Quiz #1- Person 1
1. Historically, which country has produced the most gold annually?
2. What percent of mined diamonds is used as gemstones?
3. Subduction zones are...
Tectonic boundaries where one plate moves beneath another
4. What is true about chemical formulas for minerals?
Use element abbreviations; contain abundant info; composed of only elements;
5. Tiffany & Co. is…
Luxury brand founded in New York
6. Recent consumer trends in jewellery industry include…
7. Which of the following describe a mineral by definition?
Crystalline; naturally occurring; definite chemical composition; not lab grown
8. The GIAstands for…
Gemological Institute of America
9. Trace elements are not more abundant than minor elements.
10. The Periodic Table…
An organized collection of the known elements from which info can be extracted
11. Gold is not rarer than PGMs.
12. Which famous Colombian emerald was carved in India at the end of 17 century?
13. Of the historic diamonds belonging to royal families described in the notes, which
one was sold at an auction?
14. Which country produces the best quality emeralds?
Colombia 15. Which of the following countries have produced historically significant
India, SouthAfrica, Congo
16. Gems can occur in…
Sedimentary; metamorphic, igneous rocks
17. Mid-oceanic ridges form at…
Divergent plate boundaries
18. Avolcanic rock…
Forms from cooling on the surface of the Earth; is an igneous rock
19. Tectonic plates occur in the…
20. If two minerals have the same colour and luster, what other physical properties
can you test without damaging/scratching