Poverty and Inequality
Final Quiz Review
1. Sample topics for shorter questions:
Draw a Lorenz curve
Calculate a gini coefficient
Theories of economic growth and relationship to distribution of income
Explain arguments and concepts from the final set of readings
2. Sample Essay Questions:
Answer the following questions in essay format. Your answers should be based upon the
readings and lecture notes presented in the course. Include reference to the context of the
issue the question addresses, as well as to the economic reasoning that helps to explain it.
Be sure to define key economic concepts and terms. Provide examples and use diagrams
1. Why should citizens in rich countries care about the health outcomes of the
poorest in the global economy?
2. To what extent are we responsible for the wellbeing of others in society? Discuss
in light of the course material and, in particular, Ignatieff’s essays about the
“Needs of Strangers”. Is there a role for the state? Why or why not?
3. To what extent is does the distribution of income determine the growth and
development of an economy? Explain in the context of the readings and other
4. Assess Dambiso Moya’s argument about the role of aid contributions and African
underdevelopment? Do you agree with her? Why or why not?
5. What explains the changing distribution of income in British Columbia and many