PSYC 102 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Pluralistic Ignorance, We Wanna, Mental Disorder

44 views8 pages
25 Apr 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor
selahanna2005 and 40086 others unlocked
PSYC 102 Full Course Notes
PSYC 102 Full Course Notes
Verified Note
61 documents

Document Summary

Attitudes - positive or negative evaluations of objects of thought. Cognitive component (belief, ideas) > gun owners shoot themselves more than intruders. Affective component (emotions, feelings) > i hate guns. Behavioural component (predisposition to act) > i vote support gun control policies. Based on 3 components: attitude strength: how strong is your belief, attitude accessibility: how quickly your attitude comes to mind, attitude ambivalence: if the person sees both sides of the problem, felling ambivalence => hardly they will behave. Predicting behaviour: behaviour is shaped by our subjective perceptions of how others expect us to behave: also must consider situational constraints. Cognitive dissonance exists when related cognitions (or a behaviour) are inconsistent that is, when they contradict each other. Because i don"t want to admit that i am not an active guy or admitting that i enjoy the stressfulness of my kids more > i must be loving my kids so i give up other things.