Business (24)
BUSI 393 (12)

Law study notes.pdf

8 Pages
Unlock Document

University of British Columbia
BUSI 393
Barbara Cox

3 Main Roles of Law 1 Protect persons and property2 Enables govt to operate for benefit of society 3 Creates a framework to enable broader freedom of choice Natural Law vs Positiveaturalfundamental immutable moral principles expressed in general legal principles and may be formulated into detailed rules for a particular society PositiveAscertainable rules that are bindingThe law that is laws w consequences rather than morals that ought to be followed Legal Proceedings Civil1 Writ of summons 2 Appearance D 3 Statement of claim P Pleadings4 Defenseor counterclaimD 5 Examination for discovery Lawyers ask plaintiffdefendant Qs Preview case strength strategy settlement Evidence may be used in trial 6 Discovery of documents 7 Pretrial conferencestreamline trial 8 TrialPlaintiff vs DefendantCivil Action5050 burden of proof Crown vs DefendantCriminal ActionBeyond a reasonable doubtCommittal OrderIf defendant doesnt show up D either pays or goes to jail Garnishing OrderGiven before writ of summons to prevent defendant from hiding Court Systems Civil 1 Small ClaimsUp to 25000 no juries usually no lawyers 2 Supreme Court of BCEither party can ask for a jury 8 member 3 BC Court of Appeal i Hears appeals from SCBC ii No witnesses no evidence just court recording iii About matters of lawSCBC judge interpreted law wrong or messed up somehow 4 Supreme Court of Canada i Appeals can only be made w leave permission ii Possibly a constitutional case or something significant iii Only 9 judges appointed geographically so they hear few cases
More Less

Related notes for BUSI 393

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.