Lesson13-1Terms.docx

6 Pages

Department
Food, Nutrition and Health
Course Code
FNH 200
Professor
Azita Madadi- Noei

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.
FINAL REVIEW
FILL IN THE BLANK
1. Ice cream is usually frozen using this process (be specific):
2. This type of mycotoxins can be found in peanuts, are highly toxic and potently carcinogenic:
3. The mechanism of heat transfer in canned tomato juice is primarily by:
4. This term defines the heat treatment applied to ensure that no viable organisms will be
present:
MATCHING
List of answers: Escherichia coli 0157:H7, sucrose, aspartame, histamine
Questions
1. Microorganism associated with “hamburger disease”
2. Toxin associated with scombroid poisoning
3. Sugar substitute made of 2 amino acids
4. Sugar found in nectar of flowers collected by honey bees
SHORT ANSWERS
Fruit juices sold in the refrigerated case of the grocery store are an example of a “perishable” food
commodity, yet these fruit juices can also be purchased as a “shelf-stable” product stored at room
temperature
1. Define “perishable” and “shelf-stable” foods (2marks)
Perishable: have a shelf life of less than 60 days (0.5) and are not processed or are only
minimally processed (0.5) Shelf-stable: shelf life of > 6 months (0.5); some process of
preservation is used (0.5)
2. Compare and contrast the processes that lead to the two types of fruit juices. Explain the
method for shelf-life extension of these two types of fruit juices (4marks)
process kills pathogenic bacteria (0.25) but not all the spoilage causing MOs
(psychrotrophic bacteria) (0.25). Pasteurized prod. still need to be refrigerated in order to
extend their shelf life (0.25) and have a Durable life date (Best before date) printed on the
label (0.25)
Shelf stable fruit juice: UHT- -6 sec (0.5) with aseptic packaging
(0.5). This process destroys spoilage (0.25) and disease-causing (0.25) MOs. Products can
be stored at room temp (0.25) and their shelf life is a lot longer than pasteurized fruit
juices… >6 months...(0.25)
3. What is food irradiation as defined by Food and Drug Regulations of Canada? (2marks)
Treatment of food with Ionizing Energy (0.5)- Using beta, gamma rays, etc.. (0.5); these
are short wavelengths with high penetrating power (1)
4. Explain the underlying mechanism(s) for food preservation by ionizing radiation (4marks)
I.E. can destroy spoilage, pathogenic MOs, prevent sprouting, pest control… (1)
By Direct effects- (DNA)… (0.5) Direct hit of Ionizing energy upon genetic material of
microbial cells, causing random, extensive damage (1)
By Indirect effects (°FR)… (0.5)
Ionizing energy interacts with water in the food. The absorbed energy will dislodge
electrons from water molecules creating ion pairs & free radicals (1)
5. Define margin of safety in thermal processing. Explain your answer by providing numeric
example. How is it applied to acid versus low-acid goods? (3marks)
Margin of Safety- used to minimize possibility of viable survivors of C. botulinum (1) For
low-acid foods a 12-D (0.5) must be applied, meaning that 12D = 12 log cycle reduction =
can kill 1012 (1 trillion) microbes (0.5) For acid foods a 5-D (0.5) is used b/c C. botulinum
doesn’t grow in acidic conditions (therefore there should be a lower starting microbial load
of C. botulinum and other pathogens) (0.5)
LESSON 13
TERMS
1. FOSHU
2. Functional foods
3. Nutraceuticals
4. Probiotics
5. Lactic acid bacteria
6. Natural Health Products
LESSON 10
TERMS
1. Electromagnetic spectrum
2. Ionizing energy
3. X-rays
4. Gamma rays
5. Beta rays
6. Division 26 of the Food and Drugs Act and Regulations
7. MeV
8. kGy
9. Free radicals
10. Unique radiolytic products
11. Radurization

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
F INAL R EVIEW F ILL IN THE BLANK 1. Ice cream is usually frozen using this process (be specific): 2. This type of mycotoxins can be found in peanuts, are highly toxic and potently carcinogenic: 3. The mechanism of heat transfer in canned tomato juice is primarily by: 4. This term defines the heat treatment applied to ensure that no viable organisms will be present: M ATCHING List of answers: Escherichia coli 0157:H7, sucrose, aspartame, histamine Questions 1. Microorganism associated with “hamburger disease” 2. Toxin associated with scombroid poisoning 3. Sugar substitute made of 2 amino acids 4. Sugar found in nectar of flowers collected by honey bees SHORT A NSWERS Fruit juices sold in the refrigerated case of the grocery store are an example of a “perishable” food commodity, yet these fruit juices can also be purchased as a “shelf-stable” product stored at room temperature 1. Define “perishable” and “shelf-stable” foods (2marks) Perishable: have a shelf life of less than 60 days (0.5) and are not processed or are only minimally processed (0.5) Shelf-stable: shelf life of > 6 months (0.5); some process of preservation is used (0.5) 2. Compare and contrast the processes that lead to the two types of fruit juices. Explain the method for shelf-life extension of these two types of fruit juices (4marks) process kills pathogenic bacteria (0.25) but not all the spoilage causing MOs (psychrotrophic bacteria) (0.25). Pasteurized prod. still need to be refrigerated in order to extend their shelf life (0.25) and have a Durable life date (Best before date) printed on the label (0.25) Shelf stable fruit juice: UHT- -6 sec (0.5) with aseptic packaging (0.5). This process destroys spoilage (0.25) and disease-causing (0.25) MOs. Products can be stored at room temp (0.25) and their shelf life is a lot longer than pasteurized fruit juices… >6 months...(0.25) 3. What is food irradiation as defined by Food and Drug Regulations of Canada? (2marks) Treatment of food with “Ionizing Energy” (0.5)- Using beta, gamma rays, etc.. (0.5); these are short wavelengths with high penetrating power (1) 4. Explain the underlying mechanism(s) for food preservation by ionizing radiation (4marks) I.E. can destroy spoilage, pathogenic MOs, prevent sprouting, pest control… (1) By Direct effects- (DNA)… (0.5) Direct hit of Ionizing energy upon genetic material of microbial cells, causing random, extensive damage (1) By Indirect effects (°FR)… (0.5) Ionizing energy interacts with water in the food. The absorbed energy will dislodge electrons from water molecules creating ion pairs & free radicals (1) 5. Define margin of safety in thermal processing. Explain your answer by providing numeric example. How is it applied to acid versus low-acid goods? (3marks) Margin of Safety- used to minimize possibility of viable survivors of C. botulinum (1) For low-acid foods a 12-D (0.5) must be applied, meaning that 12D = 12 log cycle redu
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit