Philosophy (139)
PHIL 101 (3)
All (3)

Philosophy 101 Final Exam Study Guide.docx

25 Pages
Unlock Document

University of British Columbia
PHIL 101

Philosophy 101 Final Exam Study Guide Berkeley The Nature of Reality George Berkeley • 1685­1753 • Irish bishop and educational missionary to Bermuda and America • Champion of idealism o The doctrine that “esse est percipi” (to be is to be perceived or a  perceiver” • An important critic of Descartes and Locke • An important influence on Hume and Kant • Bishop and scientist Berkeley’s Three Dialogues • A discussion between Hylas (“matter”) and Philonous (“friend of mind”) • Philonous is Berkeley’s advocate for idealism • Hylas defends a common­sense world of material objects o “Can anything be more fantastical, more repugnant to common sense or a  more manifest piece of skepticism than to believe there is no such thing as  matter?” • Philonous defends the “extravagant opinion” that only minds and ideas  (sensations, memories and emotions) exist o “There is no such thing as what philosophers call “material substance” o “When we do our utmost to conceive the existence of external bodies we  are all the while only contemplating our own ideas” Philonous’s Basic Argument • Sensation are separate from the (material) things supposedly being sensed o Think of our sensations of a long dead star • We have experience and knowledge of only our sensations o We never have experience of the things supposedly being sensed • Therefore, we have no reason to believe in anything other than minds (and their  sensations, memories, emotions, etc.) Philonous on the Nature of Perception • Philonous’s key premise o We have experience and knowledge of only our sensations • Philonous: Does the reality of sensible things consists in being perceived, or it is  something distinct from ther being perceived, and that bears no relation to the  mind? • Hylas: to exist is one thing, and to be perceived is another • Philonous: I speak with regard to sensible things only … And it is most evident  that no idea  Philonous’s Key Arguments • Book Analogy • Water Experiment • Argument regarding colors • Argument regarding primary qualities Book Analogy • In reading a book, we immediately perceive various words and letters • In contrast, we know only mediately (or from inference) about the things the book  is about: God, virtue, truth, etc. • “In a like manner, though I hear variety of sounds, yet I cannot be said to hear the  causes of those sounds” • “And when by my touch I perceive a thing to be hot and heavy, I cannot say, with  my truth or propriety, that I feel the cause of its heat or weight” • Therefore, our perceptions cannot be of an independently existing material  substance Water Experiment • If one of your hands is hot, and the other cold, and they are both at once put into a  vessel of water that it is an intermediate state, then the water ill seem cold to one  hand and warm to the other • If our perceptions were really of an independently existing material substance, the  matter would have to be both cold an warm at the same time • This is impossible • Therefore, our perceptions cannot be of an independently existing material  substance Argument Regarding Colors • The “beautiful red and purple we see on yonder clouds” are present when we  observe them from a distance, but “vanish upon a nearer approach” • If our perceptions were really of an independently existing material substance,  then they wouldn’t vary in this way • Therefore our perceptions cannot be of an independently existing material  substance Primary versus Secondary Qualities • Locke’s distinction between primary and secondary qualities • Primary qualities are properties that exist independently of the observer o Extension, figure, solidity, number, gravity, motion, etc. o Usually though to be objective • Secondary qualities are properties that exist trough interaction with an observer o Colors, sounds, smells, tastes, etc. o Usually thought to be subjective Argument Regarding Primary Qualities • “As we approach to or recede from an object, the visible extension varies, being at  one distance ten or a hundred times greater than at another” • “No real inherent property of any object can be changed without some change in  the thing itself” • Therefore our perception cannot be of an independently existing material  substance Hume Causation Cause and Effect • The relationship between cause and effect is central to o The Natural Sciences  Example: a large mass caused light to bend o The Social Sciences  Example: poor harvests, high taxes, lack of representation and  kingly ineptitude were among the cases of the French Revolution o Law and Ethics  Example: The tort of negligence requires a defendant to have  caused a harm o Everyday belief and action  Example: Running out of gas caused the car to stop Aristotle • Aristotle’s four types of cause or explanation o Material Cause  An object’s physical mater or raw material  Why is the statue brown? Because it is made from bronze o Formal Cause  An object’ form or shape or structure  Why is a stool steady? Because it has three legs o Efficient Cause  An entity that initiates or brings about an object or event  Why is this building here? Because the builder built it here o Final Cause  The purpose or end of an object or event is intended to serve  Why is he walking? To be healthy David Hume • When we consider the idea of an efficient cause o We can only discover a conjunction of objects o We can never discover a connection between them • Anything more for example, a necessary connection o Is the product of the mind, not of nature • “We known that in fact heat is a constant attendant of flame; but what is the  connection between the, we have no room so much as to conjecture or imagine” • “Solidity, extension, motion; these qualities are all complete in themselves, and  never point out any other event which may result from them” • “We say, for instance, that the vibration of this string is the cause of this particular  sound. But what do we mean by that affirmation? We either mean that this  vibration is followed by this sound, and that all similar vibrations have been  followed by similar sounds: Or, that this vibration is followed by this sound, and  that upon the appearance of one of the mind anticipates the sense,” • Causes are simply conjunctions in the world there is something in your mind that  glues them together • Creates a link between the striking of the match and the ignition of fire • “All events seems entirely loose and separate” Hume’s Basic Argument • All knowledge comes from “our external or internal senses” • Our experience of individual external events gives us no evidence of any  necessary connection between cause and effect • Our experience of individual internal events gives us no evidence of any  necessary connection between cause and effect • Our experience of a number of events is no different from that of individual  events • Therefore, there is no reason to believe that causation involves anything more  than mere conjunction Hume’s First Premise • All knowledge come from our external of internal senses • “It seems a proposition which will not admit of much dispute, that all our  ideas…” Hume’s Second Premise • “There is not, in any single, particular instance of cause and effect, any thing  which can suggest the idea of power ot necessary connection” • “The first time a man saw the communication of motion by impulse, as by the  shock of two billiard balls, he could not pronounce that the one event was  connected: but only that it was conjoined with the other” Hume’s Fourth Presence • “There is nothing in a number of instances different from every single instance  which is supposed to be exactly similar, except only that after a repetition of  similar instances, the mind is carried by habit, upon the appearance of one event,  to expect its usual attendant, and to believe that it will exists” • “even after one instance where we have observes a particular event to follow upon  another, we are not entitles to orm a general rule, or foretell what will happen in  like cases…” Job of Science • Is it the job of science o To discover necessary connections in the world?  To distinguish necessary laws of nature from merely accidental  correlations  See David Armstrong’s theory of scientific realism o Or merely to describe the world?  To give an account that is empirically adequate (without  speculation)  See Bas van Fraassen’s theory of constructive empiricism Locke the self John Locke • 1632­1704 • British Philosopher and democratic advocate • Graduate of Oxford • Student of Robert Boyle • His opposition to authoritarianism influenced by o The Glorious Revolution o The American Bill of Rights • Principle doctrines o Empiricism in epistemology (rejecting innate ideas) o Natural rights in human nature (leading to religious tolerance o Democracy in politics (holding that government authority only comes  from the consent of the citizen) • Principle writings include o Essay concerning Toleration o A Letter Concerning Toleration o A Second Letter Concerning Toleration o A Third Letter for Toleration Identity Over Time • Things change • But if so... o How can two entities be identical if they are different? o How can a single entity be identical to itself if it has changed? Related Issues • Should we have one theory (or multiple theories) for the identity of o Objects o Events o Persons o Different substances (matter, mind, etc.) • Is discontinuous (non­concurrent) identity possible? • Is multiply instantiated (concurrent) identity possible? • Is discontinuous, multiply instantiated identity possible? • How can identity claims be tested? Locke on Types of Identity • Object Identity o Is based upon identity of substance • Personal Identity o Is based upon identity of consciousness o Identity of soul – Locke is a religious person o May remain despite changes of substance o Heart transplant ­> still same person, still have same point of view o “For, it being the same consciousness that makes a man be himself to  himself, personal identity depends on that only, whether it be annexed  solely to one individual substance, or can be continued in a succession of  several substances” Locke on Personhood • A person is “a thinking intelligent being, that has reason and reflection, and can  consider itself as itself, the same thinking thing, n different times and places” • A self is “that conscious thinking thing – whatever substance made up of (whether  spiritual or material, simple or compounded, it matters not) – which is sensible or  conscious of pleasure and pain, capable of happiness or misery, and so is  concerned for itself, as far as that consciousness extends” • Personhood thus might extend to o Human beings o Other animals o Aliens o Artificially created beings • Personhood might not extend to  o All human beings, animals, aliens, etc. Locke on Consciousness • Consciousness versus Self­consciousness o Consciousness = being aware (being sentient, capable of sensing) o Self­consciousness = being aware that one is aware • Locke’s Hypothesis regarding consciousness o “It being impossible for anyone to perceive without perceiving that he  does perceive. When we see, hear, smell, taste, feel, mediate or will  anything, we know that we do so” o Thus consciousness and self­consciousness are indistinguishable Locke on Personal Identity • Locke’s Hypothesis regarding personal identity o “For since consciousness always accompanies thinking, and it I that which  makes everyone to be what he calls self, and thereby distinguishes himself  from all other thinking things, in this alone consists personal identity, that is,  the sameness of a rational being” o In contrast, substance identity “concerns not personal identity at all. The  question being what makes the same person and not whether it be the same  identical substance which always thinks in the same person, which, in this  case, matters not at all o Thus personal identity consists solely in identity of consciousness Severed Hand Argument • Personal identity ceases once consciousness ceases • Imagine being separated from your hand • Without consciousness of your hand; it would cease to be a part of you • “Cut off a hand, and thereby separate it from that consciousness he has of its heat,  cold, and other affections, and it is hen no longer a part of that which is himself,  any more than the remotest part of matter” • “Thus, we see the substance whereof personal self consisted at one time may be  varied at another, without the change of personal identity; there being no question  about the same person, though the limbs which but now were a part of it be cut  off” Nestor Argument • Only those having Nestor’s consciousness can be identical to Nestor • Imagine having the same soul as Nestor (the King of Pylos) • Even so, without Nestor’s consciousness, you could not be Nestor • Suppose someone had “the same soul that was in Nestor or Thersites, at the siege  of Troy… but he now having no consciousness of any of the actions either of  Nestor or Thersites, does or can he conceive himself the same person with either  of them?” • “But let him once find himself conscious of any of the action of Nestor, he then  finds himself the same person with Nestor” Socrates Argument • It would be wrong to punish Socrates for actions of which he is not conscious • Imagine a person who is unaware of his action • In such a case, they would not be his actions • In order to be morally responsible you have to be conscious • If the same Socrates waking and sleeping do not partake of the same  consciousness, Socrates waking and sleeping is not the same person, And to  punish Socrates waking for what sleeping Socrates thought, and waking Socrates  was never conscious of, would be no more of right, than to punish one twin for  what his brother­twin did, whereof he knew nothing, because their outsides were  so alike that they could not be distinguished Objections Lost Memory Objection • “Suppose I wholly lose the memory of some parts of my life, beyond a possibility  of retrieving them, so that perhaps I shall never be conscious of them again; yet  am I not the same person that did those actions, had those thoughts that I once  was conscious of, though I have now forgot them? • Locke’s Reply o “To which I answer that we must here take notice what the word I is  applied to, which, in this case, is the man only. And the same man being  presumed to be the same person, I is easily here supposed to stand also for  the same person. But if it be possible for the same man to have distinct  incommunicable consciousness at different times, it is past doubt the same  man would at different times make different persons” Drunkenness Objection • “But is it not a man drunk and sober the same person?” • Locke’s Reply o “Human laws punish both, with a justice suitable to their way of  knowledge because, in these cases, they cannot distinguish certainly what  is real, what counterfeit” Forgetfulness Objection • “The difficulty is this, that this consciousness being interrupted always be  forgetfulness, there being no moment of our lives wherein we have the whole  train of all our past actions before our eyes in one view” Sleep Objection • “… And in sound sleep having not thoughts at all…” • Locke’s Reply o “I say in all these cases, our consciousness being interrupted, and we  losing the sight of our past selves, doubts are raised whether we are the  same thinking thing” Locke’s Two Thought Experiments First Thought Experiment • Imagine two distinct incommunicable consciousness acting in the same body, the  one constantly by day, the other by night • Then these two persons would be as distinct as Socrates and Plato Second Though Experiment • Imagine the same consciousness acting by intervals in two distinct bodies • Then there would be one person occupying two bodies just as if he were “in two  distinct clothing” Hume the Self Personal Identity  David Hume Identity Over Time • Things change • But if so,,. o How can two entities be identical if they are different? o How can a single entity be identical to itself if changed? Hume on Personal Identity • Locke’s Postulation of the Self o “there are some philosophers who imagine we are every moment intimately  conscious of what we call our Self: that we feel its existence and its  continuance in existence; and are certain beyond the evidence of a  demonstration, both of its perfect identity and simplicity” • Hume’s Fictional Theory o There is no self o We are “nothing but a bundle or collection of different perception which  succeed each other with an inconceivable rapidity, and are in a perpetual flux  and movement” o In other words, in addition to a collection of sense impressions, memories, etc.  we have no consciousness, ne self, no soul Argument from Introspection • “From what impression could this idea [of a self] be derived?” • “For my part, when I enter most intimately into what I call myself, I always  stumble on some particular perception or other, of heat or cold, light r shade, love  or hatred, pain or pleasure/ I never can catch myself at any time without a  perception, and never can observe anything but the perception” • Basic Argument o We have only particular sensations, memories and emotions o We have no constant, invariable impression of a self o Therefore, “the identity which we ascribe to the mind of man is a fictitious  one” • But Compare o We have only particular sensations, memories and emotions o We have no constant, invariable impression a self o Therefore, “the identity which we ascribe to the mind of man is a fictitious  one” o We experience only particular sensations, memories and emotions o We experience no constant, invariable impression of a self o We have only what we experience o Therefore, “the identity