PSYCH101 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Kanzi, Unconscious Mind, Baddeley'S Model Of Working Memory

135 views6 pages
1. Eplai Baddele’s odel of Wokig Meo. Ho is the odel diffeet fo the
three-o odel’s oigial oeptualizatio?
Baddele’s Model of Wokig Meo ephasizes the ipotae of thee slae sstes
responsible for storing specific types of memory Visuo-Spatial Sketch Pad, Phonological
Loop, and the Episodic Buffer which are all controlled by a main control center known as
the Central Executive. The Central Executive is responsible for coordinating attention to a
specific slave system of the three. The Visuo-Spatial Sketch Pad can store mental images,
manipulate them and maintain spatial tracking (e.g., how close objects are in reference to
another). The phonological loop is an auditory store that holds verbal information (e.g.,
speech and reading) for a few seconds. If information is further rehearsed, the phonological
loop is connected to an articulatory loop which holds information for longer than a few
seconds and is where short term memory storage can be found. The episodic buffer stores
events, stories, or imaginative scenarios; such visuals create episodic experiences that
combine visual, auditory and verbal information. This slave system is capable of holding
information for long-te eo; eets a e ealled like plaig a oie i oe’s
head.
The Three-Box Model of Memory Storage, developed by Atkinson and Shiffrin in 1968
contains three distinct memory stores (Sensory Register, Short-term memory STM, and
Long Term Memory LTM) that are more related to the duration of which the memories
can be stored as oppose to the futioalit o tpe of eo as see i Baddele’s
model. Initially, information enters from the environment to a sensory register which has a
large capacity to store sensory information (eg., images or auditory) for ~0.5-2 seconds.
From this box, information can either be forgotten or transferred to the STM box, which has
a limited capacity to store consciously processed information for up to 30 seconds without
rehearsal. From this box, it can either be forgotten or transferred to Long Term Memory
(LTM). Baddele’s Model shos that to diffeet tasks fo to diffeet odels a e
executed simultaneously, unlike the three-box model which is a flow of information.
Baddeley does not include the capacity of information or the duration it can be stored,
unlike the Three-Box Model. The Thee Bo Model, ulike Baddele’s odel, a hae
memories forgotten, transferred, or retrieved between stages. A major difference between
both models is that the Three Box Model highlights the necessary type of information
encoding necessary for each box: phonemic encoding for STM and semantic encoding for
LTM. In Baddele’s model there is no link between transferring the STM memory of the
articulatory loop into long term memory in fact Baddele’s model suggests that the only
connection between each slave system is the Central Executive. The Three Box Model
represents memory is a multi-stage poess, heeas Baddele’s odel depits that eah
model is only connected by means of the Central Executive. In summary, the Three Box
Model represents a flow of processes leading to LTM whereas Baddele’s Model is focused
on the working STM memory.
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 6 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
2. Describe how classical conditioning works. What type of behaviour is learned by ways of
classical conditioning? Use an example to illustrate your answer.
Classical conditioning (originating from Pavlov and Watson) is learning that results from
associations of neutral environmental stimuli with automatic responses. The conditioned reflex
results from association of the neutral stimulus with an unconditioned stimulus. Thus, there is
an acquisition of automatic reflexes the type of behaviour learned by classical conditioning is
involuntary physiological reflexes. An unconditioned stimulus is a stimulus that elicits a reflexive
response (not learned, automatic). A conditioned stimulus is a stimulus that was initially
neutral, but then it is learned to become associated with a conditioned reflexive response.
For example: John. B Watson worked with children to instill irrational fears in them and see if
he could create conditioned responses as well as counter-condition them. He performed the
little alet epeiet i hih he essetiall ade a hild ho as’t afaid of uies
(neutral stimulus) react fearful to them by crying (conditioned response). Watson first
introduced a loud noise to scare the boy, and his automatic unconditioned response was to cry.
Next, he presented the bunny (neutral stimulus), followed by a loud hammer noise, and Albert
cried. By doing this, the bunny now became a predicter for the loud hammer noise and elicited
a negative response in Albert. Lastly, when the bunny was brought out alone (without the loud
hammer noise) Albert still cried (conditioned response). This represents how a once neutral
stimulus associated with an unconditioned stimulus can produce a conditioned response to the
now what is referred to as the conditioned stimulus.
Watson also attempted to reverse this process by counter-conditioning: 1) He found a boy
Peter who was afraid of bunnies (unconditioned stimulus) and they made him cry
(unconditioned response). 2) He brought Peter milk and cookies and he was happy. 3) In
another instance, he brought the bunny in, followed by the milk and cookies, Peter did not cry.
4) Lastly, when he brought the u i aloe, Pete did ot  agai ee though it as’t
followed by milk and cookies (new conditioned response).
The idea here is that by pairing a neutral stimulus with an unconditioned stimulus, a positive or
negative emotional connection and response can be created (conditioned stimulus) in
association with the same response that was given to the unconditioned stimulus.
Dog salivating..
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 6 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
erinhyena970 and 37878 others unlocked
PSYCH101 Full Course Notes
PSYCH101 Full Course Notes
Verified Note
13 documents

Document Summary

Baddele(cid:455)"s model of wo(cid:396)ki(cid:374)g me(cid:373)o(cid:396)(cid:455) e(cid:373)phasizes the i(cid:373)po(cid:396)ta(cid:374)(cid:272)e of th(cid:396)ee sla(cid:448)e s(cid:455)ste(cid:373)s responsible for storing specific types of memory visuo-spatial sketch pad, phonological. Loop, and the episodic buffer which are all controlled by a main control center known as the central executive. The central executive is responsible for coordinating attention to a specific slave system of the three. The visuo-spatial sketch pad can store mental images, manipulate them and maintain spatial tracking (e. g. , how close objects are in reference to another). The phonological loop is an auditory store that holds verbal information (e. g. , speech and reading) for a few seconds. If information is further rehearsed, the phonological loop is connected to an articulatory loop which holds information for longer than a few seconds and is where short term memory storage can be found. The episodic buffer stores events, stories, or imaginative scenarios; such visuals create episodic experiences that combine visual, auditory and verbal information.