Quiz #2- Person 1
1. What crystal system does diamond belong to?
2. The round brilliant cut was designed to…
Return as much possible light back through the table
3. Diamonds are capable of being carried to the surface of the earth by kimberlite
and lamproite magmas because…
Magma ascends to the surface very quickly
4. All kimberlite do not contain diamonds.
5. Which of the following parts of a cut diamond is not always present on a modern
6. The classic shape of a kimberlite pipe is similar to a…
7. An IF D diamond is more valuable than a S1 D stone if they have the same carat
8. The P-T stability field for diamond is sometimes called…
The Diamond Window
9. What gem does the term “gota de aceite” refer to?
Emerald (“butterfly wing effect”)
10. Which of the following provinces/territories does not have emerald occrences?
Nunavut; Places w/ occurrences: Yukon, NWT, Ontario, BC
11. A15 carat unheated aquamarine from Brazil would be…
12. The following gems can be produced synthetically…
Ruby, emerald, diamond
13. An example of a mineral that is cyclosilicate…
Beryl; has ring structure of SiO4 tetrahedra
14. Emeralds occur in…
Pegmatite; metamorphosed schist; alluvial deposits 15. The “Black Prince’s Ruby” is actually…
16. What is the hardness of ruby and sapphire?
Hardness of 9
17. Which provinces/territories do not have corundum occurrences?
Yukon; Places w/ occurrences: BC, Montana, Ontario, Nunavut
18. What colour does the term “Kashmir” refer to for corundum?
Vivid velvety blue
19. What is the common form of euhedral corundum crystals?
“Barrel” shaped tapering hexagonal prism
20. Historically, where were the most valuable rubies mined?
Quiz #2- Person 2
1. Where do some of the earliest diamonds original from?
2. Which of the following is true for diamond clarity grading?
VS2 > I1
3. Which of the following rocks are capable of hosting diamonds?
4. What is the Mohs hardness of diamond?
Hardness of 10
5. If the density of diamond is 3.51 g/cm3 and the density of graphite is 2.20 g/cm2,
what does this say about the crystal structure of the 2 minerals if their composition
is the same?
The atoms in diamond are packed closer together than in graphite
6. Ideally, what elements comprise a diamond?
7. TheArgyle mine inAustralia is unique because it produces…
Pink-red and purple diamonds 8. Diamond-bearing kimberlites intrude into