Sociology Test 1 – Master Copy
1. Which term is NOT closely related to the discussion of globalisation?:
B) global collective consciousness
2. Who believes the subject/knower of inquiry is situated in the actualities of one's own living?
A) Dorothy Smith
B) Gloria Watkins
C) Michel Foucault
D) Edward Said
3. Symbolic Interactionism is associated with the following beliefs:
A) social action theory.
C) the microsociological perspective.
D) B and C only.
E) all of the above.
4. The "liberal humanist assumption" is best explained as:
A) the belief that there is a value of putting yourself into other people’s shoes and seeing the world as
B) the belief that workers lack connection to what they produce and become separated from themselves
and other workers.
C) the belief that everyone should be treated equally and recognized as human beings.
D) the belief that the human mind and consciousness are more important in understanding the human
condition than the material world.
5. Modern theorist Antonio Gramsci, best known for his contributions to the concept of hegemony,
can be said to be aligned with:
A) Western Marxism
B) Queer theory
C) Post-colonial theory
D) Feminist theory
6. According to Critical Race theory, racism is:
A) endemic in American life.
C) linked to historical practices.
D) none of the above.
E) all of the above.
7. Which of the following is TRUE about systems of reasoning?
A) Deductive logic is not used in Sociology.
B) Inductive logic is not used in Sociology.
C) Researches that use a qualitative approach often use deductive reasoning.
D) Deductive logic is typically used in quantitative research.
8. Which theoretical perspective would argue that culture results from interaction and collective
engagement with our surroundings?
A) Symbolic Interaction.
D) Conflict theory.
9. Which theorist did NOT make important contributions to Symbolic Interactionist theory?:
A) Max Weber
B) Talcott Parsons
C) George Herbert Mead
D) Charles H. Cooley
10. The following are all defining features of Canadian sociology EXCEPT:
A) its ability to survive over time
B) its interest in the political economy
C) its greater focus on microsociology
D) its greater focus on feminists ideas and perspectives
E) all are defining features of Canadian sociology
11. Who named Symbolic Interactionism
A) Herbert Blumer.
B) Karl Marx.
C) Charles Horton Cooley.
D) George Herbert Mead.
12. Which of the following is a micro theorist?
A) Karl Marx.
B) George Herbert Mead.
C) Emile Durkheim.
D) Max Weber.
13. What is true of qualitative research?
A) Researchers remain removed from the interview process.
B) Researchers give participants paper and pencil surveys.
C) Researchers make observations about body language, feelings and moods of participants.
D) A and C only.
14. Who coined the term global village?
A) Marshall McLuhan.
B) Anthoney Giddens.
C) Antonio Gramsci.
D) Herbert Spencer.
15. What term was NOT developed in classical sociological theories?
A) The natural state
B) The social contract
C) Tabula rasa
D) The global village
16. What factor do you need to consider most in determining which approach to adopt in social
A) Research questions
B) Research population