium: √ in fluid or gas medium: √ When a sound wave passes from air to water, wave speed must change (different medium). However, frequency does not change, as it is determined by the source. Now v= fλ, and because f is constant, and v changed, λ must also change. Sound source emits energy over time: Power of source – Sound intensity (power passing through an area): Intensity level (sound level): , where I0is the threshold of hearing, and β is in decibels. Standing waves on a String Standing Waves in an Air Column Chapter 19: Electric Charges, Forces, and Fields Static Electricity: like repels like, opposites attract Charge on one e = -1.602 x 10 -19C (C = Coulomb) -31 -27 m e 9.11 x 10 kg m =p1.67 x 10 kg 2 Coulomb’s Law: F = (k*q *q 1/r 2 To solve for the force acting on a charge, just add all the forces acting on the charge: 1. Draw a picture 2. Draw all the force vectors acting on the charge (direction) 3. Calculate magnitude and components of each foce 4. Add them up | | Point Charge: Chapter 20: Electric potential and Electric Potential Energy Work = W = F*d = F*dcosθ W=FΔx W=ΔKE=KE-KE f thii is a conservative force Uniform Electric Field: F=qE W=Fd=qEd Potential Energy ΔPE = -W = -(qE (xxxf) i (k*q *q)0r Electric Potential Difference: ΔV=V -V b ΔaE/q = -W/q ΔV=-Ed Capacitor: Electrical component used to store energy for a short period of time Battery: pumps charge and maintains a potential difference across battery Conductor: electrons free to move – metals binsulator: electrons are tightly bound to atoms – non-metal Current is the motion of electrons – traditional current involves the positive charges moving Capacitance: the measure of the ability of a capacitor to store charge: C=Q/V unit: farad, f Parallel Plate Capacitor: Dielectrics: a dielectric is an insulating material that increases the capacitance of a capacitor. The dielectric constant, k, reduces the electric field by a factor of k. the potential difference between capacitor plates is decreased by the factor k. Chapter 21: Electric current and direct current circuits Current: I=Q/t unit is Ampere, Amp; 1A=1C/s  I=V/R Electromotive force: emf, ε, is the potential difference between the terminals of a battery under ideal conditions Work done by a battery: W=ΔQ*ε Resistivity: ρ, the resistivity of a material determines how much resistance it gives to the flow of electron current. Ohm’s Law: V=I/R Resistance of a wire: R=ρ(L/A) Electric Power: P=IV P=(V )/R = I R 2 2 Power dissipation in a Resistor: P = I *R= V /R Series Parallel Capacitance Resistance Kirchhoff’s rules Junction Rule (Charge conservation): the algebraic sum of all currents meeting at a junction must equal zero. Currents entering the junction are taken to be positive, currents leaving are taken to be negative Loop Rule (Energy Conservation): the algebraic sum of all potential differences around a closed loop is zero. The potentia
More Less

Related notes for PHYS 112

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit