Psych 100 Review Notes

5 Pages
Unlock Document

University of British Columbia
PSYC 100
Catherine Rawn

17/10/11 Midterm on 24/10/11 – Chapter 2 and Chapter 6 Classical Conditioning Operant conditioning - Classical conditioning o Ivan Pavlov o Why do we learn by classical conditioning? : Recognize stimuli that predict important events – eg things that can hurt us, summer, etc,  Functional o Make appropriate response quickly and effectively o Stimuli that used to be unimportant can now modify behaviour (EG click) o Behaviorism  The view that psychology should be an objective science that studies behavior without making reference to mental processes  Early behaviorism  Learned behaviors can be reduced to mindless mechanisms  Extending Pavlov’s understanding: cognitive processes  Animals learn an expectancy for the unconditioned stimulus o EG: fear conditioning  Unconditional response does not have to always equal to conditioned response o Tells us that it is not a simple reflex, there is an expectation of what is going to happen – expectation that leads to the response – not always an automatic reflex  Animals learn an expectancy for the unconditioned stimulus  Biological predispositions o Learn quickly about what is going to kill us o Humans can easily develop classically conditioned nausea  Applications of classical conditioning o Advertisers use classical conditioning principles to make us feel good about their products o EG nail biting with the nail polish for nail biting  Alcoholics maybe conditioned with aversive experiences to reverse positive associations with alcohol  Drug that affects the immune response may cause the taste of the drug to invoke an immune response  UCS – unconditioned stimulus  UCR – unconditioned response  CS – conditioned stimulus  CR – conditioned response - Operant conditioning o Associative learning  Conditinoned stimulus with unconditioned stimulus  My behaviours and consequences of my behaviors  Automatic response to certain stimulus  Operate on environment to produce rewarding or punishing stimuli o Thorndike’s law of effect  Concequences of behavour determine whether it is repearted (if rewarded will do again, if punished will not do again) o Burrhus Frederick Skinner  Expanded thorndike’s work  ‘skinner box’  Operant conditioning: X happens – the last time X happened, I did t Y and Z happened  I like Z so do Y again  X = discriminative stimulus  Y= operant response  Z = Positive reinforcement/ negative reinforcement (punishment)  EG: Phone beep – last time phone beeped checked it and msg from greg, msg make me  so I check again, visa versa o Events that strangthen the response  Positive reinforcement/negative o Events that weaken response  Punishment/extinction o Renforcers  Positive: strengthen response, ad
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 100

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.