which we ascribe to the mind of man is a fictitious  one: • Is Hume right to thing things exist only when o They are experienced? o They have the potential to be experienced? o They enter into causal relationships with the rest of the world? Hume’s Argument from Change • “it must be some one impression that gives rise to every real idea. But self or  person is not any one impression, but that to which our several impressions and  ideas are supposed to have a reference. If that impression gives rise to the idea of  self, that impression must continue invariable the same, through the whole course  of our lives; since self is supposed to exist after that manner. But there is no  impression constant and invariable. Pain and pleasure, grief and joy, passions and  sensation succeed each other, and never all exist at the same time. It cannot,  therefore be from any of these impression, or from any other, that the idea of self  is derived; and consequently there is no such idea” • Basic Argument o All ideas result from experience o All ideas resulting from experience are constantly changing o Our idea of self is suppose to be unchanging o Therefore, there can be no such idea as the idea of self Argument From Sleep • “When my perceptions are removed for any time, as by sound sleep, so long as  am I not sensible of myself, and may truly be said not to exist. And were all my  perceptions removed by death, and could I neither think nor feel, nor see, nor  love, nor hate after the dissolution of my body, I should be entirely annihilated” • Basic Argument o When I am lacking in perceptions, I no longer exist o Therefore my identity is solely a bundle of perceptions, and nothing more Hume’s Theatre Analogy • “The mind is kind of theatre where several perceptions successively make their  appearance, pass, re­pass, glide away and mingle in an infinite variety of postures  and situations” • But, “the comparison of the theatre must not mislead us. They are the successive  perception only that constitute the mind” • Basic Analog o Our minds are like theatrical performances without the theatre o Therefore, my identity is nothing more than a bundle of perceptions A Confusion • Why do we think we have a self, in addition to our succession of experiences? o “That action of the imagination by which we consider the uninterrupted  and invariable object, and tat by which we reflect on the succession of  related objects, are almost the same to the feeling, nor is there much more  effort of though required in the latter case than in the former” o In addition, “we often feign some new and unintelligible principle that  connects the objects together, and that prevents their interruption or  variation” o As a result, we confuse succession with identity o And we introduce “the fiction” of a soul or self or substance Resemblance, Contiguity and Causation • Why do we confuse succession with identity? • Because even though we “never observe any real connection among objects”, we  confuse identity with: o Resemblance o Contiguity o Causation • But resemblance does not result in a “real bond” between impressions • Contiguity (or immediate proximity) is only sometimes present • Causation, when properly understood “resolves itself into” the mere “association  of ideas” Hume’s Theory of the Self • We are “nothing but a bundle or collection of different perceptions which succeed  each other with an inconceivable rapidity” • We often make the mistake of supposing this “whole train of perception to be  united by identity” • But upon recognizing this mistake, we conclude that o Just as a material object is merely a collection of its parts o A mind is merely a collection or bundle of impressions, memories, etc. Plato Knowledge Knowledge is warranted true belief The Theatetus • A platonic dialogue • On the nature of knowledge • Said to have taken place when Theaetetus meets Socrates on his way to the King  Archon’s Court Theaetetus • Athenian mathematician who contributed to the theory of irrational number • 417­369 BCE • Proved the existence of exactly five regular convex polyhedral o Solids having the same number of faces meeting at each vertex o Tetrahedron (4), cube (6),, octahedron (8), dodecahedron (12),  icosahedron (20) • Died of his wounds following the battle of Corinth Euclides • 430­360 BCE • One of Socrates’ students • Said to have enjoyed argument for argument’s sake Theaetetus • Basic Structure of the Dialogue o Euclides tells how Socrates and Theaetetus discuss the nature of  knowledge o Theaetetus suggests that knowledge might be identical to true belief o Socrates replies that when we are wrongly persuaded to accept true belief,  it is not knowledge o Theaetetus suggests that knowledge might be identical to justified true  belief o Socrates suggests four potential types of reason or justification 1. Explanation 2. Enumeration 3. Differentiation 4. Perception • All four types of justification seem to have their weaknesses A Side Argument about False Belief • Theaetetus suggests there are “two sorts of opinion, one true and the other false” • Socrates thinks this is unlikely, since o If we see, we see something that exists o If we hear, we hear something that exists o If we touch, we touch something that exists o So if we think, we think “something which is” o So no one can think of that which is not o But false belief is think of “ that which is not” o So “false opinion has no existence” • A possible solution is perhaps 6 is incorrect • False belief is not the absence of thought, but the wrong of thought Knowledge as True Belief • What is Knowlstge? • Theaetetus’ 1  Hypothesis o Knowledge is true opinion • Socrates replies that when we are wrongly persuaded to accept true belief, it is not  knowledge o Example: imagine an orator or lawyer who persuades a jury to believe that  which is tru
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 101

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.